Author Topic: Ear Medical Group in San Antonio  (Read 2660 times)

TxNurseNoelle

Ear Medical Group in San Antonio
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:52:13 am »
Hi all, Was hoping I could get some feedback on the Ear Medical Group in San Antonio. I am in watch and wait presently but am having my 2nd MRI in April and it looks like sugery may be in my future. Dr King will be the surgeon and was hoping someone out here in the forum could let me know if they were satisfied with the care. Thanks

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Ear Medical Group in San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:43:43 am »
TxNurseNoelle,

Welcome to the forum.  While I've never heard of Ear Medical Group in San Antonio, I wanted to welcome you to the forum.  I'm in Houston and had surgery at Methodist Hospital in Houston.  I did some research into the Ear Group.  While their website is pretty plain (http://www.earmedicalgroup.com/default.asp) it gives some pretty good information about the doctors.  In particular, they seem to focus on AN's and like tumors, which is good.  Another positive that I saw was that one of the doctors (Dr. Syms) did a Fellowship at House, arguably one of the best institutions around for AN's.  While Dr. King didn't do any study there, she no doubt gets some of her expertise from Dr. Syms.

I did find it curious that Dr. King was doing the surgery alone.  Usually, surgery is done with a team of Dr's.  I wonder if Dr. Syms will be involved in the surgery at all?

You didn't mention any particulars about your AN.. Size, location (if known), current symptoms, etc.. It's possible that you have other options, like radiation.  If you're currently w+w, then I suspect that you may have those options available to you as well.  I had surgery in Houston with Drs Vrabek and Trask and had a great experience overall.  I know some other people had radiation in the same hospital, so I know Methodist does both.  It might be worth your time to explore what options are available to you outside of the San Antonio immediate area.  I'm not knocking the Ear Medical Group, but there may be other options you haven't explored yet that are perfectly feasible.

For example, you can send your MRI to House and get a free consultation over the phone. 

Again, welcome to the forum.  I know others will chime in as well.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

kathylittlejohncobb

Re: Ear Medical Group in San Antonio
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:01:21 pm »
I, too, am not familiar with the Ear Medical Group in San Antonio.  I just know that my ENT & neurosurgeon in Shreveport, La., told me to research online the House Institute/Clinic in Los Angeles because it is so highly regarded.  That is what we did, and that is where I had my surgery.  Would go there again.
Am wondering if you have made any decisions on your care.  Let us know,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!