Author Topic: Need your opinion....  (Read 3483 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Need your opinion....
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:34:21 pm »
I just got back from my consultation with the Oculoplastic Surgeon in Nashville. I saw Kim Klippenstein (Lori....this is Wesley's partner). My canthoplasty and canthopexy on my left eye is scheduled for March 13th. She said that by lifting the eye it will make it easier to get full closure when I blink but it will change the shape of the eye. I don't want one eye to be pulled up and the other eye to look completely different so I told her that I wanted my right done to match. She wouldn't do this right away as she said that she wanted to get my left eye where it needs to be then we could do the right eye 3 months later. I know that this procedure is done for purely cosmetic purposes in some ladies so I really don't know what the big deal is to do it all at once. Now it will be a second surgery, hotel since it is 6 hours away, etc. etc. Plus this one won't be covered by insurance so it will tack on anesthesia bills. ( for the right eye) Would you guys go with this or go ahead and have both eyes done at the same time? Also my facial therapist at Vanderbilt said to wait 3 years to have this done but my eye is killing me and this will help with closure so I don't understand the 3 year wait.......I haven't had any Huge improvements in a while and can't imagine alot coming after the 19 month mark. I am very confused as to what to do. I just know that I need to do something because this eye is driving me crazy. She would only do a canthopexy on the right eye to match the shape. Surely since she is also a cosmetic surgeon then she understands the importance of symmetry and not just function. I am also torn as to whether I should just go to a Cosmetic plastic surgeon who does these for cosmetic reasons thinking maybe they would understand the importance of how it is going to look and not just how it is going to function. This lady that I went to is an Oculoplastic surgeon and only does eyes. It makes sense to me that she would be the best person for this but what do you guys think. She specializes in reconstruction, cosmetic and plastic surgery so I don't know. I really need some advise because I have to make up my mind within the next week or so. Also do they make the incision in the corner of the eye for the canthoplasty and pexy? I need to call on Monday and get some answers but was thinking you guys might know. I've had a canthopexy about 1 year ago and they went through the corner of the eye but I wasn't sure with the canthoplasty. I am VERY nervous about this but I do want to make things better but my husband doesn't want them to change the shape of my eyes drastically. He is leaving it up to me. Who should do this surgery and what do you think about doing both eyes to match?
HELP!
Angie

Kaybo

Re: Need your opinion....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:43:41 pm »
Angie~
Speaking as someone who waited 12 YEARS for some kind of symmetry, I would DEFINITELY do what the Dr. suggests - even if you have to wait a year or two or three!  I, personally, think that the reason that she wants to wait is b/c you DO have to pay for the good eye yourself and she wants you to only have to go thru that once.  Honestly, I can't even tell you HOW many eye surgeries I have had at this point.  It is VERY tricky to get it EXACTLY right (whether she specializes in eyes or not) and she wants to make sure it is a really good thing before she matches the other eye to it.  If you eye is hurting you so bad, I would go ahead and do the "bad" eye to get some relief and make sure that is how it will end up before you start doing the other!  Also, I would definitely stay with the Occulo...if you go to a regular plastics person, they might do it all sooner, but you need that eye expertise!
Just my thoughts...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:36 pm »
Hi Angie:  The surgeon I had the canthoplexy with is an oculoplastic also,  & his symmetry to my left eye is near perfect.  So I feel there is a difference with these specialized surgeons.  Having both eyes done is your decision - you know yourself.  I do want to tell you though,  the only change I would have made for myself was not having done a lower eyelid surgery because there will always be a slight bump on my lower right lid,  but it's gone on the left (& I can't get it back !).  I am though very glad I had the upper eyelids done.   As long as you know this surgeon does excellent work, I would use an oculoplastic hands down.

Good luck Angie,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:06:17 pm »
Angie,

I had a canthoplasty (the lower lid was lifted) along with a small torsorapphy (a couple of stitches in the corner of my eye).  Both procedures were done at the same time.  Even after all of that work my bad eye looks pretty much the same as my good eye.  I find it hard to notice any difference and I'm looking for it.  That might be another reason to wait.  There may not end up being that much difference after it's had time to heal.  My opinion, for what it's worth, is to wait on doing the other eye.

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:40 pm »
Hi Angie.

I'm glad you were able to get your appointment in Nashville.  I've seen Dr. K, and she's very sweet also.

I really don't have much advice to offer.  I know Dr. Wesley did a great job on my eye - he had warned me that we might have to compromise a bit cosmetically to relieve the pain, but it was a risk I was willing to take to get rid of the pain I was having at that point.  And honestly, I think he's the only one that can notice any difference between my good and bad eye - and I think it's safe to say, he looks a lot more closely at them than most people do.  I guess it's a personal decision.  I was more interested in not suffering any more and frankly, I didn't care what I looked like afterward.  Fortunately, I looked better after all was said and done.

I guess if I were in your situation, I'd probably just do that bad eye.  You may find out, like I did, that it looks just fine without doing the other.  And if you really need the other done, at least you know for sure and you don't start fixing what isn't broken to begin with.  That's just my opinion, but you could spend your whole life trying to make everything perfect - and I'm pretty sure we're not meant to be in the first place.   ;)

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:56:33 pm »
Angie:  If you want a 2nd opinion,& have the option, time, etc.,  you can make an appt. with Dr. David Tenzel,  he is the BOMB ! !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42:26 am »
Hi Angie. You might e-mail or call your facial therapist and pose this question to her. She may have insight that none of us can provide.

If you are feeling pressured to make this decision based on a March 13 surgery date, then my advice is to postpone it just a little while until you feel more at peace with your decision. I know it's very hard to keep waiting, but I think I would wait until July when it's been a full two years since your initial surgery, and get opinions from as many professionals as possible. For instance, call the oculoplastic surgeon back and find out exactly why she thinks you should go back later for the second eye. Call your facial therapist and ask why she wants you to wait three years.

Blessings to you,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:08 pm »
Hi again, Angie. You've been on my mind the last couple of days, and I wanted you to know that no matter what you decide to do, I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13