Author Topic: BAHA Implant Problems  (Read 29928 times)

lori67

Re: BAHA Implant Problems
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:01:20 am »
Jan,

You can put on your processor with one hand?  Wow, you're good.  I need one hand just to get my hair out of the way.

Robin, I think we've all knocked our processor off at least once.  I have a tendency to hit my head on things too (good thing I'm not tall!), so I've knocked mine off saving a Barbie from under the end table,  getting the kids into the car and once when I fell asleep on a long car trip (I wasn't driving..) - woke up and couldn't find the thing anywhere.  I was in a panic, until I opened the car door and heard it hit the pavement.   :o  Now I know to take it off before I drift off...Why must I learn everything the hard way??

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »
Interesting that you'd mention "the jar of beads" Catherine.

I have never used mine - and in fact totally forgot about them until I came across them the other day (almost one year after I got them).

I store my processor in the little black oval box that it came in.  I had it on my desk one day at work and a colleague thought it was the cutest box she's ever seen.  She excitedly asked me what was in it - when I told her she was a little disappointed  :D

And, yes, Lori, I have mastered putting the processor on with one hand - never thought I could say that when I first got it  ::)

From reading your last post all I can say is it's a good thing you got that BAHA insurance  :D  I still haven't looked into it; but I probably should.  Replacing it wouldn't be cheap  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 06:56:53 pm »
Jan, tsk..tsk..you're supposed to use the magic beads every night - it helps to draw any moisture out of the processor.  What kind of example are you setting for the new BAHA-ers??

Yes, insurance is a good idea for me - I'm like a bull in a china shop.  And I didn't even remind you of the time the top of the chest freezer fell, hit me in the head and knocked my processor into the deep, dark recesses of said freezer.  James came walking into the garage to see my feet sticking up out of the freezer as I tried to fish the BAHA out of the very bottom (I'm not very tall..).  I was less worried about being frozen to death than having to replace my beloved BAHA!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 08:34:15 pm »
Interesting that you'd mention "the jar of beads" Catherine.
I have never used mine - and in fact totally forgot about them until I came across them the other day (almost one year after I got them).

Jan,

Lori's right -- you should definitely be using those magic beads! I know that Chicago gets humid in the summer -- and you don't want your BAHA to mildew! So start using it tonight so you'll get in the habit! I keep my battery in the black oval box overnight.

Catherine
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 08:53:01 pm »
Seriously, you guys  ???  I bet you both floss nightly too, right?  ;)

I thought the beads were just for those "unusual" humid situations - you know, like a trip to the rain forest, an adventure in a dense forest or jungle, etc.  You know, basically the life I don't lead.

I didn't wear my BAHA outside on really hot or humid days this past summer.  And I didn't wear it on sweaty occasions (like cutting the grass) either.  Isn't that enough to prevent mildew?

I'm very protective of it if it rains - don't want water damage - and I ALWAYS feel my head before I go into the shower - even if I'm 99.9% certain it's not attached to my skull.

Guess I'll dig out the beads for you, though.

Lori -  I totally forgot about the Freezer Incident.  Thanks for reminding me - I needed a good laugh today.  I keep picturing your legs sticking out of the freezer  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:55 pm »
Seriously, you guys  ???  I bet you both floss nightly too, right?  ;)Oh, yes. And I told my dental hygienist that I took dental floss to the hospital and dragged my IV pole into the bathroom every day I was in the hospital to floss my teeth. She has since told me that she has told that story to lots of her patients to make them feel guilty for not flossing.

I didn't wear my BAHA outside on really hot or humid days this past summer.  And I didn't wear it on sweaty occasions (like cutting the grass) either.  Isn't that enough to prevent mildew? NO!

I'm very protective of it if it rains - don't want water damage - and I ALWAYS feel my head before I go into the shower - even if I'm 99.9% certain it's not attached to my skull. Good practice -- I always do that, too.

Guess I'll dig out the beads for you, though  Thank you!

Catherine
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »
No way, Catherine (gasp)!!!  Are you serious about the hospital flossing??

Even on a good day I'm not a flosser - we were never told to do it as children (yes, I'm old) and I never picked up the habit as a grownup.  I'm finding it especially hard to get on my kids' backs about flossing despite a recent lecture from their dentist  ::)  Yes, I AM a bad example at times  :P

I'll try to remember to use the beads though  :-[

Jan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 09:35:58 pm »
No way, Catherine (gasp)!!!  Are you serious about the hospital flossing??Yes, I really did floss every day. But remember, I was feeling (relatively) fine while I was in the hospital. I'm sure if I had been dizzy or throwing up every 10 minutes I would not have thought about flossing my teeth!

Yes, I AM a bad example at times  :PJan, I'm sure the good more than outweighs the bad.

Catherine
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 02:08:03 pm »
Well, Jan, yes, I do floss nightly - only because with the facial nerve issues, I always feel like there's something stuck in my teeth on my bad side - although I can't chew on that side so I'm not sure how anything would get stuck there.  It just feels like it.  Besides, I have so many dental problems to begin with, I figure if I can make my dentist happy about one thing I might as well do it!  But you're right - I was never told as a kid to floss.  Then again, I didn't wear a bike helmet or sit in a car seat, so it's a wonder I survived at all.

And when I'm not busy flossing, I frequently travel through the rain forest!  Maybe the high humidity is causing the BAHA implant issues...

Lori

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 06:49:06 pm »
OK - I don't have a BAHA (or BAHA envy) but I am reading this thread??  Of course, I have to comment about the flossing issue.  Jan, you are not the only one - I don't floss either and it is VERY hard to remind the girlies!  I feel like the hygienist is always thinking I am a horrible parent!!   :o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 07:00:47 pm »
Well, Jan, yes, I do floss nightly - only because with the facial nerve issues, I always feel like there's something stuck in my teeth on my bad side - although I can't chew on that side so I'm not sure how anything would get stuck there.  It just feels like it. 

Lori - 

ever considered an electric toothbrush?  It might help.

We better stop this hijack real soon - before Phyl discovers it  :P

Jan

robinstwo

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 08:31:52 pm »
Jan, Lori, Catherine
You guys are great!  I learned a good deal from you.  It's nice to know I not the only short klutz around. 

I did not know about the moisture wicking beads and that the processer needs to be dehumidified daily which I will probably do since I live in FL on the water where it is really humid.  I will need to find out more about the BAHA insurance that was mentioned.  I think that leash will come in handy in the beginning.  Now I have two things to do before snoozing, the eye and the BAHA.  No it doesn't include flossing  ;D

Robin

2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 06:00:11 am »
Robin, glad to hear you're with Kaybo and me on the flossing issue  ;)

Also glad we could all help you with our BAHA input.  Please don't ever hesitate to ask when you have questions.  I gained so much from this forum prior to my implant - and I still continue to gain so much today.

Jan

lori67

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 09:07:07 am »
Robin,

In Florida on the water, huh?  Well, if you need help attaching your processor, you just let me know - I think I can endure being in the Sunshine State on the water for a few days to help you out!   ;D

If you look under Hearing Issues on the home page and then look in there, there are a few threads on BAHA insurance.  You'll get the one year warranty from the company but after that you either have to extend that (for a cost, of course) or you can add a personal articles rider onto your Homeowners or Renters insurance policy.  For me, it worked out cheaper to go through my Homeowners insurance, but that might not be the case for everyone.  Either way, you'll have a year to think about it.

Lori

robinstwo

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 07:25:16 pm »
Lori,

Thanks for the input on the BAHA insurance.  I'll check with my insurance company to see what they say.  Come on down, beaches are great especially around Panama City and Destin.

Robin
2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.