Author Topic: Another Iowa mid-fossa....  (Read 3094 times)

Girlfriend

Another Iowa mid-fossa....
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:41:36 pm »
Hi all,

Several of you have been kind enough to respond to a few inquiries I've made on behalf of my partner.  We really struggled over which treatment path to take, so after consulting with Dr. Hansen at U of Iowa (who recommended mid-fossa), went up to Mayo for a second opinion--especially from folks who have GK as an option.  Came away with even more options (retrosigmoid or GK). Then came back to Iowa and had a consult with Dr. Gantz.  Have finally decided to go with Dr. Gantz and mid-fossa surgery in mid-April.  The lack of long-term GK studies re: hearing preservation, the less likelihood of headaches with MF, and our confidence in Gantz all played a role.  We are RELIEVED to have the decision made, and looking forward to the path towards recovery.  I can't say enough about how helpful this site has been. 

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Another Iowa mid-fossa....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:47:43 pm »
Congrats on making a decision.  Go to the Treatment calendar (bottom of sgerrard's signature) and put it on the calendar if you wish.  This is definitely a milestone in the AN Journey..  Congrats!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:04:20 pm »
'Girlfriend' ~

For most AN patients, the treatment decision-making process is often tedious and confusing.  I'm delighted to learn that you and your partner have made a final treatment decision and can now look forward to experiencing a successful surgery and a full recovery.  I'm also pleased to learn that this site and the forums were of some help to you both.  I trust that will continue as you both travel this road to wellness.  We'll be here and we'll support you both in any way we can.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »
Good to hear of another person going with Dr Gantz!       Many of us have.     My last surgery was April 17th last year with him.    ( I am NF2 so he knows me well!)      My appt with him this year is April 8th.     Of course nervous right now as will have MRI there too.      The nurses are very nice on JPW 3rd floor.                     Feel free to ask any questions as there a few of us who can answer Iowa ones and many who can talk about mid fossa and AN surgery!
                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:22 pm »
Hi there,

I am new to this site. I am glad that you made a choice. Like everybody says this is the most difficult choice to make. I will be seeing my surgeon on Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone knows on what occasions will the doctor decide himself on the type of surgery?

Thanks.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »
Hi Girlfriend,

Glad you went back and talked to Gantz. He's good! Also glad you were able to make a decision on what was best for you guys. Feel free to PM me again if you have any other questions.  ;D

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »
Hey Girlfriend,  Good for you in making your choice.  Dr. Gantz has a growing fan club in Iowa (and from other parts of the country.)  He will take very good care of you.  Your fellow ANers in Iowa will be here for you if and when you want to talk.  It helps to have supporters who understand what you are experiencing.  You will do great.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)