Author Topic: Reintroducing myself in new thread  (Read 6984 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Reintroducing myself in new thread
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
Welcome Tara!  I have family in Pittsburgh (actually, Sarver just outside of Pittsburgh) and have been to the area (from North Hills to Sarver to downtown Pittsburgh and everywhere in the area).  I have two small kids (3 and 9) and both took the whole ordeal in stride.  My youngest actually said that a man hit me when we got into a fight (referring to my scar).  Kids are resilient and yours will be too.

Welcome to the group and this forum!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

TaraT

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:53 pm »
Hi everyone!  I think I am now ready for my surgery on March 24th.  Well, not really but as ready as I will ever be.  I went to the Hearing and Balance Institute in Pittsburgh on Thursday.  I had an ENG and the technician said that the balance mechanism on the right side is pretty well damaged which is a good thing since I am having a translab.  I had some other tests.  I then met with Dr. Aziz, the neurosurgeon.  I have to say that he is wonderful.  He is so kind and compassionate.  He made me feel so good.  He pretty much said everything is going to be okay and I think I needed to hear that.  On Friday, I went and had the preop testing done (EKG, chest x-ray, blood work) and an echocardiogram.  Today, I had my physical by the family doctor.  I want to say again that you guys are great.  It is nice not to be "alone."  Take care!

Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

moe

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 02:33:09 pm »
Great that you feel comfortable with your doc. Since the balance mechanism on the right side is pretty well damaged, hopefully you have been compensating on the other side. So when you have your surgery, hopefully you won't have a big prob with vertigo post op, which is normal. I had NO vertigo/dizziness other than what I had prior to surgery, because I had compensated on the other side. Hang in there :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Trackman

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 08:05:41 pm »
Tara

As you know. I also had Dr Aziz and Dr Chen. Your pre op schedule was similar to mine. The tech told me my balance nerve was damaged also, but be prepared for a few days or weeks to get used to the balance issuses. I had a great  outcoming and I am sure you will also. I will have Dr Chen implant a BAHA on 4/17, by then you will be a long into your recovery.
 Good luck.

Mitvh

bdsgurl

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:20 pm »
hi Tara,

I was diagnosed with a 4 cm AN end of Jan, had surgery (translab) 2/11. I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow!!! I am doing really well, my strength is coming back and i am starting to really get into the swing of being mommy again...I have a 6, 3 and 7 month old. They have all done really well, I was even able to continue nursing the 7 month old!!! YAY! You will do great, and so will your son. Before you know it, youll be on the other side of this surgery and be able to start putting this all behind you. Hugs.

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 10:57:03 pm »
Hi Tara,

It sounds like you are all set. All that remains is to see what adjective David comes up with for the week of March 22, when he does the weekly round up. You'll be in there, and we will be rooting for you!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

acabitz

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 09:47:17 am »
TaraT, right there with ya.  I've been diagnosed with 3cm AN right side a week ago.  Your surgery was 3 days ago!  Hope all went well.  Let us know how you're donig when you get up and running again.  Best wishes.