Author Topic: I have a date.  (Read 5226 times)

allegro17

I have a date.
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:39:44 am »
Ok, I took the leap and did it.  I never thought I'd say this but... I scheduled my surgery.
It will be 4/28 at SBI.  Certainly not the first available date, but I think the one I was most comfortable with.  I think they were a little surpirsed that I didn't want to come sooner! 
So now I am about to jump ino the logistics - there will be quite a bit of travelling involved in this for me!  And I'll have to figure what to do with my Kitty while I am away in LA and then recovering in NY with my family.  I wasn't so prepared for all of this, but I will figure it out!
I have been hearing different things from different people, but do any SBI alumni know how long I can expect to be in the hospital?  I have heard anything from less than 24 hours (which I have a hard time believeing) to up to 72.  I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving the hospital the day after brain surgery so I wonder if this really is the case and how that felt?
Also, any info on how soon you flew back home is appreciated.  My surgery is on a Tuesday and they essentially told me I could fly that weekend.
Eeeeeek!   :D

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: I have a date.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:23:06 am »
Laura,

First, congratulations on setting a date for surgery.  That's a HUGE milestone to get over.  I'm proud of you for that..

I can't speak directly to SBI practices, but generally I've seen people stay in the hospital 3-4 days after surgery.  That's been pretty much the norm from what I've seen no matter where the surgery takes place.  I'm with you in thinking that 24 hours is kinda hard to believe.  I admittedly had my surgery on a Thursday and I don't recall anything clearly until Saturday or Sunday.  I was discharged on the next Tuesday.  I would think that being discharged before the weekend after a Tuesday morning surgery is perfectly normal.  I would ask them about flying right after discharge.  I think even House recommends that you stay in the LA area for a couple of weeks before flying anywhere else.

I know that eventually flying is allowed, but I can't speak as to when that is.. but, my gut tells me that it's at least 2 weeks before flying.  Part of the reason is they want the incision to be well on the way to healing first and anything that might affect pressue (like flying) is disallowed until at least the stitches / staples are removed and there are no problems.  I'll let others answer that one because they'll have more info.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:17:22 pm »
Hi, Brian,

You mention that "House recommends that you stay in the LA area for a couple of weeks before flying anywhere else." I believe that 10 days post-op is more the norm at House. That's what they told me when I signed up for my surgery there last year, and I indeed flew from L.A. back to New Jersey at that 10-day mark without any problems. While I was there I recall that a couple of patients flew back home a day or two earlier than their 10-day mark ... with full permission.

Every doctor seems to have his/her own opinion on flying so it's best to follow your own doctor's advice ... and rest assured that you won't be released to fly before you're ready.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:53:05 pm »
Laura ~

I just wanted to offer my congratulations on your scheduling a surgery date at SBI.  This is a definite milestone - and you've passed it!  :)

The SBI website http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/acoustic-neuroma/ states that most patients undergoing endoscopic AN removal surgery are discharged within 48 hours. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:01:38 pm »
Catherine,

Ahh... 10 days, 2 weeks.. who's counting. ;)  Oh wait, Laura is..  I knew it was in that general time frame.  Can I blame it on the AN?  It just floors me that you could fly so soon after surgery.. after my surgery, I just wanted to sleep for about a month.  Heh.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Esperanza

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »
Laura,
You must be very relieved - and despite this sounding bizarre - although this AN thing is all a bit like that at times I think! - I am envious - yes!! envious!!
I am going to start an SBI fund and maybe I will knit hats and sell them if Steve will send me the pattern (they look fab - beany's are very popular this side of the
pond!)  ;D
Be good to yourself over the next few weeks..
x
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:58:35 pm »
Congratulations on making your decision, Laura.

As we all know; not an easy task.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

allegro17

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:23:42 am »
Thanks everyone!  Your support really helps make this a lot easier.
Esperanza, I know what you mean about feeling envious!  I feel that way about all those who have had treatment and are now on the way to recovery. You will do what you need to when the time is right for you :)
It has been really tough for me to feel like I can stay productive and motivated with all of this hanging in my immediate future.  I've just been feeling stuck in a major rut, so I am REALLY looking forward to getting PAST it and being able to move forward with some direction again! 
I hope these next 7 weeks go by quickly!!!!!!

rkks

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:54:46 am »
Laura,

Our son Jared (age 19) had his surgery at SBI on Monday, Dec. 29, 2008.  He was released from the hospital (Brotman) 48 hours later at noon on Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2008.  We spent another 48 hours in L.A. at a motel and then flew out of L.A. on Friday, Jan. 2, 2009 in the late afternoon to Denver.  The next day, Staurday, Jan. 3, 2009 we drove from DIA to our home in western Kansas, about a 6 hour drive.  This schedule was exactly as Dr. Shahinian and SBI had told us in our conversations with them.

We want to congratulate you on your appointment with SBI.  We know you will be in good hands with Dr. Shahinian.  If you have any questions concerning our experience with SBI please don't hesitate to contact us.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Ron & Karen
Parents of Jared (age 19)
Right side AN (10x9x7 mm)
Diagnosed 9-17-08
Endoscopic surgery on 12-29-08
Skull Base Institute, Los Angeles
Dr. Hrayr Shahinian

Seal

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:08:36 pm »
Hi Laura,

Congratulations on your decision.   I will be at SBI for my operation in annother 10 days or so.     I am also hoping for a quick recovery, but I am not under any illusions that a  52 yr old guy will be as quick to repair as a 19 yr old !!! ;D     Like you, I will be traveling across the country for  this operation.   They gave me confident assurances that I will be discharged in 48 hours, and I should be good to travel in another 48 hours.    I plan to stay local for three days, and then I'll fly home on that next Monday.    I am lucky because I have quite a few friends out there,    Plus my wife will make the trip with me too. 

Stay in touch, and I can give you plenty of feedback towards the end of the month.     

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »
Laura,
Congratulations on making your treatment choice.  In my opinion, this is one of the  hardest parts of the AN journey.  SBI seems to be getting a lot of business from ANers lately, and so far it all sounds good.  April 28 may seem like it's far off now, but with all the preparations you have to make, it will be here before you know it -- I speak from experience.  Maybe your cat can come to NY with you -- they really don't like being left behind for  very long.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

acabitz

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:40:34 am »
Allegro17, I'm right on your heels.  Ive been doing research comparing the TRANSLAB approach to what Dr. S is doing at the SBI and I've got to admit, I'm leaning towards LA.    Keep up us to date on your post op.  So far from the ANA Forum, the feedback is great for SBI.  I think you made a great decision.  I'm flying out to LA this Monday 3/30 to consult Dr. S.  Best of luck to you!

acabitz

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 10:49:25 am »
That's funny , I think we replied to each other around the same time.  I will definetly let you know how the trip to LA goes, what I thought of the faciltiy and Dr. S. 
Thanks for all your input, stay in touch!

acabitz

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:37 am »
Allegro,
Still trying to get used to getting aruond this site.  Found a reply you had about SBI and United HealthCare.  What happend with that?  I've got UHC as well!  Am I going to have some financial issues too with UHC?  What did you discover since your coming up fast to the 28th?

allegro17

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 12:07:09 pm »
I was worried I might have some UHC issues... but luckily I have had none!  I made sure to get proactive early to make sure I wouldn't have any unexpected problems, and to make sure UHC had all the info they needed from SBI to approve coverage.  I got word yesterday that the procedure will be covered.... yeah!  SBI has a lot of experience dealing w/ insurance, from what they have told me, but the best thing I can say is to remain active and well informed in the process.
For what it's worth, I had to request a "clinical gap exception", which to my understanding is something different than a "gap exception".  I don't know if that will be the same for you...  I'm not so great at understanding the ins and outs when it comes to insurance companies :)
Laura