Author Topic: Excellent news  (Read 4767 times)

kenneth_k

Excellent news
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »
Hello everyone.

Excellent news. As I live in Denmark, I didn't have to pay for examinations and surgery. It's covered by government taxes. Apparently, I also have insurance through work regarding critical diseases such as stroke, cardiac arrest, cancer, and yes...... certain benign brain tumors i.e. an acoustic neuroma/vestibular schwannoma.

Conditions: The outcome must be uncertain, OR moderate to severe conditions post-op at three months.

Now I must be a slow healer because my conditions at three months are: Single Sided Deaf (no surprise), tinnitus worsened, some balance issues, temporary late onset facial palsy (now HB 2), taste disorder, gustatory sweating. BUT it is my hope and expectation at H+12 months, only SSD left.

I just received a letter stating I will get financial compensation. It is not that much, but I do get a picture in my head of an early summer vacation in Greece with the wife and kids. Eating ice cream at the beach, eating spicy foods and drinking red wine for dinner (by then the bad taste must be gone ;))

Just wanted to share some good news and happy thoughts,

Kenneth.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:36:33 pm by kenneth_k »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Excellent news
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:01 pm »
Hej, Kenneth:

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the good news about your being awarded financial compensation for your AN-related issues.  I like your cheery attitude about how you'll spend the kroners.  Thanks for sharing your positive news.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:28:03 pm »
Great News Kenneth!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:19:57 pm »
First, let me be the 3rd to congratulate you on the great news!  Second...

Now I must be a slow healer because my conditions at three months are: Single Sided Deaf (no surprise), tinnitus worsened, some balance issues, temporary late onset facial palsy (now HB 2), taste disorder, gustatory sweating. BUT it is my hope and expectation at H+12 months, only SSD left.

Actually, you almost always get to keep the tinnitus too  :-\  I am facing the same realization as I have loud tinnitus, and am hopeful that that will be the only lasting symptom I have a year after surgery.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:28:06 pm »
Congratulations, Kenneth  ;D

The potential vacation in Greece sounds spectacular!  Wish it were me!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:11:25 am »
Kenneth,

You have such a positive outlook you are just amazing.  The potential vacation in Greece sounds great too -- the way you described your plans, i can just picture it -- lucky you!  I hope you're right about everything else too!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:15:28 am »
I have wanted to go to Greece after seeing Mama Mia - I guess I will have to see it thru your eyes!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!