Author Topic: Stress???  (Read 14435 times)

cin605

Stress???
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »
Does anyone get increase in symptoms when stressed?such...balance decrese more than already is...headach..swelling at incision
sit....heavy head..fatiigue..nausea...vision problems?????
It seems when i am stressed every thing seems to magnify to extreme when i am worried or do to much & get stressed in general.
I am felling so awful.My head just wants to sheke back n forth my neck is constantly stiff.
Thanks cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
Re: Stress???
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:43:30 pm »
I too was in a stressful situation and all my symptons seemed to return, balance, dry mouth, dry eye and cognitive.  When I asked my surgeon he said my nerves are permanently compromised and anytime I experience stress my weaknesses will increase.  About the time I feel like a new person, something happens to remind me that I still have residual effects. Ninety five percent of the time I am doing great and feel really blessed to be alive and functioning pretty well! Blessings, Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

GRACE1

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:58 pm »
Zanybrainy, I love your sign-in name - or whatever you call it.  We would make a good pair:  Zanybrainy and Spacie Gracie.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »
Hi, Cindy:

Unfortunately, many post-operative AN patients do experience an increase in symptoms when they're stressed.  Your doctor may be able to prescribe something for stress.  I know that many of our members have used alternative medicine and therapy, including acupuncture, to help relieve their stress-related symptoms.  I trust some of them will post to this thread and offer some suggestions and/or advice. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:20:21 pm »
Cindy -

I notice symptoms both when I'm stressed and when I'm tired.  Unfortunately these are usually two fairly constant characteristics of my life  ::)

Seriously, my left (AN) eye tends to get dry and irritated, I experience dry mouth, and my balance starts to take on the drunken-sailor appearance.  I also start to stumble over my words or use the wrong ones; my brain is thinking one word but my mouth says another.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cin605

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:52:35 am »
O.K.......Seems i better get used to this annoying factor.
I really am finding this "Journey" a little on the strange side ,like right out of the twigh light Zone!Every week its some new wierd discovery.
I think i am looking to vent!Just one really LOUD scream...so my neighbors will KNOW that i really did have brain surgery.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:12:21 am »
Spacie Gracie,  I love your name and am so glad to see so many people that look at this journey with a sense of humor.  Originally I shared my name with some friends and got very mixed reactions. Some people are so serious about my roomate (partially removed AN) that I hesitate to share with them.  God, humor and  my great husband, definitely keep me going.    Have a Spacie day, Cath :)
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

JudyT

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:10 am »
Jan.....I too have dry eye.....use refresh many times a day. Stress results in balance issues,headache, pressure etc. Life gets very difficult. I am 4 years out from CK......my symptoms are worse than ever.

Judy

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:38:07 pm »
I feel my symptoms more when I am stressed out.  Dr. McKenna had told meto try to decrease this so I thought I would

1. quit my job.
2. stop taking care of my elderly parents.
3.  stop paying my bills

and climb the highest mountain and start singing like Juie Andrews from the sound of music!!

Just Kidding!!!

My job is very stressful, my parents are sickly and elderly and of course I need my job to pay my bills.  So instead of taking pills for the all of my symptoms, I bought a treadmill and have been walking!!

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:00:49 pm »
WHEW Lisa:   I thought you lost your mind there ! !   Boy have you got it piled on !   
Keep a peaceful heart....     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:17 pm »
stress or being tired both make any symptoms I have worse... from balance to headaches

doctor told me to reduce and remove stress from my life which would mean getting rid of my kids
and just can't bring myself to do that ...who is gonna look after me when I am old ?

really I have just had to adjust things to work better for the new me ... and the kids aren't to bad just
always there ...soemthing you can't take time off from like clocking out of work or taking vacation time ...
and they are getting more involved in more things like Saturday basketball league and photography club
with 4-H so having to readjust again to make sure I can get them to where they need to be and not
wear myself out  doing it ...someone told me not to let them take part in things , but why should they
suffer for my illness?

we manage and husband takes up the reins when I stall out
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 03:15:11 pm »
Yes, stress and fatigue, and oh yes, let's not forget the common cold which laid me out for a week.  My nerve pain was worse, my head tightening (which was virtually gone) came back and I pretty much fell apart.  And it is weird, changes every day so that I never quite get a handle on it.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

JudyT

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 11:58:24 am »
It seems we think it's our "JOB" to make it all good for everybody.....but ourselves. I know I have been guilty of this my whole life....I am now 69, a widow, STILL a mom ( always will be) grandmother etc. Sometimes it's great fun to do my "JOB"......but now....I'm not in the back of the bus....I'm driving it! I ask for help when I need it."Super Mom & Nanny" doesn't fit anymore......I'm NOT super anything....just want to be me, take care of me....say no when need be (can't do it to good with grandkids) I can't run on empty, just like my car, gotta keep the tank full......make good choices for my best interests and then I can be the best I can be for others and "pay it forward" with pleasure. This affords me rewards to many to mention. "Down Days" are going to be there.....everyday is different...planning difficult....capabilities change....wantings not fulfilled....disappointments.....outlook grim and more. "Good Days" are here too.....thank God.....how blessed I am. I really have empathy for the young wives and mother's that come to this site.....their reponsibilities are HUGE....their concerns for their circumstances valid.....if I had to face them now it is doubtful I would be able to cope.....dealing with just me is demanding enough. Keep up the "good fight".....life is worth the living and doing as best you can.
Judy

Pascale

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 12:54:32 pm »
oh wow.

good to know we all feel kinda the same way when stressed. I realized my ear looses a bit of the hearing when I get really stressed, something that freaked me out since I don't really have any hearing loss...So I kept on thinking that maybe my tumor was swelling because of the radiation.  :'(

In regards to acupuncture, I know it's VERY beneficial for the whole body. But I've heard that because it "opens" up the passage for the energy that is "stuck" in a particular place in the body (in our case the ears) it may increase the chances of the tumor "growing" since it gets more of the good energy flowing. I'm applying this theory to the AN but the person did not mention any tumors or anything in particular.

anyways, I'm also glad to know some of you get dry eyes. I thought I was getting them more often because I moved to SD where the air is already pretty dry... :o
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

moe

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 08:20:20 pm »
As my husband says "Life is stress." Gee thanks honey, now how do I deal with it? Yes, humor, faith and supporting spouse help, but sometimes you gotta remind the spouse to be supportive. >:(  Chocolate, and naps work for me. And just say NO is good too. My tinnitus gets worse, and my balance gets worse if I over do it. I just have to pace myself. Good things my kids are older
I feel bad that I can't do stuff, like volunteer, but I'm just trying to survive and take care of myself now. I am number one in my life. I ignored symptoms for so many years (I'm a nurse by trade- that doesn't help). So that's sometimes what happens. Thank God I don't have headaches.
I love my eye pillow too. I tape my bad eye with paper tape and put a lightweight lightly scented pillow and BREEEEATHE. Ymmm. I'm also into the aromatherapy roll on oils. You can find em at Bath and Body Works or places like that. There is even a headache one. Has eucalyptus/peppermint in it. Roll it on your wrists, rub the wrists together and Breathe in....
They have em for everything- energy, headache, relaxation, sleep....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty