Author Topic: MGH and MEEI  (Read 26322 times)

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
MGH and MEEI
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:12:09 am »
Hi everyone,

I’m new here, scared, and scheduled for surgery to remove a 2.5 cm acoustic neuroma in March at MGH in Boston.
I’ve read good things on one of the doctors who will be doing my surgery (Dr. Fred Barker), but has anyone any info on Dr. Daniel Lee from MEEI? He is in the same office as Dr. Mckenna.

Thanks
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: MGH and MEEI
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:20:35 pm »
Hi, SML and welcome ;D

It's normal to be scared, but try to remain calm.  Recovery from surgery takes a while (I've been there, too) but in the end everything will turn out okay. 

What surgical approach are you having? translab or retrosigmoid?

I've heard of Dr. McKenna, but not Drs. Barker or Lee, but that doesn't really mean anything since I'm nowhere near Boston (I'm in Illinois).

I'm betting that one of our moderators (Phyl) who is from the Boston area will be alone shortly and she'll most likely know Dr. Barker and/or Lee.

Hope to see you around the forum.  Hang in there  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »

I'm betting that one of our moderators (Phyl) who is from the Boston area will be alone shortly and she'll most likely know Dr. Barker and/or Lee.

Jan, you know me too well, Jan! :) Thank you!

Hi SML and welcome. Oh, you are in the cream of the crop of hands for New England for microsurgical treatment of AN's (I had radiation at Beth Israel approx 3 yrs ago on my small AN). Too many users on this site that  can share first hand experiences with Barker/McKenna/MGH/MEEI.  Some of the many patients here (on this site):  kbonner, CrazyKat, jcinma just to name a few.  Now, I can also share that I have met many of these MGH/MEEI patients face-to-face at brunches we have in Worcester a couple of times per year (next one in April).  To look at these folks, you would have no idea they had an AN or microsurgery with the MGH/MEEI team.  They all look absolutely fabulous and get along now post-surgery.

Go to the home page of this discussion forum... do a "Search" option on the top left for either Mass General Hospital or MEEI or Fred Barker (who I believe spoke at the 2007 ANA Bi-annual Symposium in Philadelphia) or McKenna.  Look for posts/threads by many users here that have been patients of the team.

Too many for me to count with many having fabulous outcomes... you are in... truly, the best of hands for New England.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:34:53 pm »
Perfectly normal to be scared.  I was terrified before my surgery! 

I had surgery in Sept 2006 with McKenna and Barker.  If Dr. Lee is in McKenna's office, too, I'm sure he's also excellent though I have no personal experience with him.  You're in the hands of some very skilled surgeons.  I wasn't too impressed with Dr. Barker's office persona but, quite frankly, that wasn't my primary concern when picking a neurosurgeon!  LOL!

At the time of surgery, my AN was 2.3cm.  I came through surgery (11 hours) with flying colors and have no lingering issues - other than being deaf on that side, which was a known outcome of translab surgery.  One of the things that impressed me about MGH was that they have anesthesiologists who only do neuro surgeries (quite a sub-specialty!) and they had developed specialized protocols for how to best manage anesthesia for AN patients.  To me, that says they have all the right experience. 

Please ask if you have any specific questions.  Many of us have been exactly where you are and completely understand the whirlwind that's going on.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:31:44 pm »
Hello SML
I also was evaluated by Dr. Lee and Dr. Barker back in 2006 for my AN. I cont to be in W/W mode on mine. Both of these physicians were wonderful in explaining every detail to me. I met Dr. Lee on several occ. and he was very caring and professional . He will e-mail you and return phone calls promptly. I wish you the very best in your upcoming surgery . Helen
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.

SML

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:54:33 am »
Thank you all for your help.

In dealing with the office help, I was starting to get concerned that I had chosen the right hospital. I’ve made endless phone calls trying to get more questions answered, and I still have not talked to either doctor (except for the very first consultation). I had to call repeatedly to find out what my second MRI showed and when my surgery was scheduled for! Shouldn’t they have called me? I go for pre-op tests this Monday, and still have not received an information packet I was told I would get to tell me where and when. When I call she tells me she is very busy and she will get it out to me. Is this normal behavior for such a large hospital? I’m praying they get their act together soon, because I’m not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. Could it be just nerves???

I’m glad I found this forum. It’s a good thing you do helping us newbies deal.
I don’t feel so alone.

By the way… I’m having the translab surgery (cut behind the ear). I hope I feel well enough to attend the meeting in April in Worcester.

Thank you all.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:42:44 am »
By the way… I’m having the translab surgery (cut behind the ear). I hope I feel well enough to attend the meeting in April in Worcester.

SML -

if you aren't up for that meeting, please consider the ANA Symposium in August in Chicago.  It's bound to be a great time and hopefully you'll meet a lot of forumites there.

I totally forgot that Katie had Dr. McKenna - sorry, Katie!  I'm old and can't remember everything anymore   ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »
Milli in Dr. Barker's office can be hard to pin down.  Many of us have had similar experiences and it definitely is frustrating.  I found the most effective way to deal is to make her (or whichever staffer you're talking to) complete the task you want from them while you're waiting on the phone. 

MGH is a world-class hospital.  Of course, that doesn't excuse poor job performance, but don't let yourself doubt the skill of the physicians because of it. 

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

SML

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:24 am »
Thank you for the reassurance. It’s helped tremendously.

I’m still learning my way around the forum, and it’s been fun reading all the posts.The knit hats look very nice!

I see there is a lot I can learn from all your experiences.

I’ll probably be chiming in from time to time.

SML

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:15:47 am »

The knit hats look very nice!

Thanks! :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:56:45 pm »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:06:54 pm »
SML,
My surgery with Barker and McKenna was supposed to be today, but I got bumped to April 8, so I'm jealous of your date.  That should make you feel better.
I have had the runaround from Milli since November.  I call her constantly with no results.  It is very frustrating.  She suggested I could be bumped again, and I am very worried that the rapid growth that occurred in the last year after seven years of MRIs is continuing.  So, consider yourself fortunate to get in there in a timely manner.
Good luck!  I hope you'll pass along your travelogue post-op for those who follow you.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

SML

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:55 pm »

Apparently Dr. Barker is a very busy man. Millie told me he also had another surgery that got bumped mid-February. My pre-op was to have been this coming Monday, but it just got postponed until March 9th. Surgery is still scheduled for March 18 as far as I know.
I will certainly let everyone know how things go. 

I hope they let your April 8th date stand, and wish you all the best as well.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:42 am »
SML, glad you are NOT going on Monday...another Nor'easter heading this way... rather have you safe.

I've been bumped by docs many times... and I try to understand the situation. I know its frustrating, esp. when you have made your decision and you are ready to "rock and roll" and move along/forward... hang in there....

Phyl

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:16:45 am »
SML,
I just called Millie and asked if we could schedule the pre-op testing for my April 8 surgery.  She gave me April 2 and said she's be mailing out the package.  Did you ever receive yours?
Best to you,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness