Author Topic: Blue Tooth Headset  (Read 2884 times)

lholl36233

Blue Tooth Headset
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:16:14 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone heard of a blue tooth headset causing their hearing loss?  I bought one referenced in this link in March 2007.  I first noticed my tinnitus in April 2008.  I didn't use the headset very often.  I don't think it caused my tumor but it made me wonder?

http://www.bluetoothheadsetlitigation.com/

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

wendysig

Re: Blue Tooth Headset
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:16 am »
Laura,

I have to say that the claim that Bluetooth usage can  cause hearing loss blew me away.  I purchased a Plantronics PLT 510 Bluetooth several years ago thinking it was a great invention and took care of hands free operation of a cell phone while driving.  I also thought using it was better than holding a cell phone next to my head.  If the claim that it causes hearing loss is true, that is a scary thing.  I sent my doc an e-mail regarding this to see what he thinks.  I'll let you know what he says.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:58:14 am »
I've been using bluetooth for my right ear for about 3 years.  While it's true that the AN was discovered in my right ear, it was very likely there long before I started using my bluetooth device. 

I think there is more concern for those of us who have already lost hearing in one ear due to an AN since we have likely, myself included, moved the bluetooth to our only good ear.  Unfortunately, the studies required to prove that these devices cause hearing loss would take years to accomplish, and by then for most of us it would be too late.

I see many people walking around malls and places of business that appear to be permenantly attached to their devices.  For me, the only time it's on my ear is when I'm in the car.  My cell phone is really only used very rarely.  We still use a normal house phone when we are home, although that too is wireless and transmits a signal to the base station. 

Lots of things to think about, but I don't think I will change my habits any based on the litigation or unsubstantiated claims.

My 2cents.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:42:30 am »
My wonderful doc answered my e-mail in record time.  However, his answer demonstrates that they too have to be careful of what they say for fear of being sued -- "No one has demonstated a link between cell phones/Bluetooth and hearing loss with any degree if certainty."  So, he is pretty much saying whether or not I use a cell phone and/or Bluetooth is my call -- he is completely neutral.  My cell phone usage is minimal anyway, but I might try to use it even less than I already do.  Being SSD is hard enough -- being completely deaf would be devastating and is not something I'm willing to risk.  We do have cordless phones in the house too, but we also have two corded phones, one of which I usually use.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

My left ear is the bad ear.  The right ear is clear as a bell.  I'm left handed so the phone and bluetooth were always on my left ear, never touched the right.  There is probably no link but it doesn't make me too anxious to start using a bluetooth on my crystal clear right ear...

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:27:36 pm »
If you read the 75 page document at the link, it turns out that the settlement consists of 3 things:

1. The companies have to put up a warning page on their web sites, saying that listening to any device, bluetooth or otherwise, at too high a volume for too long a time may risk hearing loss (common sense, in other words);

2. The companies will donate $100,000 to various universities and organizations that do research on hearing loss (nice gesture);

3. All the legal fees for filing and pursuing this fine piece of litigation will be paid in full (naturally).

This goes in the file next to the case that clarified, for all those in doubt about it, that "hot coffee" at a McDonald's is actually hot.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.