Author Topic: Upgraded Transear??  (Read 3405 times)

Cynaburst

Upgraded Transear??
« on: February 23, 2009, 05:24:15 pm »
I have had the Transear for almost 2 years, and am thinking of getting the new and improved version.  I am just wondering if anyone has upgraded, and if so, what are your impressions?

Jeanlea

Re: Upgraded Transear??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:14:45 pm »
Cynaburst,

I just got the upgraded version of the TransEar three days ago.  So far, I'm impressed.  When I block my good ear to tell how well it's working the voices are so much clearer than with the older version.  I'm going to do more testing to see how much better it is.  I have noticed that I am now able to hear several more sounds than I did before, such as the water running. 
I'll be interested to see if anyone else has gotten the new version and what they think.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:00 pm »
That is soooo exciting.
Okay what is the new Transear called? How would I know to ask for the new one?
Still waiting in Canada.
Michelle  :'(
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:19:52 pm »
Michelle,

It's called the 380 HF.  I would imagine that if you get a new one that is the one you would get.  I haven't had a chance to try mine out n the classroom yet.  That will be the real test.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »
This is great! I can't wait for your report, Jeanlea. I wonder how much better the new version really is vs. the old version.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Cynaburst

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27:22 pm »
Jean - Thanks for the report.  I will be interested in hearing your updates as you get used to it.  Do you mind telling me how much you paid for the upgrade?

Thanks a million.

Cynthia

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:15 am »
Thanks Jean, as you know I teach kindergarten and although many may think being deaf in one ear could be an advantage in this situation, it isn't. I know you teach a higher grade, how is the Transear in a loud environment? I am frustrated waiting for it. My ENT wants me to try the Cros but I am trying to hold out for the Transear. It doesn't make sense to me to pay for it...get used to it and then switch and do it all over again.
I am so sick of saying "Pardon me" and turning my neck so someone can talk in my good ear. Yes I know things could be worse, been there too
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:26:35 pm »
Michelle,

Today was an inservice day and I found that in a room of 25 or so adults I had no problem hearing most of them.  The only time I noticed  a problem was the woman on my bad side was quietly talking to me (you know the kind of talking that goes on while the speaker is speaking).  Any time she talked in a normal voice I had no problem hearing her.  It's still not like normal hearing (not that I can even remember what that was like anymore) but it sure beats not having anything at all and it is better than the older version.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Cynaburst

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:26:08 pm »
Jean - How much did you pay for your upgrade?

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:58 am »
Thanks Jean... I was recently at an inservice and the woman to my left was talking to me and of course I didn't hear her. I looked at her and said "Sorry I didn't hear you I have just recently lost my hearing" She still kept talking ...I didn't hear a thing..she probably thought I was ignoring her. Oh well.  :o

I am so excited to get the Transear in Canada. Soon I hope.
Take care.
Michelle  ;D

I think we need a smiley face with a hand to one ear saying "Pardon me"

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:55 pm »
Hi everyone, I got my new TransEar 380-HF with bi direction microphones it is nice I have been deaf in my right ear since I was 7 yrs old I am now 39.I tried a cros aid in 1998 an hated it I went to the audiologists 2 weeks ago and he told me about the trans ear and baha but recommened the transear which he heard about and it was new to him so I got it, I love it it would be like have a head set on and turning the volume up to 3 in your good ear. Of corse they tell me that my brain will learn to adapt to hearing again in my right ear so we will see if it gets louder but I am happy with it because I could not hear out of it any way so I am so happy I have some hearing out of it. The only problem that I am having out of it is so times I get alot of feed back towards the afternoon when I turn my head or talk. but the audioloigist is still fine tuning it.I did not have the old model so I can not compare sorry but this model is great get the bi directional mic they say I am the first to have it they did not even put it on the order form yet I just happen to talk to transear and they told me about it so I told them to put it in it was a $100.00 more the hole thing was 2500.00 but my insurance covered 1400 of it. hope this helps.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09