Author Topic: Price Negotiation  (Read 3767 times)

ssafarik

Price Negotiation
« on: February 20, 2009, 01:52:58 pm »
I'm planning to have surgery at House in March, but am stalled with getting the price nailed down.  Since St. Vincents is out of network I'm trying to negotiate the price before the surgery rather than after.  Insurance companies do this for themselves, and since there is no existing contract between St Vincents and my insurance, then St. Vincents and I are free to make our own agreement.  I think it is very reasonable to want a price that is similar to the amount they're paid by everyone else, rather than double or triple that (I've been quoted that it may be up to $300k).  So I guess my question is has anyone here done this, or have any experience in similar matters?  Thanks.

Steve.
2.3cm AN diagnosed Dec 2008.  Shopping for a surgical team.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Price Negotiation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:37:25 pm »
For what it's worth, my retrosigmoid surgery was about $75k but the insurance company was only billed about $25k.  Everything was paid at 100%, so to the insurance company, the surgery (plus ICU and 4 days in the hospital) was only about $25k. 

Good luck..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager