Author Topic: Newly diagnosed  (Read 5586 times)

Jeff

Re: Newly diagnosed
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 10:47:01 pm »
Hi all.

In looking at radiation studies the distance from the tumor to other structures has a effect. I posted the whole abstract from pub med in another thread.

"The maximum radiotherapy dose delivered to the cochlear nucleus was the single, significant prognostic factor of hearing deterioration"

This was in a GK study. The damage to nerves appears to be a little greater when the tumor is confined to the IAC as every thing is in close proximity to tumor center. Just my opinion from several studies I have read that were specifict to small tumors.

john

5mmx5mm

Hello,

I believe that the cochlear nucleus that is mentioned in your quote is referrring to an area of the brainstem rather than the cochlea organ. Here is a site with some pretty neat graphics if you are interested in anatomy of the brain.: http://www.neuroanatomy.wisc.edu/virtualbrain/BrainStem/12Cochlear.html

Best wishes,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

targa72e

Re: Newly diagnosed
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 03:40:47 pm »
Thanks Jeff,

I assumed they were talking about the center of the cochlea organ. I have read that the cochlea is very delicate. Because it is so delicate slight trauma or interruption of blood supply can result in hearing loss which is on of the reasons hearing preservation is difficult. I did not realize there was a portion of the brain with the same name.

thanks

john
5mm x 5mm watching and waiting