Author Topic: wierd discovery  (Read 12747 times)

cin605

wierd discovery
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:43:48 pm »
This one is right out strange.I bought a vibrating heating pad today,when i put my head on it my eyesights will move w/ the pattern of the vibration everything will be wavey & the room will move back n forth.Can anyone explain this to me??is it bad for me to keep my head on it??
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: wierd discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »
I could be way off, but if you have weakened neck muscles (which are used to keep your head still when in movement), then what you describe could happen.  I don't think there's any harm in using a vibrating heating pad on your head, but I would consult with your doctor to be sure as he knows more specifics about your case..

AN's..  the gift that keeps on giving.  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »
Cin:

Unfortunately, I can't explain it to you and I'm not certain whether or not this is bad for you but I can agree that it's definitely weird.  I concur with Brian ('Pooter') to call your doctor and ask, but don't be surprised if he doesn't have an explanation , either.  He may just instruct you use a heating pad without vibration, which would be my first instinct.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:44 pm »
Thanks Guys.My neck muscles are weak..i just didn't realise to what extent.I am doing exercise everyday but am not seeing to much
improvement.My head feels like a ton of brick that i have to keep steady everytime i get into an up right position.
43yrs old

Parkcomm

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:28:48 am »
Don't panic just yet - it could be normal; it is vibrating your head including your eyes!

Get someone else to try the pad.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:11:41 am by Parkcomm »
Diagnosed with .7cm vestibular schwannoma December 2008.

cin605

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:39:40 am »
Yup...did that.nothing wierd w/ them.
Doc. says do not use it.i went & exchanged it for one that you put in the microwave.Also got a new icy hot stick..no more grease head!
43yrs old

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 02:34:54 pm »
cin605,
  This may be related to the "balance issues" that you mention in your profile.  My guess is that it's related to Nystagmus.  The vestibular system performs anti-vibration compensation for your vision.  It's not uncommon for AN patients who have lost one vestibular nerve to have some affects on visual tracking with sudden movement.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:46:30 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

cin605

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:41:11 pm »
i think you are correct also Rob.
I have noticed my vision is way off as far as tracking movement.combine that w. my weak neck muscles I'm doomed!
I will be interested to see what my vestub.rehab expert thinks.I seeeeee her next Tuesday, ;D
Cin
43yrs old

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:31:25 pm »
My "tracking" was off after surgery.. I remember distinctly trying to focus on the moving objects while riding in the car and having a VERY hard time.  Over the last 9 months is gotten MUCH better in that regard.  So, just because it's "doomed" now doesn't mean it will always be that way.  Patience, patience, patience..  It can't be stressed enough.

Heating pads, ice, exercises for the neck and vestibular system, and most of all time..  All of that should help.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:21:17 pm »
 Cin605:

Here's an article that Sue in VancouverUSA, found. It explains in greater detail what Rob is saying. It's very interesting. Check it out.

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cin605

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 02:55:51 pm »
Wow!thank you Sue.I saved that article & will bring it w/ me to my next Primary care visit.I think my doc just doesn't get it.He says the other day" no offense but this is how you are walking...its like your neck is stiff all the time.." i just looked at him like "NO KIDDING!!!!!!" ???Do you think i would walk like that if i had a choice not to?????????????????
That article explained to me what he obviously could not.
Thanks Again.Cin
43yrs old

wcrimi

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:12:17 pm »
I practice a visual exercise where I stare at a 6" letter "B" on a wall about 5 feet away and move my head side to side. The goal is to  try tp keep my eyes fixed on the letter as my head moves . When I move my head left to right, I have no trouble at all. When I move my head left to right there is a split second delay between the time my head moves and when my eyes adjust. I start out slow (which I can handle) and try to speed it up (which always screws me up). I think this might be a good exercise for everyone to do to address this issue. You can also do it up and down.  It only takes a couple of minutes per day. Dr. Smouha alerted me to this issue when I was describing my dizziness and wonky headedness. He said it would probably go away in a few weeks. Well it has been 2 months since then and I don't think it has improved much, but I'm still hopeful and will bring it up when I see him next week. I'll report what he had to say.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:15:47 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »
Part of my 4 hours of testing at the Tampa Bay Hearing and Balance Center involved following moving lights left to right, right to left, then up/down, down/up.  Of course, I'm not yet a postie, so while it gave me little trouble, we'll see how it goes post-surgery :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cin605

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 07:06:25 pm »
O.K??....i just tried this & when i go right to left no prob....left to right the object actualy looks like its sliding on the wall.
Thanks Cindy=I will add this to dailey routine of torture tactics! ;D
I have recently started taking promethazine my nausea is at its peek.
43yrs old

ernie h

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:08:15 pm »
i also believe what you're feeling is what they call nystagmus.if i drive over rough roads it shakes my head and causes problems.it affects your vision.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.