Author Topic: BAHA Consultation Monday  (Read 2507 times)

bern

BAHA Consultation Monday
« on: February 12, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
Well friends,

After going through a very important day with top administration, I realized I must do something about my hearing since I heard nothing they said.

But, I viewed the BAHA surgery online and I do not want that now.  When I go for this appointment will the audiologist provide me with a hearing aid to try out or is this gonna take more time. I am desparate to hear.  Any advice?  ESP. BEST TYPE OF HEARING AIDS. I am trying them first.

Boy, I never realized how depressed you can become when you can't hear.

kmancini

Re: BAHA Consultation Monday
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »
I now have the BAHA and I love it.  When I went to the audioligist she tested me without the baha then with it. Boy what a difference.  I understood almost everything she threw at me.  She gave me a test baha to take home for a week to try in different situations.  It helped in almost every one.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:06:38 pm »
If you're not looking to have a surgery, then perhaps a TransEar might provide another alternative for you.. It uses the same concept that BAHA offers but is in the ear (much like a traditional hearing aid) and uses the boney part of the inner ear to conduct the sound to the other side.  I'm looking into that as well..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

grega

New User Considering BAHA
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 12:30:52 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks to all for your helpful comments throughout these forums on BAHA. After my Nov 04 AN translab, and after 3 yrs of wireless bi-cros aids, and after fitting and trying Transear (not powerful enuf), I'll be consulting re BAHA in a few weeks. So I'd appreciate any tips on prepping for the consultation (e.g.questions to ask, etc).

Thanks .... and stay well!  Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:48:26 pm »
Bern,

I've always found it's better to view the actual operation AFTER you've had it done!  Sometimes, ignorance truly is bliss!  Or at least less nervous.

I know it sounds like an awful thing to have done, but ask anyone who's been there and I think the majority of them would do it again in a heartbeat.  I had no pain or problems afterwards - it was really no big deal.

But, like Brian mentioned, there are other non-surgical options available and I'm sure your audiologist will be able to tell you what will work best for you.

And from recollection of my corporate days, I've always found that NOT hearing the top admin. was sometimes an advantage!  Sure cut down on the headaches!   :D

Good luck on your quest for hearing!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.