Author Topic: A Patient's Positive perspective of Dr. Fukushima (By Lisa A)  (Read 22270 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: A Patient's Positive perspective of Dr. Fukushima (By Lisa A)
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:55 pm »
Kaybo -

I missed the surgical approach too, but knowing it was mid fossa explains a lot.  Mid fossa approach is generally THE way to save hearing during AN surgery.  Unfortunately, mid fossa isn't an option for lots of us - I know it wasn't for me. 

Tisha -

lots of docs invent surgical instruments.  I believe that Dr. Richard Wiet (member of the ANA Medical Advisory Board and host of the ANA Symposium for 2009) has invented instruments used in AN surgeries also.

Lisa -

I'm still with Brian, no one can definitively say that the skill of the surgeon is "everything".  Doctors, though highly trained, are human just like the rest of us.  They cannot guarantee anything 100% - and any doctor worth his salt will tell you just that.  Thankfully, my neurotologist did; because I have a real need to deal with reality, not fantasy.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keeping Up

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 09:38:12 pm »
Before I go to bed (and stop delaying by googling stuff!) - I had to use the search function to find mid-fossa (or middle fossa - which one is it?) in Lisa's original (and second post). 

It was truly possible I just assumed it was - I couldn't find it on when I went back to check either.

However, I too am blonde, or at least chemically blonde!
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:37 pm »
Cathy had middle fossa, it's in her sig line.  But, LisaA never said what approach was used.  Or, am I as blonde and tired as Kay?  ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 09:51:15 pm »
I'm glad that I am not just losing it...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:29 pm »
Well... that's for another thread all together, Kay.. ;)

Btw, good breakdown, KeepingUp.  I find stuff like that fascinating to read.  After going to one of your links, I went on my own clicking binge at the site... I found stuff on BAHA, Middle Fossa, etc..  Pretty cool stuff!  Thanks!

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 10:01:53 pm »
I'm not blonde - leaning more towards gray each day  ;) - but I AM tired!

Keeping -

mid-fossa and middle fossa are both the same; the former is just an abbreviation of the latter.  Kind of like retrosig is short for retrosigmoid and translab is short for translabyrinthine.

Here's info on mid-fossa "borrowed" from my neurotologist's website (www.chicagoear.com):

Middle Fossa Approach
In the middle fossa approach, the bone is opened above the ear and the bone overlying the tumor is removed. The inner ear is not entered. Therefore, hearing preservation is possible. The middle fossa approach is most suitable for small tumors with good hearing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 10:16:47 pm »
Point well taken.  You have hearing preservations yet you have hearing loss.  Interesting conundrum..  Would you be counted as "preservation" or a "loss" person.. 

LOL. I don't know. Is the glass half full or half empty??  ;)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

lori67

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:07 pm »
Well, I'm adding my 2 cents late, for what it's worth.. (probably about 2 cents).

I did not use the same doctor as Lisa A.  However, my surgeon is highly regarded, exceptionally skilled, extremely gifted and is just an all around good guy as well.  He has also patented some of his own tools of the trade used during AN surgeries, specifically real-time nerve monitoring, which I was happily a guinea pig for during the testing stages.   ;D  He has also published much of his research.  He has also never had a patient expire or have a seizure and has a very low incidence of CSF leaks.

I do have facial nerve issues, but God himself could have done my surgery and it would not have mattered, as my AN was totally adherent to the facial nerve and it was so damaged prior to my surgery that there was not much hope of it ever working.  I had facial nerve symptoms prior to my diagnosis, which is was sent me to the doctor in the first place.

As everyone else has said, of course I'm glad that some people come through this experience pretty much none the worse for the wear and I'm always thrilled to hear of a perfect outcome.  The way I see it, the fact that any of us are here to discuss this is a pretty darn good outcome.  The fact that I'm alive and well is reason enough for me to sing the praises of my surgeons and I'm pretty much convinced they walk on water.  I have a feeling a good percentage of us feel that way about our surgeons.  My doctors were right for me and other people had doctors that were right for them.  That doesn't make someone else's doctor wrong because it wasn't the same one I chose.

I don't think any surgeon goes into an AN surgery recklessly - they want a good outcome just as much as we do, but some things are just not guaranteed - like hearing preservation or facial nerve weakness.  Sometimes the tumor is in control and the best doctor in the world can't change that.

I think the most important thing is that each patient find the doctor that is the right fit for him/her.

Lori

p.s. Kaybo - you ARE losing it.   ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 11:07:49 pm »
I lost something...what'd I lose?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 07:22:08 am »
I believe that many of us can agree, based on LisaA's outcome and based on the work that Dr. Fukushima has done, that should anyone inquire if we know anyone in the Carolinas that seek the info, we can point to this thread.  How one interprets his work/research is up to them and if they decide to follow up on it, we are all supportive of that decision.  I would like to thank LisaA for sharing this with everyone here.... and for everyone's inputs about this subject.  I know I will reference folks to this thread, if asked, as I believe it will help those doing extensive research to determine the best approach they should have for their particular situation, regardless if they choose Dr. Fukushima or decide on elsewhere.

LisaA, I would also like to move this to the "Physician" forum where it is more appropriate... ok with you? :)

BTW, my chemical blonde needs a touch up.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LisaA

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 01:22:00 pm »
The surgery I had was not a middle fossa, but rather a retrolab transtemporal approach.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:43:28 pm by Jim Scott »
Diagnosed 7/31/08
10mm x 5mm on Right Side
Surgery w/ Dr. Fukushima 9/26
No Surgery-related Hearing Loss
No Facial Paralysis
No Balance Issues (after about the 2nd - 3rd week post op)

Catflower

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 02:14:15 pm »
I'm running a little behind on reading posts as I have not been well for the past few weeks.  Like Lori, I would also like to add my 2 cents worth.  Dr. Fukushima also did my surgery and my outcome was not nearly as bright (though I place absolutely no blame on the doctor).  He was absolutely sure he could preserve my hearing and thus did an occipital approach.  No such luck for me though.  It didn't work out that way.  In addition, I ended up back in the hospital a few days after I came home due to to brain swelling.  A month after my surgery I developed a very serious infection in my incision and had to be hospitalized again, more surgery and six weeks of IV antibiotics at home.  My balance is impaired and I have the "wonky head" anytime I'm in an environment with a lot of sensory stimulation. 

I agree with everyone here, the outcome is based on the tumor, the individual, and to some degree on the surgeon. 

Linda in WV

Cindyswart

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »
HILisa!! you are a godsend!! Dr Fukushima is also doing my surgery! and I loved reading this post. Thanks so much for the detail and thought you used, those were the exact things that I was thinking!! Looks like zI will go in around October, but I emailed through his website and wouldn't ya know, Lori emailed me back! I was floored!! I may actually sleep tonight!!! Thanks again!!

Cindy
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!