Author Topic: Neal (NTeeman) Surgery Update  (Read 16790 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Neal (NTeeman) Surgery Update
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 06:36:52 pm »
Neal, just remember to take it easy, listen to your body and rest as needed. Pls do not try to overpush yourself, ok? I know I'm noting what you already know... just reminders.  Onward and upward to a VERY speedy recovery! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 06:59:49 am »
Hi Neal,

You sound wonderful and I'm so glad to hear you had such a wonderful outcome.  The balance problems will most likely get better with time -- when you are up to it doing some of the vestibular exercises that have been posted here or recommended by your doctors will help a lot.  In the meantime, rest and recover and listen to your body -- it knows what you need.  Since you're not able to eat a lot you should probably add a multivitamin to your routine -- just a thought.

Sending wishies for a speedy and uneventful recovery,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 08:08:07 am »
Yes, I have added back my multi-vitamin and look forward to the day I can taste food again. For now only soup or scrambled eggs taste normal. I grabbed a few Doritos during the Superbowl last night and they tasted like sand! I could not eat them.  I could almost taste the banana I ate this morning. That is some improvement. Still, my tongue is sore and recovering.  All else is good. No pain, some wonky head but overall I feel great. I am yet to need a pain pill since I am home and that is good.

I must thank you all again as the posts here have been a tremendous boost for my well being. As my daughter would say, 'the ANA Forum Rocks!'

Cheers

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:49 am »
Doritos are overrated anyway.  I hope your sense of taste returns quickly at any rate.  So glad you are doing well.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Catflower

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 11:19:59 am »
Great to hear you are doing so well.  The only thing that tasted right to me for a while was strawberry ice cream and orange juice.  From there I progressed to KFC mashed potatoes and gravy.  No explaining that.

Linda in WV

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 03:26:03 pm »
Glad you are home.. Most issues with taste should resolve fairly quickly.  As with most everything with AN's, not fast enough usually to our liking.  Patience.  Glad you're back.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Neal (NTeeman) 1 Week Surgery Update
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »
OK it has been one week since my 8.5 hour surgical removal of my AN on my left side.

1-No pain! A little dizzy at times, lethargic and food doesn't taste right yet.  Healing nicely.

2-SSD in left ear. At least for now. We will wait and listen but I don't have great expectations for much hearing returning.

3- Absolutely no facial muscle problems. I can smile wink, blink, whistle, and I am no longer having any facial spasms like I had prior to surgery. 

4- Stitches scheduled to be removed on Monday, February 9, if all continues well.

5-Another audiology exam on the week of Feb, 16 to see hear what's what.

All in all I am happy with the progress so far.

Friends and family have been wonderful.

It is good to be home.

Cheers
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

Mickey

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:58 pm »
Hi Neal! Very happy to hear your doing well. Looking foward to see you at next nj/ny get together. Mickey

wendysig

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:19 am »
Hi Neal,

It sounds like you on the fast track to recovery!  I am so very happy for you that you are having such a great post-op experience.  Of course, being SSD is not fun, but should you decide you can't deal with it, BAHA and TransEar are both great alternatives if your hearing doesn't return.

Best wishes for continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 01:50:59 pm »
Hey Neal - by the time you read this, you should be stitch-free!  Have been reading your posts, and really glad that you are doing so well.  Don't want to speak TOO soon, but it sounds like it may be another AN success story.  Your wife, btw, was just wonderful about sending me emails, so give her a great big hug from all of us.  Heck, give yourself one, too!

If you are feeling particularly brave, post a picture of your stitch-free head, okay?  We all seem to really enjoy seeing other people's incisions (okay, we are definitely a strange bunch.)

Look forward to seeing you at our next lunch.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 02:32:46 pm »
Yep, I am stitch free.  My neurosurgeon said he is extremely satisfied with my results and recovery.  He says the hearing nerve was preserved but only time will tell if I will ever hear in that ear again. The pathology confirmed that it was an Acoustic Neuroma (b9) and I asked the surgeon if he thinks he got it all, as best as he could tell. He replied,'NO, I am certain I got it all!'  I'll take that.

Next week I will see the Otolaryngologyst (ENT) for his exam and another audiology exam as well and hear what he says about my chances of hearing again in my AN ear.

So far, while a tough two weeks, my wife and I are very happy with our decision for treatment, personnel and of course, venue.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 11:43:14 am »
Hey Gang,

I drove today and no problem!  ;D

Still a little tipsy when I walk but no problem driving!

Another step on the road back to 'normal'.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 12:21:39 pm »
Neal:

Great to hear about your progress. You are having a remarkable recovery. I am very happy for you. I know you will continue to get stronger. It looks like you will be at 100% in the very near future.

Thanks for sharing,
Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

wcrimi

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 01:37:09 pm »
Neal,

If you see Dr. Smouha, please tell him Wayne Crimi said hello.

Also, when I had my first hearing test post op (at about 5 weeks) I would estimate my hearing was at about 50%.  Dr. Smouha didn't give me an exact percentage, but when I threw out that number, he sort of nodded.  He will probably also do a test on your hearing via the bone. That test showed better hearing (he said the nerve was probably in good shape). Since that time, I've had recurring bouts of a congested feeling in the bad ear, my ear feeling like it was draining, high pitched and hissing tinnitus, and hearing overload that sounds like squeaking when in crowded bars and restuarants. Those symptoms are slowly diminshing and my hearing is improving. At times it almost seems normal except that voices over the phone can sometimes sound mechnical instead of human. So if they feel your hearing nerve was preserved, I think there is some hope for improvement. I was able to hear a bit post surgery, but I definitely improved over the weeks.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:45:03 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 01:46:44 pm »
Neal,

If you see Dr. Smouha, please tell him Wayne Crimi said hello.

Also, when I had my first hearing test post op (at about 5 weeks) I would estimate my hearing was at about 50%.  Sr. Smouha didn't give me an exact percentage, but when I threw out that number, he sort of nodded.  He will probably also do a test on your hearing via the bone. That test showed better hearing (he said the nerve was probably in good shape). Since that time, I've had recurring bouts of a congested feeling in the bad ear, my ear feeling like it was draining, high pitched and hissing tinnitus, and hearing overload that sounds like squeaking when in crowded bars and restuarants. Those symptoms are slowly diminshing and my hearing is improving. At times it almost seems normal except that voices over the phone can sometimes sound mechnical instead of human. So if they feel your hearing nerve was preserved, I think there is some hope for improvement. I was able to hear a bit post surgery, but I definitely improved over the weeks.

Wayne,

This is great information. Right now all I hear in my AN ear is ringing. Now and then some garbled sounds. I have hope though.  Thanks for the input and I will send your hello.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha