Author Topic: Neal (NTeeman) Surgery Update  (Read 16788 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Neal (NTeeman) Surgery Update
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »
Hi all, I am home.  I will post more details later but everything went as well as possible. Surgery from 9:30am to 5:50pm on tuesday. a long day.  I'm gonig to catch up on some sleep now so I'll check in tomorrow and list some more details.

Boy it's good to be home.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:51 pm »
Hi, Neal:

Welcome back!  You are now an official 'postie!'  :)

We pretty much know how you feel (tired) so get all the rest you need.  We'll be here when you have the energy to post again.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:03:54 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »
Yay!  Welcome home! I slept a LOT post-surgery, so you're entitled to as much of it as you need.  We'll be here when you're ready.. For now, get some rest and welcome home!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 01:11:19 pm »
Congrats postie-Neal! :) Pls get some rest and check in when you feel up to it. I bet it feels great to be back in your own home and bed....

welcome back!  and congrats!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NL

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
Neal,

Congratulations and welcome back! Glad to hear you're resting in the comfort of your own home.

Heal well and enjoy the naps.  :)

Nancy L

And Debbi - thanks for all the updates!
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »
Neal,
Congratulations and I'm glad you're home!  Rest well, take it easy on yourself.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wcrimi

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 07:05:12 pm »
Congratulations!   ;D
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

jtd71465

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »
Hi Neal,

Get rest and I look forward to speaking with you during your recovery.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 08:51:22 pm »
Surgery from 9:30am to 5:50pm on tuesday. a long day.

I believe I was at work for that same time period. It was a long day.  :D

Glad you are back and planning to catch up on some sleep. Sleep for a week!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 09:48:21 pm »
I also had 2 spinal taps while I was in the hospital.  The surgeons said it reduces the risk of leakage. 

Wow!  I have never heard of this.

I had no spinal taps and didn't have a leak. 

Glad to hear that Neal will be sleeping in his own bed soon.

Nothing like that feeling, after a hospital stay!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 10:06:03 pm »
It seems extreme to me, but it makes sense..  Think of spinal fluid build-up as water in a hose..  If one pokes a hole and releases some water, then you're less likely to get a leak somewhere else..  Extreme, but maybe warranted in some cases..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:46 am »
Hi Neal!

Glad to hear you are home and resting comfortably.  I hope you and Kim are relaxing a bit more and hope you are getting the pampering you need at this point.  Get lots of rest and take things one day at a time.  Baby steps and patience (lots and lots of it) are key to recovery.

Best wishes for a quick and uneventful recovery,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 09:35:41 am »
Ok I wrote a long post and somehow lost the whole thing so I will try again!

Thank you all for your support this week. My wife found it very helpful to read the posts here as she sent Debbie the updates.  Debbie than you so much.

Surgery--9:30am to 5:50pm and it was an AN not a Meningioma. They say they got it all.  The night of the surgery the 'team' of docs examined me and one didn't like the way I was raising my right arm. I complained that it was only because of the shunts and tubes that was making it difficult.Another doc on the team agreed with me but they decided to send me for a CT scan anyway and the results were good. Once some of the tubes were removed my arm movement was fiine.

Spinal taps--my neurosurgeon likes to drain a little fluid to prevent CFS leaks. He informed me there would be 3 taps before going home.  First attempt by the intern team was not successful. they tried 3 times then I told them, '3 strikes and you are out!'  ABout an hour later a senior member from the surgeon's team, Dr. George, came and infromed me he would make one attempt and I wont feel a thing. If he can't get it that would be that. One strike.  He kept his word. All I felt was the injection to numb the area.  The next day Dr.Jake, came and was just as good. First time they took 3 viles, next day 4 viles of fluid. The second tap left me with a slight headache and nausea.  It didn't last long. That night my surgeon came in and said I was doing so well that I could go home the next day and no more taps.

Headaches--I've been pretty lucky, no real pain problems, some pain around the incision and that is pretty mild.

Wobbly--I was up and walking around as soon as they gave me a walking IV stand. They were impressed. My balance was affected before surgery so I was probably making adjustments already. While I am not as good as pre-surgery I can get around well and can do stairs without problem.

Post anesthesia-- The tubes swelled up my tongue and I have blisters on my tongue as well. This makes it hard for me to eat anything dry-cereal, crackers etc.  so far coffee is my best friend.
Head.

Meds--I am currently being wined off Dexamethasone, taking pepcid and have a supply of Tylonol #3 (w/codine) which I haven't taken yet at all!

Immediate results--I have absolutely no facial paralysis. I can smile, wink, blink, open and close my eyes etc.  Everytime the docs came in it was show me your teeth, then follow this finger. and they would move therer finger from right to left.  It got to the point when they came in I did it myself without them asking. I just smiled and watched my own finger. They all got a kick out of that.  My hearing in my eft ear seems to be gone. They said during the surgery that the nerve was showing some activity but it was weak.  Time will tell. I will have another audiology test in the middle of February. We will see then but for now my overall hearing seems the same as pre-surgery since I already had loss in that ear.

Enogh typing for now.  Thanks again to everyone--especially Debbie for the update posts.  This forum has been so helpful I can't even express it well. All I can sy is that I am crying now and I don't cry.

Thaks so much!!!
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 09:46:31 am »
Neal,

Sounds as though you're doing great! Take care and get lots of rest and we'll look forward to seeing you at the next NY/NJ event.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

jerseygirl

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 09:56:57 am »
Neal,

So glad everything turned out great! I also had 3 spinal taps after my first surgery and, boy, did they hurt in student's hands! So I am with you on that. Rest now and take it easy.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.