Author Topic: ear tingling  (Read 3789 times)

wendygreene

ear tingling
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:51:12 pm »
hello everyone i has a acoustic neuroma removed in 1993 now it is back they are just watching it for now it is not growing yet... my question for all of you is i have a symptom i have never had before can you help?  my ear will start to tingle and then feels like its going numb this only lasts for a few seconds at a time but does it all throughout the day. does anybody know what this is.. thanks so much for your help

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: ear tingling
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:01:18 pm »
Hi,
Just a thought--could be trigeminal issues?  Maybe the tumor is pressing on the trigeminal nerve?? 
Good luck,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendygreene

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:21:37 pm »
my thoughts exactly, which means it could be growing. thanks so much

joebloggs

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:14:39 pm »
I agree with Marci - my right ear and face went numb overnight back in May.  The right side of my body also went numb.  There is a cyst within my AN and the doctors think the cyst grew really fast all of a sudden and stretched the trigeminal nerve (causing the face/ear numbness) and bounced into the brainstem causing the body numbness.  The body numbness only lasted about a week, but I still have a numb face.

Might be your AN is just starting to stuff the nerves about.  Good luck!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »
Hi Wendy and welcome -

This happened to me prior to my surgery although the sensation lasted more than a few seconds, but it was intermittent.  Your tingling and numbness  is probably being caused by a facial nerve flare-up.    The trigeminal nerve does not innervate the ear.  Is it just your ear that goes numb?

Wendy(sig)
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!