Author Topic: Service Dog  (Read 4601 times)

MikeC

Service Dog
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:23:48 pm »
Has anyone used a Service Dog to help with their balance and one sided sight and hearing loss ?

tenai98

Re: Service Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:38:01 am »
It was something I was thinking of. A service dog .  I will only go that route if I'm ever living on my own without a partner as I can not hear the smoke alarm go off( I'm still freaking out about that one). Although I hear that there are devices for hard of hearing....disco light smoke alarms...alarm clocks that vibrate bed to wake one up....
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:22:23 am »
I have never heard of using a service dog for SSD and/or balance problems - but I guess it's possible.

IMO a service dog would be much more useful for one-sided sight than the other issues.

Lots of us live with SSD and balance problems every day; alone or with others.  A service dog might be helpful, but not having one isn't a problem.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:48:57 am »
There are service dogs trained to assist the deaf, alerting for doorbells, smoke alarms, telephone. I'm not sure how they would train a dog to assist with balance issues, unless to keep you walking in a straight line or find help after a fall, as they do for the blind.

It takes a special dog to become a service animal, and intensive training. I'm pretty sure there is already a long waiting list for service dogs and that would be the biggest obstacle in getting one. I would think that completely blind and deaf recipients would take precedence over one-sided blindness or deafness.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:59:27 am »
I didn't think about it before but I already have a service dog. He's just the family pet but over the months I have become quite dependent on him for helping me know when someone is at the door, the phone is ringing, or someone is calling me from somewhere in the house (I still can't get them to say where they are) but I can tell from watching him look or bark where the sound is coming from. He's become very protective of me since my surgery. He also is my walking companion, especially at night. The feeling of him on the leash keeps me grounded and upright.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:52:16 pm »
Mike ~

Although I don't happen to believe a service dog is necessary for helping an AN patient with balance, hearing and/or sight deficits, that is an individual decision only the patient can make.  Most AN patients learn to adjust to their balance deficiencies, SSD (sometimes with a BAHA) and the usually temporary loss of useful sight in one eye.  However, there is no 'rule' and if you feel a service dog would help you, then, by all means, try to get one.

I like epodjn's observation that a pet dog can actually serve almost the same purposes as a dedicated service dog, especially when using the dog's acute hearing ability to help the AN patient (and pet owner) know that someone is knocking at the door, the phone is ringing or someone is speaking to them from another room.  Employing a pet dog as a walking companion is also useful.  Of course, if one doesn't already own a dog, this doesn't apply.  Still, acquiring a pet dog that responds well to sound (as most do) might be more practical than trying to purchase (and train) a service dog. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:26:00 am »

I would go out in the yard at night and play with my dog to help with balance....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 08:22:15 am »
Mike,
A lady near me raises standard poodles to be service dogs for folks who have seizures and balance problems.  I have been looking into her training and her quite beautiful dogs and they are indeed remarkable.I will see if I can find her website again and send it on to you.  I am all for service dogs!
Brenda

PS  I might add that I am a great lover of animals and service dogs do wonderful things for so many!
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT