Author Topic: Back home after CK at Stanford  (Read 1923 times)

Tisha

Back home after CK at Stanford
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:45:16 am »
Well, I'm back from Palo Alto, having had my CK treatments last week.  Honestly, it really was a piece of cake.  I was most nervous about this awful, hacking cough I had.  I went to my doc before I left and she gave me prescription medicine with codeine, which did the trick completely.  Made me really relaxed, too.

Drs. Chang and Soltys were extremely professional and nice.  I didn't feel hurried at all.  Actually, there wasn't much that I asked, because I felt fairly well informed about everything going in.  The technical stuff I wouldn't have understood anyway.  Since I'm so concerned about hearing preservation, he did tell me that some patients are on steroids for a year.  I don't want that, but he said he would put me on some if I wanted.  It's best not to wait too long if the hearing is affected, or it might not go back up.  Since mine does feel full and affected right now, I think I'll call in for some tomorrow.   The CT Scan and Mask only took about 15 minutes, so easy.

I was very nervous the morning of treatment, like I said mostly because of the cough and not wanting to move.  The mask was snug, but I didn't feel that it was too tight at all.  I actually kept falling asleep and the 30 minutes was over before I knew it.  The next two days were a piece of cake.   So, since I didn't have to spend that much time at the clinic, we did a lot of sight-seeing.  My cousin lives there so they took us around a few days.  We went by ourselves to Monterey, Muir Woods, Sausalito, downtown Palo Alto, toured the STanford Campus, Fisherman's Wharf, rode a cable car, took in a movie even.  It was sort of a vacation, too.  California is just beautiful.  I met NE Farmwife and her husband (waving at you both!).  Such a nice couple, it was fun to meet up with them.  I'll PM you later, NE!

I do have fullness in my ear and I'm not hearing as well, but I think it's just because I had the radiation.  I felt a queasy this morning, but it left quickly.  He did tell me that 80% of CK patients DO NOT have any symptoms.   There is also a new study coming out soon.  Anyway, thank you to everyone for all the information and support leading up to this decision.  I'm thankful to have a job where insurance pays for the majority of it.  Take care. Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Back home after CK at Stanford
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:13:56 am »
Congratulations Tisha--I hope you recover with a minimum of side effects and that the tumor dies an ugly death. 
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:43:44 am »
Hi Tisha,

Another good CK at Stanford experience, I see. Congratulations on getting it done. It sounds like you made the most of your trip to California as well.

It may be a little bumpy in the next few months, but you will manage, and you have a doctor to contact if the need for steroids arises.

Best wishes for a smooth first year as a Postie.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:20:38 pm »
tisha, you "toastie-postie" :) Congratulations to you!  I know you researched the heck out of your options before hand and you went into this fully armed with info.... you done great! :) As Steve (and the rest of us....) have noted, the 6-12 mos can have possible bumps, so hang tough... and you know we are going to get you through this....

congratulations! You did it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:36:33 am »
Congratulations, Tisha, on achieving postie-hood!!!!!  :)

I fall into Dr. Chang's 20% category that did have side effects after CK. If you have a setback, I can assure you that it's just a waiting game before you'll feel much better.

You are on the road to recovery!!!!!!  :)

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08