Author Topic: Tinnitis...does it go away??  (Read 12375 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Tinnitis...does it go away??
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:37 pm »
I was wondering... does tinnitis go away after treatment?  Is there anything that can be done about it without treatment?  Mine is getting louder and more annoying, high pitched and constant.  My research says that it is the hearing nerve dying and it may be permanent, I hope I don't have this forever.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

cindyj

Re: Tinnitis...does it go away??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:23:24 pm »
So sorry, but no it doesn't go away...well in the vast majority of cases it doesn't.  There is someone here on the forum that had it go away after treatment, just can't remember who right now.  But, she is by far the exception.  There are some websites that give ideas/thoughts/theories on how you can reduce the severity of the noise, and I think some folks here have had some success with certain of these methods.  But, I think most people just have variations in the level of the tinnitus from day to day and/or hour to hour.  Yes, it is quite annoying - for the most part I can "tune" it out and not think about it too much.

I'm sure others will come along with better comments for you.  Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:48 pm »
You can try different treatments. Neuromonics is one,  expensive but did subdue mine. Iv`e had mine for 30 years. After a certain period of time you do get used to it. It becomes more manageable. If you stay in good health in general, eventually most of the time you learn to tune it out. Good Luck, Mickey

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:26:57 pm »
I have heard no - that what you have is what you will keep (give or take a few cases outside the bell curve).  Similar to hearing loss - you don't get back what you have lost.

I too am in the watch and wait and have been told to expect it to worsen as I wait!  I think my tinnitus has either gotten significantly worse since I was told of my mild hearing loss or I just notice it all the time.  Thankfully, it is currently quite pleasant.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »
Rivergirl:

Since I got my hearing aid, less than one month ago, my tinnitus is milder and more consistent. I don't notice it as much. I expected that the amplification of sounds in my AN ear would worsen my tinnitus.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »
Rivergirl, this is one of the many annoying things that make living with an Acoustic Neuroma frustrating and tiring.  It is sometimes all the little things that add up to one great big annoyance.  And sometimes the little things get louder and you just want some peace and quiet for a change.  At least I sure do!!  When your brain latches on to the tinnitus it rarely lets go of it.  You may have to experiment a little and see if some choices you can make make any difference in the level of head noise.  Sometimes laying off of caffeine, salt, or aspirin may help.  Some people notice a difference, some don't.  Obviously trying to avoid noisy situations which aggravates tinnitus can help.  Sometimes being in too quiet of a room only  makes it more noticeable.  Sometimes a little white noise in the background can "even" out the sound a bit.  I sleep with a fan on in my bedroom. Otherwise, I lay there and listen to my head noise and focus on it and have a hard time going to sleep. 

Not the kind of news you want to hear, no pun intended, but the truth can hurt sometimes. It takes time, but eventually you do learn to live with it and by doing that, it can recede into the background.  I find that when I'm busy or concentrating on something, I can forget that I have that noise buzzing in my ear. 

Hang in there, kiddo.  Eventually, it probably will not be as big of an issue.  It just takes a little time. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:18:02 pm »
Rivergirl:

I'm sorry to have to add my voice to the dirge but in all honesty, your tinnitus very likely won't disappear, even after treatment.  Although it can be lessened (or exacerbated), I've found that after awhile I've 'absorbed' it and it really doesn't bother me, much, anymore.  Better to face harsh reality (and possibly be pleasantly surprised)  than expect something that probably won't happen.   :(

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:31 am »
i am guessing the treatment is ck or gk - anyway, i had translab surgery and technically i am stone deaf in my AN ear as i no longer have the hearing nerve................yet somehow i still hear that darn tinnitis  ??? dr brackmann could not explain it so i guess i will have to accept this as one of life's greatest mysteries.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:54:36 am »
I had two types of tinnitus before CK treatment: high-pitched ringing and pulsatile tinnitus (the latter in the form of hearing a whooshing sound synchronous with that of my pulse). Oddly (and unexpectedly), the pulsatile tinnitus disappeared immediately after CK treatment and the high-pitched ringing decreased dramatically. This is an unusual outcome of CK treatment.

Around Thanksgiving last November, the high-pitched ringing increased in volume somewhat but still remained lower in volume than what it was before treatment. I now seem to be able to keep the tinnitus at a very low volume most days by eating a balanced diet (including lots of seafood rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon), getting plenty of sleep, and taking large doses of vitamin E, manganese, calcium/magnesium, and a vitamin-B complex supplement daily.

I hope this helps you, too, Rivergirl.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Esperanza

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 05:11:13 am »
Hi Rivergirl,
My tinnitus has spiked up since an audiogram before xmas and I have it in my good ear almost all the time too following this which is frustrating.
I do my best to get on with things and ignore it really but sometimes it drives me nuts and has woken me up at night on
a number of occasions lately.
I think it seems to be easier to cope when its a constant sound (which it was before, just white noise with the occasional hiss) much better to habitualise  I think rather than different pitches of tones, hissing and almost generator noise which come in and out at all times of the day  (I have also had a church bell type sound lately - very bizarre!). 

I actually found it has helped me sometimes to go online and listen to examples of tinnitus and then I realise that mine is still a lot better than some people have to cope with!  I am due for an appointment shortly and I am planning to ask lots of questions on AN's tinnitus and the nerve - so I'll post anything I find out...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:13:16 am by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Alec

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
Hi to all,

I had mild tinnitus due to an Acoustic Neuroma operation in 1993.  A year and a half ago, I was subjected to loud noise for a brief amount of time. My tinnitus went (on a scale of 0-10) from a 2 to an 8! I have tried: accupuncture (11 sessions), supplements (6 months of t-gone), homeopathy (17 months of t-gone), hypnotherapy (24 sessions of Kevin Hogan's approach), energy healing (6 sessions...once I had 4 people work on me, at the same time!), Emotional Freedom Technique (www.tapping.com), meditation, sesame seeds, Organic Fenugreek Seed Tea, and rubbing blessed earth from a chapel in Chimayo, New Mexico.  My tinnitus is better, and my hyperacusis has dimished.  Nevertheless, I would still like to lower the volume and get rid of my musical tinnitus.

When I  was hypnotized, the following day was noiser (crisis healing), but the day after, for quite a few days was much lower.

I have seen my internest, 3 ENTs, a TOP ear doctor in NYC (considered a "TINNITUS EXPERT"!), as well as others in the field, and also have contacted many more (some in the cutting edge of researching a cure).

Thanks for reading my two cents!

Richey

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:36:59 am »
Come up with a fix for tinnitus that works and you'll have more money than Gates

Completely deaf in left ear but still have loud tinnitus, have it in my good ear too but bothers me more in the deaf ear.

Just have to live with it.

Esperanza

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 06:18:21 pm »
Can I just add I have been advised by a very reliable source! that following treatment 50% of people may experience some improvement in tinnitus, 40% find it stays about the same and for 10% it get worse  >:(    (this is following surgery).   

I am figuring that as I have already dealt with balance issues, SSD and am dealing with worsening tinnitus issues at the moment! If I do have surgery I may be dealt a kind hand!

Stay positive!
x
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:25:35 pm by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:42:59 pm »
As all have said -- no -- it doesn't go away.  After having it for 24 years, I can tell you, the only time when you notice it is when someone asks -- does tinnitus ever go away.  Then you recognize it.  Actually it becomes a part of who you are.  And you're in great company -- there is a long list of celebrities who have it -- David Letterman, Bill Clinton, Pete Townsend, Neil Yong, Barbara Streisand.  It's tough to deal with at first personally -- eventually you'll find that you can deal with it -- you will find however, that it's tough to deal with the people who don't get it. I've always felt that perfect people need to be put out of our misery.

(just kidding)
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 09:20:12 am »
Thank you all for your posts, learned alot, maybe not what I wanted to hear.  Alec, amazing what you have tried and some of you have given me hope that maybe it will reduce at some point in my treatment.....and I am in good company.   It is funny the quieter the environment the more aggravating the tinnitis.....so silence is golden does not apply to us.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!