Author Topic: Annual MRI time for me ! Wait and Watcher....  (Read 1493 times)

tatianne

Annual MRI time for me ! Wait and Watcher....
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:56:39 am »
Hi everyone !
A lot of new names here that I dont recognize and a few that are familiar.
For those who dont know me, I was diagnosed with a right side 8mm AN in July 2006.
Since then I have been have been having yearly MRIs to track the growth.
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2008 15 mm ( 5.5 mm of growth in one year)
At that point I was really questioning wether treatment should start but was advised by both my neurosurgeon and neurotologist to wait one more year. My AN was still complelty in the IAC and he felt it could still stop growing but also told me chances are treatments will be need sooner rather then later.
I had my annual MRI yesterday, it went ok with help of the relaxing meds, couldnt live without those !
I see my Neuro on Feb 3, ( yes Im in Canada and things are a little slow)..
I find the waiting really diffcult, each year the same anxiety during this time.
Hoping and praying for a stable AN that has decided to not grow this year.
Hearing is still the same, pretty good, I can use the phone with my AN ear and Im thankful for this.
Symptoms continue to be my friendly ringing and occassionaly a full blocked feeling.
My balance is a little off but not so bad, so symptoms and hearing stable since 2006, no change.
The advice I was given last year was if the hearing is still stable, GK is the way to go and if the hearing is gone surgery.
So waiting to find out if this is the year for treatment or another year of waiting.
I used to be around a lot on this forum but I have health anxiety and I realized as much as I loved sharing and helping others it was making me more stressed. So, usually around this time of year I come around and give my update, get to know whats whats with everyone.
God Bless
Tatianne
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

sgerrard

Re: Annual MRI time for me ! Wait and Watcher....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:04:30 am »
Hi Tatianne,

Visiting us once a year is fine. Having a life away from the forum is something we all strive for.  ;)

I sure hope you don't have another 5 mm of growth; stable would be a very nice result for this MRI. It is great that your symptoms have not changed, and your hearing is still working so well. I hope that continues as well. Best wishes!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:28 am »
I am one of the new names around and I can tell you that I did not even want to read or hear anything about AN when I found out. I figured that ignorance about AN for me was bliss. The less I knew the less I would stress out. I am post op about 3 1/2 months and I feel great, so I figured that I can maybe encourage others that are going through this (what I call) speedbump in life. This decision is very difficult and again I am so thankful to my support group for giving me the information that I needed about others who had gone through this. May the Lord guide you in your journey and decision, if I can give any encouragement or information please let me know. God Bless....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:47:15 am by JohnnyDiaz »
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:41:11 pm »
Tatianne -

good luck with the MRI results; let us know how it goes  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »
Tatianne ~

Welcome back and thanks for the update.  I think we can all understand your need to think about things other than an acoustic neuroma every day.  Remember, the majority of folks that visit here are post-surgery or post-radiation, which changes your point of view quite a bit.  I join many others in hoping your MRI showed no growth this year and that you can conquer your anxiety enough to enjoy your life.  We'll look for your update following your February 3rd consultation with the neurosurgeon.  Many prayers will be with you.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tatianne

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:20 pm »
Thanks everyone, you guys are still the best as always !
MUahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:35:12 pm »
Hi Tatianne -
I'm crossing my fingers for you that your MRI will show no new growth.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Keeping Up

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:54:54 pm »
Hi Tatianne

I too am a watch and waiter and a proud owner of a tiny little intracanicular (and a newbie, and a Canadian - in Toronto). I pretty much have no symptoms at this point either.

I hope you see no growth and can put off any decision/worry for another year.  I am encouraged to see that you have been able to delay any aggressive treatment for several years but 5mm in one year, YIKES!

Good luck - I will be very interested to hear of your results.

PS - my secret for next year, BOOK your ENT appointment when you get notice of your MRI 6 months earlier.  I havent' quite done it yet - but already asked the ENT because the wait was so so so hard between MRI and consult.  He said book for a few days later.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'