Author Topic: Disability  (Read 9850 times)

salamander

Disability
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:00 pm »
I'm just starting to fill out paperwork for long term disability.  One question that some of you might be able to answer is the process for continuing disability.  Since AN recovery is so variable, how will my doctors know what to put for "when will she be over it"?  I hope to get better, but appreciate having insurance to provide a little more time for me.  It has been 2 months now since my surgery. 

The side effects that are keeping me from returning to work are mostly headaches.  I call them regular brain freezes that overcome.  Bending over to pick something up from the floor is really bad.  I am working with the docs to try different treatments, but how can anyone predict??   Do the insurance companies just grant coverage month to month, or will I at least have a reasonable tine between revisiting status.

Any advice on filing is appreciated!  I hope to get it right without much rewriting.

Thanks,

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

salamander

Re: Disability
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:07:38 pm »
One more thing I forgot to ask, so I'll tag it on here. . . My disability has a three month "elimination" period, but I burned up a month before surgery not working because of the diagnosis and consultations.  And I was too freaked out by the concept of having a brain tumor to work.  So I believe that counts as part of the disability.  Does anyone have a similar experience, especially again with paperwork and did the insurance company accept that?  My company is assuming so.  Seems like it fits under emotional, mental issues, right?

Would that be under the insurance policy's "Freaked Out" clause??

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 02:01:53 pm »
Samantha -

the two forumites I know of who received disability recently are David (LADavid) and Captain Deb.  I'm sure they both could answer your questions and would be more than willing to help you out.  If neither of them responds to this post, you might want to PM them.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »
Samantha~
Are you talking about long-term disability insurance that you can get thru you work or GOVERNMENT disability??  This would GREATLY influence answers...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:02:54 am »
Samantha,

It sounds like you are filing for long term disability from your employer and not from Social Security.  I helped a friend work through her employers disability.  She is on a three month term and it is renewed by the middle of the last month.  She has been renewed four times and is now applying for SSD.  Her disability wasn't granted until after she had her surgery.  They did not consider mental and emotional stress from the diagnosis of Breast cancer to qualify, even though she was frozen with fear.  She is unable to work because she has had radiation, chemo and a double mastectomy and she is trying to get built up to have reconstructive surgery.  Her insurance granted disability on the basis of her inability to do her job for more than an hour a day.  She was way too weak.  I  think if your doctors state that in their professional opinion you will not be able to work for a minimum six month period and give reasons of balance, dizziness, migraines, fatigue and PTSS and maybe depression caused by the surgery you won't have a problem.  Even company disability insurance do their darnedest to keep from paying and it is supposed to be a benefit!  If you need any other help pm me or email me.  I'll be glad to pass along  any info I can.  I survived and won Social Security Disability a while back.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

salamander

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:00:15 am »
This is employer disability.  Although I saw that one requirement for their approval is to apply also for government.  Social Security states that you have to be disabled for more than one year so I assume I will be denied at this point, but maybe my insurance just needs to see that.  I sure hope it isn't that long, but I just don't know.    Three month renewals makes sense as you relayed, Brendalu.  Some kind of block of time, not indefinite.

My job requires heavy travel and interaction with new customers - you can imagine what a mess I would be by the time a flew across the country or to Europe and had to eat out with a killer headache and half my face not working.  They sure would be eager to buy. . . (attempt at self humor)

I have little experience but knew one person who was on disability years ago.  I recall that he was constantly stressed by having to "prove disability".  I agree it is supposed to be a benefit  and I will expect a lot of help from my employer!!  Obviously I would prefer to be pre-AN and working. . .

This is depressing, but apparently necessary.  I have to get past the feeling guilty part.  This is not my fault, this is not my fault, this is not my fault.   I'm doing my best, I'm doing my best, I'm doing my best. Grin. . . (well, half-grin)

THANKS for all your comments!!

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;

cin605

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:42:50 am »
I am going through the process for ssi.I have 25% of my vestubular working & it is undetermined if i will get all or any back as i am 7
months post op.My doc puts undertermined as he should becouse he nor any other doc can say when or if i will be able to work.hope this helps a little.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »
Hi Samantha

Yes I can answer questions about disability claims.  I unfortunately became an expert at it.  There are three general types of disability insurance -- immediate (work), short term (State) and long term (Social Security).  You're work claim will cover you for a few months.  Depending on which state you're in, State disability will cover you for up to a year.  Social Security will cover you until you are no longer disabled.

On the paperwork the doctor signs off on, they give a prognosis for recovery based on your condition.  Initially, my California state coverage was for two months -- the anticipated length of my recovery.  When that didn't happen, my doctor renewed my certification for two more months.  When that didn't happen and I developed synkinesis and the doctor projected my recovery to be two years if ever, I applied for Social Security.  I continued collecting State Disability while I went through testing that was required by the Social Security.  Three months after I applied, I was given Social Security benefits which will last until I am back to a condition where I can do my job again.  When last I talked to my PT, it will be at least 6 months to a year.

The main thing with disability is to be diligent.  If you can't perform your job due to the surgery and recovery, you are entitled to it -- but it takes a lot of follow-up and communications -- particularly with your doctor.  You have to be under your doctor's care.  They will determine your prognosis.  Also, while it took me three months to be approved by Social Security -- this is not the norm. There were just a bunch of things wrong with me.  And to correct something you said -- you don't need to be disabled for a year before you can be approved for Social Security -- your doctor needs to state that you will be disabled for a year - if that's what they believe.

If you want to PM me, I'll be glad to help you with your specifics.  It isn't fun to be out of commission, but there is help for you.  It probably won't pay what your income is, but you will at least have an income.

Good luck.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
Sorry Samantha, I thought you were asking about social security disability, which is why I suggested David and Captain Deb.

But it looks like David knows about all kinds of disability.

Thanks, David.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 05:12:34 pm »
Samantha:

My wife is on long-term disability from her employer due to health issues not related to an acoustic neuroma that I would prefer not to go into here.  However, I can give you an outline of the procedure, although I suspect that every company has a slightly different policy.

My wife, a supervisor in a national insurance company and an employee for over 10 years, first went on short-term disability for three months, then, when she couldn't return to work, she applied for long-term disability benefits.  That required not only her doctor's statement explaining her medical condition but an examination by a doctor designated by the company to confirm (or deny) her condition.  He confirmed it.  At that point the company began paying her benefits (70% of her former salary) but required her to apply for government Social Security disability benefits because, as they explained it, this is an 'entitlement'.  We interpreted this as meaning: why should we (the company) pay you money when the government (other people's tax money) will pay it? 

She went through the Social Security bureaucratic labyrinth as instructed, including numerous examinations by various SS-designated doctors .  Many trees died supplying the paper for all the documents generated by my wife's employer-dictated quest to secure disability benefits from her government. Finally, growing frustrated, she engaged an attorney that specialized in obtaining disability benefits from the recalcitrant Social Security Administration for his frenzied clients.  He succeeded and after two years, my wife was 'awarded' monthly benefits from the Social Security administration.  Heartfelt cries of 'Hallelujah' were heard in our home that day.  The neighbors just thought we were crazy.  We didn't care.

At that point, her company began deducting the amount Social Security now paid her (monthly) from the amount the company's coverage paid her (70% of her former salary).  So, she receives two checks every month (Direct Deposit, actually).  One from Social Security and one from her company.  Combined, they amount to 70% of her former salary, as stipulated in her agreement with her employer (she is technically still considered an employee).  Oh, and when she finally received the money she should have been getting from Social Security for the past 2 years in a lump sum, the company demanded she fork over a proportionate amount to them based on the fact that they had been paying her the full 70% for the past 2 years, which they now considered an 'overpayment' because she qualified for Social Security disability benefits.  Are you still with me?  In effect, the Social Security administration pays about 50% of the amount the company promised to pay her and the company pays the rest.  She ends up with the correct amount each month but from 2 checks and after a lot of hassle.  Certainly more than was necessary. 

My wife is required to be examined by a doctor the company designates, once per calendar year.  The company pays his (or her) fee.  My wife's PCP also has to submit a form every year attesting  that she remains disabled.  We have to pay his fee (about $75.)  If either doctor ever claims that she is no longer disabled, she would lose her company benefits.  To my knowledge, the Social Security administration does not require her to submit forms or undergo an annual examination.  I could be wrong on that, but I doubt it. 

The takeaway from all this is that a company can be rather difficult about paying long-term disability benefits and if they require you to apply for Social Security benefits too, it can be a long slog.  However, with determination and tenacity, you can prevail, as my intrepid wife did.  I hope this somewhat lengthy account of one person's experience is helpful to you-  and I wish you well in your attempt to secure what is due you from both your employer and your government.   :)

Jim
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:04:19 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.