Author Topic: Back in GA after Translab  (Read 10676 times)

wendysig

Re: Back in GA after Translab
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:21 am »
Hi Cindy and Wayne
Congratulations on the milestone of driving -- it's a big one!  I'm sure even though you're not driving far it feels good to get some independence back, I know it felt that way for me.  You should celebrate all victories, big and small!

Wishing you both continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 03:45:31 pm »
Hey Cindy!

I'm just trying to catch up on the forum and see you've been driving! Yippee! It's a great feeling - well, maybe not the first time...but a little easier every time behind the wheel. Sorry your eye seems to be giving your problems, but it sounds like other than that you're doing really well!

About the tummy scars - since I had the same docs as you and Donnalynn, I got curious as to the size of my scar...so I measured it. Mine is just over 1 1/2 inches long - so the only logical explanation is that I had MUCH more fat available! :D (Though I think I can make out the "z" from the end of Schwartz. ;))

Sounds like you may have a Georgia get together pretty soon, too. If you do, be sure to post your pics!

Take care and feel good,

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

cindyj

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 06:48:27 pm »
Ok, I finally got my post-op Magic Scarf picture out of the camera, on to the computer and uploaded to Photobucket!  But now I can't remember how to add it here in a post - I tried searching for directions that I know others have put out here, but having no luck tonight.  Can someone please tell me again...sorry! 

Nancy, yes, it has been great to be back behind the wheel again!  I've warned all of my neighbors to watch out for me, though!  Wayne, I would be afraid to drive up there in your area even without wonkiness!  Be careful!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »
Jan just posted her instructions for posting photobucket pictures in the "Pictures of Friends" topic:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8049.msg89062#msg89062

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 01:12:40 pm »
Here's a seven day post-op Magic Scarf photo...finally...thanks Steve and Jan for your technical assistance.  This is the day I escaped back to the hotel - I was waiting for the taxi in the hospital lobby.  Didn't know Mom would whip out the camera at that moment or I would have worn a matching leopard print shirt ;)

I signed up with a local gym this week and get a free session with a personal trainer tomorrow.  He "evaluated" me yesterday and will give me a workout plan tomorrow.  He had me do push-ups (girly kind) yesterday - I could only do three, yes three.   But, I'm feeling those three today and know I'm going to be very sore after working w/ him tomorrow - but I'm looking forward to that soreness as I know it's a sign that I'm getting back to normal.  Driving last week, gym this week, maybe tennis next week???  We'll see...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wcrimi

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 06:14:44 pm »
Cindy,

Glad to see you are doing so well.  Did you get permission from your doctor to do more vigorous exercise?  How is the wonky-head?

I had a great day on Saturday. I went shopping at a huge mall, out to dinner etc.. and felt the best I have yet. But since then I had a couple of really bad days. My balance was actually much worse Sunday and Monday; it got a touch better Tuesday and I guess I was back to where I was before on Wednesday.  It's very frustrating to feel not progress in the way I feel, just in what I am willing to do to test myself and return to normal living. I wish I saw just a little progress, but I have to say the last 3 weeks I am exactly the same after making huge progress the first 3 weeks.

Does anyone know how long you are typically supposed to wait before starting more vigorous execise than just walking?

At two weeks I was told I could walk as much as I iiked but to wait a few weeks before doing anything more vigorous. Dr. Smouha didn't seem to have a strong conviction about how much I could do and settled on riding a stationary bike for now.  He seemed to defer to Dr. Post on that. I'm not doing much yet other than walking (a real lot), but at some point I'd like to test myself a little even if my balance is still off.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

sgerrard

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »
Why is it we like to see photos so much? Don't know, really, we just do.  :)

You do look well for being 7 days post-op. I would have guessed you could do at least 5 of those girly push ups.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 08:18:01 am »
Well, after seeing Ken's Magic Scarf fashion statements, I feel very frumpy ::)

Wayne, no, I didn't exactly get permission to start working out  ;) but I wasn't told not to either...my post-op instructions were to basically do NOTHING for a month.  The instructions were "silent" about what I could do after that, so I'm taking that to mean I can do whatever I want to do...hmmm, I hope I didn't miss anything...I've always been one to "push the envelope" as far as post-op instructions go, but this time I've been pretty well behaved, I think.  I will be careful, though.  The trainer I'm working with today knows I've just had the surgery and about the wonkiness - he knows I will have to go quite slowly at first. 

Hang in there, Wayne - I, like many others, have days are that are worse than others as far as the balance/wonky head goes.  Know what you mean about the first 3 weeks, when progress went much more quickly, and now it seems much slower.  But, we are making progress!

Steve, my goal today is to do those five push-ups!

Have a great day all!
feeling great!

MKLady

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:15 am »
Cindy you look great!  I didn't look that good for .... well I'm not sure I look that well yet.  I wish I was further south and I'd work out with you.  You go girl.  If there is no danger in the workouts keep up the push ups. (I didn't get any precautions about that either.)  I noticed this weekend when I tried to pull the Christmas tree out of the attic that I have ZERO upper body strength.  Not sure where or when it went but it is gone. Had to bring it down in sections.  I've got to start some kind of strength work out myself to get it back.  I'm single and there is no husband around for the heavy stuff.  My son is leaving in January to move to Texas so it is up to me when it comes to lifting stuff.

Good to see you are feeling better.

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

FAITH40

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 10:52:49 am »
SUSAN AND CINDY,

HEYYYY HAPPY NEW YEAR!  ;) HOW ARE YA'LL DOING? LET'S GET TOGETHER SOON!!! I CAN DRIVE NOW!!!!!!!!! ;)

TAMMI
2.8 CM AN NASHVILLE,TN. DR. REID THOMPSON AND DR. DAVID HAYNES REMOVED DEC. 4TH- 07 TRANSLAB - 16 1/2 HOUR SURGERY - STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE- FACIAL PARALYSIS (HEALING) 100% HEARING LOSS (AN SIDE)
4 DAY HOSPITAL STAY ! DOING GREAT!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 03:19:52 pm »
Hi all,

there were some posts here (after this last one from Faith) about a local get together in the Atlanta area. I've taken the posts and merged them in a post started by CindyJ in the AN Community forum, so all would be noted there.

BTW, if you all get together for breakfast... Awful Waffle sounds good! Love them grits there! :)

Now back to original topic...
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"