Author Topic: Ear Pain and Falling  (Read 2973 times)

bern

Ear Pain and Falling
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:18:12 pm »
I have severe chronic ear pain on the side of my NA.  I take otc pain relievers but nothing works. I also, after never falling while wearing my high heels for 20 years, fell hard the other day at work.  My body aches. 

Can someone help me about the ear pain. Is this normal and permanent? 

wcrimi

Re: Ear Pain and Falling
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »
I don't have an answer for you, but it might help if you gave a little more information.

How long ago did you have your treatment? What Kind?

When in doubt, I think the best thing you can do is call whoever treated you. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:17:46 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »
Hi Bern,

I don't think there is anything normal or permanent about chronic severe ear pain. If there is swelling of the GK treated AN, which can happen up to 18 months post treatment, it could cause ear pain as well as other symptoms involving the nerves in the area. The usual treatment is anti-inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen, or a course of steroids for more severe cases.

I know you have been struggling to find a physician to help you manage your symptoms. I would focus on your primary care doctor and an ENT, who should be able to help you manage pain in the ear. If it some other nerve issue, you might need to find a neurologist. ANs do cause balance issues as well, so you may need to be aware of that, and take care while you readjust your sense of balance.

I hope you find something.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:48 pm »
I've been getting ear pain lately, too. It's usually associated with a headache, which starts in one location and works it's way to the ear. Tylenol seems to help me.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

windy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:59:52 pm »
I have had bouts of severe ear pain since GK, as well.  It did not happen in a severe way until three to four months, post GK.  I was taking as much as 1000 mg. of Advil per day with no relief from the right side ear pain.  My ear pain got to the point where it would wake me up all night, even with the Advil.  The pain also started affecting my cheek and neck on the right side only.  When I went to my ENT he said it was TMJ!  As he could not see an infection in my ear, he could not come up with anything else.  He said it was too late in recovery for it to be the tumor swelling.  I don't think he knows much about tumors and radiation.  It definitely was not TMJ because I know the symptoms from experience.

Fortunately, I had been prescribed a Medrol Dosepak the week before for a problem with my foot.  I took the Dosepak and it helped the pain tremendously!  Have you asked your doctors about prescribing steroids?  If it is from tumor swelling and affecting the nerves, the medicine should give you some very needed relief.  I wish you well!! 
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

mk

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:17 am »
I am wondering if it is the trigeminal nerve that's causing that pain. It is not uncommon for the trigeminal nerve to act up after treatment, no matter if it is surgery or radiation and the pain can be quite severe. Quite a few forumites have used meds such as Neurontin for nerve pain, may be you guys should ask your doctors about this?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.