Author Topic: BAHA Insurance Policy  (Read 7257 times)

lori67

BAHA Insurance Policy
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:41:46 pm »
Ok, not sure where I should have put this one - here or under hearing issues, but I'm sure the forum gods will guide me in the right direction!   ;D

I know a few of us have spoken about the extended warranty/insurance policy offered by Cochlear after the initial one year warranty runs out.  My audiologist had suggested having it covered under my homeowners policy instead of the Cochlear policy because he said their policy is expensive and doesn't really cover very much. I honestly don't remember what the details of the policy were because it was a year ago, but I remember thinking the homeowners thing was a good idea.

Anyway, I called to ask about adding my BAHA onto my policy.  My particular insurance company (Travelers) was not able to add it on as a rider, but they were able to issue a separate policy that covers the processor for loss/damage up to $5000 for $146 a year.  I haven't gotten the paperwork and the policy in the mail yet, so I'm not sure of any deductibles or fine print, but I know that $146 was less than what Cochlear was charging.  I'll let you know the details if anyone is interested as soon as I get the papers in the mail.  Even with a pretty high deductible, it would sure beat buying a new processor!

If, for some reason, your homeowners/renters policy doesn't cover the BAHA, the underwriter I spoke to said there was another insurance company that would cover it called Esco ( 800-992-3726).  I don't know anything about this company, but thought it might come in handy to someone, so I figured I'd pass it along.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Insurance Policy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:05:42 pm »
Lori -

thanks for this information.  I haven't had a chance to ask my insurance company (Allstate) about coverage yet; it's on my long list of things to do.  But I need to get around to it soon since it's almost been a year since my BAHA surgery and I should have some kind of protection for my processor. 

Please let us know the details when you get them. 

Thanks for the tip about Esco also.  Good to know in case Allstate can't give me the coverage.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:49:13 pm »
Lori,

Thank you for the insurance research. I was just assuming that I could have my insurance company add my BAHA as a rider, but that may not be the case. Will also look into Esco.

Thanks again!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:47 pm »
Hi Lori,
Since I haven't even officially gotten my processor yet, obviously this isn't a big issue for me yet, but good to know.  We also use Traveler's for our home owner's  insurance.  $146 or thereabouts beats the heck out of over $500 (I dont' remember the exact amount) for one year.  Thanks for the information!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »
Ok, and for today's insurance update.....I just got my policy in the mail so now I know the details. 

There is no deductible, which is nice.  They will pay the cost to repair it to it's original state or replace it, I'm sure whichever is cheapest for them.  There are some exclusions, such as normal wear and tear or intentional damage.  Some of the other more interesting exclusions were damage from:  earthquakes, derailment of a form of public conveyance, airplane crash, explosion, nuclear war or nuclear accident. 

I'm thinking this won't be too much of a problem, because I have a feeling my BAHA will be the least of my worries in these situations.   :o

Who thinks of these things???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:01:41 am »
Hi Lori,
Thanks for the update.  I have to wonder myself who thnks up these restrictions and what are they smoking?  They have to realize how ridiiclous and in some cases, downright funny, some of them are. :D  I have to agree that under most of these circumstances, my BAHA would be my last concern.  Does Traveler's insure your BAHA against loss and i f so, is the possibility of it falling off unnoticed a restricion?

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:38 am »
Lori -

thanks for the update.  I'll have to remember, when in a plane crash, remove my BAHA  ::)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12:52 am »
Yes, in the event your train is about to derail, remove your BAHA processor and put it safely into the protective case that it came with.   I have a feeling you won't want to hear what's going on anyway!   :D

Wendy, yes, the policy covers loss also, and I assume that would mean if it fell off.  Let's hope I don't have to put that theory to the test.

Some of those exclusions just made me laugh.  When James read it he thought they had written it specifically with him in mind, since he's a nuclear engineer and thought maybe he'd "accidently" bring home some uranium or something.  Oops, I hate when that happens and messes up my BAHA!! 

Lori

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »
Lori,
Pretty funny -- does James bring extra uranium home on a regular basis then?  :D :D :D

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:39:02 pm »
Well, you know, when I worked as a nurse, I always came home with pens and band aids and stuff in my pockets, so I guess anything is possible!   :D

At least I'd be able to save on my electric bill if he did....

Lori

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:53:23 pm »
I still think it's pretty amazing that homeowners insurance will cover a bolt in your head ... 

Debbi (just jealous...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:37:10 pm »
Well, actually, Debbi, don't be too jealous - it doesn't cover the bolt - just the processor!  I think if you were to lose the bolt from your head, you might need more than just a replacement bolt!   :o

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:55:28 pm »
A bolt in your head?  :o

This reminds me of the time Steve likened us to Frankenstein  ::)

I'm starting to get offended here  :(

Jan

jcc1138

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 05:43:51 pm »
Dear All:
I have two hearing aids covered by my current insurance company, Ohio Casualty for $80.00 for $4,000 worth of coverage on the two. It will cover them for damage or loss, since it is a inland marine rider. I will fail to give the class a long discussion on the reasons why certain unusual acts are not covered by an inland marine policy (but think about the second term "marine").  ::)