Author Topic: 10 weeks out and returning to work .......  (Read 3703 times)

Denisex2boys

10 weeks out and returning to work .......
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »
.... and I am scared $%&*less!  I know I can do it - I did go in last Friday for the whole day expecting it to be quiet - but it was actually quite busy.  I will be going in every day for 5-6 hours at first - I have an Admin. job which is not physically strenuous.  It just seems the people around me (work, parents, friends, etc.) are much more apprehensive about what i can do than I am!  Did any of you find that as well?  It makes me question my recovery sometimes ....

I have still not gone back to the gym - my head is still too wonky when I move too quickly - but I have been doing the Wii Fit (HIGHLY recommend this for balance rehab), floor exercises and I get out for a really, really long walk daily that incorporates lots of hills, snow and traffic.  Heck, today my 5 year old was home from school not feeling so hot and I pulled him in his sleigh the entire walk - - I sure was pooped when I got home!  I lost some weight from the surgery since I was one of the unlucky one's who vomitted frequently in the beginning due to the balance nerve being lost -- so I needed to firm up the 'chicken skin'.

My eye, balance and numbness on side of tongue, cheek (feels like I am talking thru marbles at times) are my biggest issues.  My fatique seems fine - I am staying up until the news comes on and can get by on 6-8 hrs of sleep - I am sure though that once I do start working I will tire more easily.

I still wake up with a headache EVERY single day - - but at least I can control them - - but I am a Tylenol / Advil junkie - that is for sure ....

I have been a little down lately as I have not seen improvement in weeks now - I am sure internally there is improvement - but not that I have noticed.  But like I keep telling everyone .... I am working hard at recovery and if this is it - this is it - I have to learn to deal with the annoyances.  The biggest bummer is that my hearing on the left is gone - the nerve was flattened by the tumor - so this is hard to get used to in busy environments - and unfortunately, is not at an attainble level to warrant a conventional hearing aid.

So, anyway ....... I do thank everyone here for the support and I hope that you can offer me some good advice for my return to normalcy and the working world!

- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Kaybo

Re: 10 weeks out and returning to work .......
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:14:51 pm »
Denise~
Sounds like you are doing GREAT!  All I can say about work is just to be ready to be exhausted!  Hopefully, you'll have a lot of really good days, but know that sometimes, you will just have a really bad day - listen to your body!!  I did 1/2 days the first week - I alternated mornings and afternoons - but I was teaching 1st grade - very physically taxing, even when you 100% OK!!   ;)
Good Luck!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »
Denise,
You are doing really well.  (And I have the marble mouth/numbness issues so I get it.)  Everything takes so long to resolve itself and some days feel like a backward slide.  You are going back to work--that's a huge milestone and I'm sure you will be happy you did it.  You may not be extremely productive for a while (I wasn't) but it felt like an accomplishment just to be there.  You are also exercising which will only speed your recovery.  Remember to rest when you need to.  If you are having trouble sleeping you might want to ask the doctor for a sleeping pill of some sort.  I find the more rest I get, the more I notice gradual improvements.  Rest helps recovery!  Anyway, congratulations on returning to work.  Keep us posted.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:48:20 pm »
Denise:

I've followed your journey from the beginning and I'm impressed with your fortitude.  Returning to work is a huge milestone on the road to recovery and you've just passed it.  Congratulations!  :)

Although your various post-op issues are taking longer to resolve than you would prefer, I'm confident you'll eventually surmount them.  The fact that you're taking long walks (pulling your child on a sleigh, no less!) are dealing well with any fatigue and have returned to work demonstrates a lady having a better recovery than she realizes. From this point on, just 'listen to your body'.  If you have headaches and require OTC medication to tamp them down, take it.  Get as much rest as you need, don't be bound by an arbitrary schedule.  The other issues are nerve -related and will take some time to resolve, but they very likely will.  Patience and your determination and positive attitude (even when you don't see big improvements) will get you through to the normalcy you want so much, as we all do.  You'll make it, Denise and we'll be rooting for you every day!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:40 pm »
Denise -

I found the trick to returning to work was to start slowly.  I did half-days for about two weeks before I want back full-time.  So, I think your plan of working 5-6 hours a day to begin with is a great idea. 

I remember it felt a little strange being back at work and it took time to adjust, but before I knew it things were back to normal again.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:41 pm »
Denise,

Some really good advice has been given.  Remember, slow and steady wins the race. 

Good luck and know it will be an adventure, and an accomplishment! 

Anne Marie

P.S.  Make sure you have an extra large Tim's  :-*
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:16 pm »
hey

When I went back to work I was thrown in at the deep end, there are only three of us as its a family business but one member of staff went on holiday it was booked before i went off sick, so I went stright back full time and I'm a caterer so no sitting down for me, I was exausted to say the least, it was last easter that i went back to work and to be honest I still have bad days and most days when I come home I'm shattered, but in my line of work its very busy and fast paced.
My only advice would be the same of everyone else take it easy rest when you need to, don't feel pressured to do extra work to make up for not being there (I did) and again listen to your body, I think us ANers are good at that now!

Take care and good luck, being back at work is a good thing you start to feel alomost normal again and having people to talk to helps, there are only so many things you can talk to the cat about (I did that too)

Big hugs Cheryl XxX  :-*

diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »
How is it going, Denise?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com