Author Topic: update on my translab  (Read 2940 times)

Keri

update on my translab
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:27:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

I had my translab a week ago. Here's how it went (will try not to be too wordy!) Off to the hospital to arrive at 6:00am; boy, it never slowed down after that. I thought I'd read, relax a little. Actually I hadn't been that nervous and thought all of that would hit that morning. There was never time! Got all that pre op stuff done. The 'barber' (doc with the razor) came to shave part of my hair and I really tried to negotiate that one! He just kept going and going... had to make more round spots for leads for the MRI circles that wires get attached to (I am probably not making any sense - just took a Percoset and am a little woozy!). Whisked off for MRI and CT. Then I think I saw my husband one last time and pastor, who prayed with me.
When I got in the operating room, I was so fascinated - it was busy, lots going on. I really wanted to stay awake and just be a part. But zzzzzzzzzzzzz... next I knew it was 6:30pm and I was in ICU. If they woke me up in recovery, I'm don't remember a bit. They said things went well. Got all the tumor. Of course, I was out of it.

Then sometime in the wee hours (this happened every night/morning who knows what hour) I got the 'visit' from the Blue Angels (that's what I'm calling them). I'd have this group of 5 or so doctors, residents, ??? standing around my bed in the dark room saying a very chipper "Good Morning Ms Jacobs!!!! Mind if we shine this light in your eye? Follow my finger.... SMILE!!! show us your teeth; blow a kiss, etc etc." I would have felt like throwing a shoe at them if they hadn't been so very nice, friendly and if hadn't all seeed so crazy at that hour.

I was in ICU for a few days. I think they were worried about a clot and/or drainage (or lack) out of one side of my head (not a fluid leak though). I was whisked away for 3 more MRI's and CT scans at all hours.  I was pretty out of it for a few days. I DO remember the Super Bowl. I remember that big 100 yard play; I remembered that the score was 20-7 for what seemed like forever. I tried to see what Bruce Sringsteen did during halftime but don't remember. I think right before the 4th quarter I mentally tuned in a bit more and it became a game.

I was noticing (I guess from the beginning) that my face on the left wasn't moving right. It was hard to close my eye. The doctors seemed somewhat concerned, but were also encouraged that the nerve had responded well to stimulation. Apparently, it was sticky on the facial nerve, but then just came off. My tumor had been 1.5 at time of diagnosis, but they said it had grown some. So, all of you who have experienced the facial paralysis, that's what I'm going through now. My eye does close sometimes by itself, sometimes I push it closed. My smile just doesn't come up on the left. I eat crumb sized bites and chew on the right.

I got home from the hospital Tuesday night. I was starting to feel like myself again, at least half the time. I'm trying to slow down on the pain pills as they make me feel weird.  Yesterday I went for a very short walk. (I walked very slowly). It was nice to be outside. My balance seems pretty good. Today I tried to do some stuff with my hair and admired my cool scar! I look like I have a one sided mohawk, but my long hair on top covers a lot.

I am getting around alright, but am trying to get rest as well. Today I didn't feel quite as well as yesterday, but I know this will come and go. I'm looking forward to a walk tomorrow; the temp should be warmer than the 15 degrees it was today.

I have been reading your posts on facial and eye issues. Will read these more completely in the coming days and will have more of my own questions as well. By the end of the day, when I get on the forum is the hardest time for me to read!

Thank you all ! I'll check in again soon.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: update on my translab
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:04 pm »
Keri:   You are doing unbelievably well posting after only 1 week post op.

You need to sleep, sleep, sleep, as your body tells you.   So much energy is being used to heal,
Just lay back, relax,  take short walks at 1st.   Eat as well as you can - eat what your body craves...
Continued healing,   Always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:27 am »
Hi Keri.

Congratulations on a succesfull surgery. I hope your recovery will be a gentle one.
I you have troble closing your eye, you may want to be carefull using the computer to much.

But this forum is very usefull for information when you want it, in stead of piling up a bunch of questions for the doctor.

Best regards, Kenneth

Raven

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:50:25 am »
Keri,

Good to see you are home and that your surgery went well. Your surgery day sounds exactly like mine.............imagine that!! I had some facial issues for about a week and then cleared up, maybe yours will do the same, after all we had the same Dr. I didn't watch the Super Bowl, just knowing "the enemy" was in it with a chance to win was reason enough not to watch it.

Anyway, welcome to post op land, get alot of rest, and do alot of walking........here is what I did, I can walk thru my foyer, living, family and dining rooms, kind of makes a circle. I started out with 10 laps three times a day, added 1 lap each day until I had enough strength to go outside and take longer walks............it really helped. Those first couple days were brutal but I stuck with it.

P.S. do you go to any of the Ravens home games?

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »
Hey Keri!

Good to hear from you! I was thinking of you, and it's great to know that you're doing ok.
Sounds like the weather will be nice this weekend so you can take a quick walk outside :)

Take care,
Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:58:45 pm »
Keri:

Thanks for posting the informative update!  It does seem pretty familiar to many of us, including me.  Congratulations on a successful surgery.  I hope your (apparently) mild facial paralysis resolves soon, as it probably will. 

Please try to rest and not do too much, too soon, a common mistake some of us tend to make. 

Wishing you a full and rapid recovery!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:16:49 pm »
Keri,
Thanks for the update.  You sound pretty good, considering.  Take care of yourself, sleep, eat, and move. 
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 07:08:28 am »
Keri -

thanks for updating us; we always wonder how our posties are doing.  Sounds like things are pretty status quo for only having had surgery very recently.  Nancy offered wonderful advice for your ongoing recovery.

I like your story about the Blue Angels.  Why is it that these guys always show up so early?  UGH!  My neurosurgeon showed up daily around 6:30 a.m. and while I liked seeing him, it seemed like he would always appear just as I had finally gotten to sleep.  My neurotologist, thankfully, didn't show up until a few hours later each morning.  The hospital, ironically, is just no place to get rest - home is MUCH better.  So I'm glad you're there  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:01:42 am »
Keri,

It sounds like you are doing really well and I know you are glad to be home.  Remember to listen to your body, it will let you know how much you can push yourself and when you need to rest.  Allow yourself to be pampered, if possible, you deserve it.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!