Author Topic: Wendy's BAHA Pictures  (Read 11912 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Wendy's BAHA Pictures
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
I'm not sure I'd want to gold plate my healing cap, but I have been thinking about another tattoo.

So if anyone attending the symposium in August would like to take a little side trip to the Jade Dragon we could plan a field trip.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:18 pm »
Maybe Steve could get a tattoo of a BAHA on the side of his head!   :D  Then he'd be ALMOST as cool as us! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:07:18 pm »
Yeah!  Let's take Steve on that field trip  ;)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:21:14 pm »
I have always wanted a tattoo on my toe but I hear that is not a good place to get one b/c the skin sluffs off so much...What are you thinking about Jan?

I got a daisy on my toe, it is not real, it does not grow...it's just a tattoo of a flower, so I look neat taking a shower...
It's on the 2nd toe of my left foot...a stem and flower, but there's no root!  because, that wouldn't look good!
I've got a daisy on my toe it is not real it does not grooooooooooooooooooooooooow!
 (anyone ever heard that song?)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:22 am »
Lori,
I was re-thinking that and gold plating might get a little pricey -- maybe we can just spray paint them with gold Krylon paint and write the surgery dates with a Sharpie!  Still quite lovely and inexpensive too!   ;D ;D  And no need for fancier digs either -- a win-win solution!   As for jewels, we could get fake birthstone jewels for the appropriate month of each person's surgery and glue them into the snap part of the healing cap -- I can picture it now!

Jan - Tattoos look nice on other people and the fake ones are okay,  but I can't say I've ever wanted real  one of my very own.  I wouldn't mind coming on the field trip though, especially if we can talk Steve into getting the BAHA tattoo.  The tattoo artist would have to shave Steve's hair to do the tattoo, so he'd really look authentic,  at least until his hair grew back! :D :D :D :D :D

K - I can't say I've ever heard that song before -- I thought you made it up, but I also thought it was very clever of you  ;D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:44 am »
Wendy~
I'm not that creative - you must have xonfused me with Lori for a sec there!   ;D  I wish I was creative like that!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:31 am »
Oh, great - now you know the real reason I moved to Nashville.... I'm an aspiring songwriter.  I'm just trying to support myself with the garage surgeries - and now the garage arts and crafts studio, until my music career takes off!   :D

Wendy, great idea - I've got lots of beads and shiny things for the girls creative endeavors (we may have to empty the vacuum cleaner bag for the glitter though - I'm pretty sure that's where most of it's ended up).  And I got a package of 50 different color Sharpies for Christmas!  (I love Sharpies!).  I think we're in business!  Now we just need some customers.

Kay, I have never heard that song before.  Must be a Texas thing.   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 12:48:34 pm »
Michelle -
I'm glad to hear you're looking into BAHA.  Let us know if that is available in Canada and if you think you might go for it!  I just can't wait to be able to use my processor.  I'm sure I will be very happy!

Lori -- I meant to say that your BAHA head wrap sounds very unique -- if you can find the picture I would love to see it. ;D

K - I'm sure you can be creative, you just need to be inspired!

Debbi - Glad you liked my head wrap -- as for the sushi chef thing, I totally  think I could pull it off! ;D
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:18 pm »
Just as an aside, TransEar claims they'll be in Canada this year.  Per the TransEar website (http://www.transear.com), "TransEar is presently available only in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Ireland (the latter two beginning 2009). Plans are in place to expand to Canada and Australia by the end of 2009, and we welcome distributor inquiries and recommendations from other parts of the world."

It's a viable option for many.

On with the garage business talk.  I'm with Lori in that most everything can be found in our vacuum bag.  We need a supply of duct tape or Elmers glue or something, though.  ;)  And, it must be a NORTHERN Texas thing cuz I've been here all my life and never heard of that song.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »
It is by the Smothers Brothers (I don't think they were from Texas?) - I heard it at a girl from church's house when I was in Jr. High and have sung it ever since!!   ;D  I really have always said that the only place I would get a tattoo is on my toe!!  I would have to be VERY inspired, but it has been known to happen!!   ::)

I have found that Duct Tape now comes in COLORS!  Of course, I found this at WalMart (I go everyday!).  I have flourescent pink & green and purple!  i used it to put a basketball court on my driveway.  I could have had SOOOOOO muck fun with this while I was teaching - especially PE!!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 03:27:49 pm »
Did someone say Tatoo Party??!!  I may be in!  I got a little rose on my shoulder for my 40th birthday (that was before I met my rather conservative husband).  I had intended to get another for my 50th, but never got around to it - now that I'll soon be 53, maybe I need to get with the program!  I got my first one in NYC when I lived there - got my doctor to prescribe one percoset to me so that I wouldn't run screaming from the tatoo parlor - apparently it worked.  The friend who went with said that I kept telling the "artist" that he should stop tickling me.

Okay, Wendy - get your sushi hat ready!  You know that they customarily only allow men to be sushi chefs, but I feel quite certain that exceptions could be made when one has had brain surgery!

See you tomorrow!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »
Debbi -
I'll sharpen up my knives and practice my carving skills.  Maybe I can ask Dr. Choe for a lesson or two -- surgeons are probably great at carving meat and fish! ;D ;D ;D

See you tomorrow!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 07:15:49 pm »
I was surprised to see the "hated turban" on your head.  Do you have to wear one after your BAHA surgery, too?????  I was so sick of wearing one when I had my AN surgery......x 2 (b/c I had the spinal fluid leak).   I think my doctor insisted on me wearing one wayyyy longer than everyone else.  It was at least the second doctor appointment after I went home from the hospital.
How long do you have to wear it?
Your surgery site looked good.
Thanks for showing us the pics.  Yours looked good.....but it just surprised me.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

wendysig

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:42 pm »
Hi Lacey,
I had to wear my head wrap for 24 hours after my BAHA surgery -- I got to take it off myself the day after the surgery since it is out-patient surgery.  If you are thinking about it , I can tell you as Jan, Lori and Tammy told me -- it really is a piece of cake, especially compared to AN surgery.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 02:57:35 pm »
Lacey -

my BAHA "hat" was similar to Wendy's, but a little different.  I actually had a large hard plastic "cup" that covered my AN ear and my BAHA site.  Then I had the white wrapping.  Pictures are on this forum somewhere if you want to search. 

Anyway, the BAHA wrap isn't tight like the mastoid bandage they wrap your head with after AN surgery.  And, as Wendy mentioned, you only wear it for 24 hours.  I'd be happy to answer BAHA questions for you too - as would Lori.

Debbi -

glad to see you're up for a tattoo party.  The Jade Dragon isn't downtown, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get transportation there.  I'll bet if we can get Wendy there, we can convince her to get a tiny one  ;)

Wendy -

my tattoo isn't huge and the majority of people I know don't even realize I have one - it's well covered by my sleeve.  I'm not the average person who gets tattooed, in fact I told Gary, who did mine, that I felt really out of place.  Here I was this middle-aged suburban woman inside a place full of people with tattoos and piercings.  There were motorcycles parked at the curb, which I found hysterical as I parked my "mom" van.  I confess, I almost didn't walk into the place.  I was thisclose to chickening out  :D

I always said I'd get a tattoo if I could think of something that had meaning to me - so my surgery date was perfect.  Afterall it was a day that changed my life forever - just by making me SSD if nothing else.

As for Steve's BAHA tattoo, we could ask one of the docs at the symposium to do the head shaving part.  They have lots of experience and it would save money.

Kay -

never heard the song; thought you wrote it also. 

I'm not that adventurous when it comes to tattoos.  If anything I'd have the date of my BAHA surgery added to my arm - and possibly the date I got my processor.

Jan