Author Topic: Winking?  (Read 8218 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Winking?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 12:37:29 am »
Cool  8)

Maybe if Steve's good this year Santa will bring him a loom for Christmas  ;)

Seriously, Steve, is knitting hard to do?  I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be very therapeutic and a great hobby.

Did you learn by reading a book? or did someone teach you?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 01:03:05 am »
I am learning from the Internet, of course. There are actually quite a lot of knitting sites.  8)

I looked at the looms, but so far it doesn't have the same appeal to me. If I am going to knit, I am going for knit, and purl, and rib stitch, the whole nine yards. It isn't difficult to learn what you are supposed to do; it takes some time to get the sequence and the feel down well enough that you can actually get somewhere.

So the remaining question is hats. I am going to work up to that; the big question is, how long will it take to do one?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 07:13:58 am »
Steve~
Way to go!!  Did you go to a shop like in the Friday Night Knitting Club to get your supplies (BTW-I think there is a sequel out...)??  To tell you the truth, I had told Dave that it would not surprise me if you did learn and show us all!  That was probably a month or two ago...

Happy Knitting!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:32 am »
Okay, knitting classes in Steve's hotel room at the symposium.  BYOY.  (Bring your own yarn).

Steve, are you serious - you really learned from the internet?  I've been trying to learn how to crochet since I was about 10 years old - even bought myself the "Crocheting for Dummies" book, but apparently I haven't even advanced to "Dummy" yet.   :-[

Brian, I can't help you much on the winking issue, since I can't wink in my AN eye either, but I'd be up for a one-eyed staring contest.  Just not against Kay.  She's had more practice.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:54 am »
What can I say?  I am one talented girl...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 03:34:42 pm »
Okay, first of all - Steve - you CAN knit!! Either that, or someone out there is missing their tiny little blanket...

Brian, just be careful not to over-exercise the eye.  Forcing things can cause the dreaded synkinesis.  You might also check the bells palsy website http://www.bellspalsy.ws/exercise.htm which has some excellent exercise guidelines, written by Jackie Diehls.  Anyway, winking is over-rated - better to have the masterful, non-flinching stare.  Plus, it throws people their game when you can out-stare them! Or, it freaks them out - I can never remember...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 04:33:11 pm »
Yeah, thanks for the website.  I saw you put it on another post to someone else so I used it and printed out exercises and the map graphic of the facial muscles and nerves.

Let me know when you figure out which it is.. ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager