Author Topic: I JUST WASHED MY BAHA!!!  (Read 2228 times)

JulieW4

I JUST WASHED MY BAHA!!!
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:17 pm »
I accidently washed my BAHA processor.  It must of been in the pocket of one of my jeans. Any ideas on what I should do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I took out the battery and then am going to put a blow dryer on it and put a new battery in.  I'll see if that works.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

JerseyGirl2

Re: I JUST WASHED MY BAHA!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
Julie,

I met a man this past fall who accidentally jumped in a swimming pool with his processor on. He jumped out immediately and used a blow dryer -- said it's been fine ever since, so I hope that method works for you, too.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:56:14 pm »
Julie,

I hope it's like a Timex - it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!  Your plan sounds like a good one.  Let me know if it works - hopefully I won't ever need to try it, but you never know.

And if it does work, you might be able to do a commercial for BAHAs!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JulieW4

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:18:01 pm »
IT WORKED!!! :D  I took the blow dryer to it and then put in a new battery and it seems to be working just fine.  The processor I am using now is a loaner, my processor hasn't come in yet for some reason.  I guess the FDA or something like that weren't allowing in the parts from some other country for a while so there is a back log of the processors that had been ordered.  I'm just glad that it's working and I will have to look into the commercial possibilities. I was grateful that I had a place to go immediately to ask for help.  The second I found it at the bottom of the washing machine I told my daughter to move away from the computer, she was about to start on a homework project, so that I could post what happened. 

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 01:48:38 am »
Hi Julie,
I'm glad to hear your BAHA seems like it's okay and I hope it continues to work well.  It's good to know for future reference since I just had BAHA surgery two weeks ago and this sounds like something I would do. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!