Author Topic: Santa brought my BAHA!  (Read 5985 times)

itsjustdeb

Re: Santa brought my BAHA!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:48:05 pm »
I have been deaf in my left ear from my acoustic neuroma since 2000. I tried the CROS hearing aid, but having something in my good ear made things more difficult for me so I only used it for a short time. How do I get more information on obtaining the BAHA? My husband is retired military. Has anyone else used military insurance for this purpose?
Thanks,
Debbie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 03:54:10 pm »
Debbie -

I found out about the BAHA from my neurotologist.  He did my AN surgery and he also does BAHA implants.  I know don't how your AN was treated, but if you had surgery, you could ask the doc who performed it. 

If you saw a doctor or an audiologist for your Cros aid, he/she should know about the BAHA.

Or if you go to Cochlear Americas website you can "Find a Clinic" - hopefully somewhere near you.  Cochlear's website is www.cochlearamericas.com

I didn't use military insurance, as I'm not in the military and I don't have a spouse, but my BAHA surgery and processor (tiny hearing aid) were both covered by the health insurance policy I have through my employer.  I'm not sure what military insurance policies typically cover, but if they cover Cochlears (for bilaterally deaf people) they have to cover the BAHA (for unilterally deaf people).

While most insurance companies don't cover conventional hearing aids, BAHAs are classified as implants, not hearing aids.  BAHAs and Cochlears are both covered by Medicare, so these days more and more "private" insurance companies cover them.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

itsjustdeb

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:09 am »
Jan,
Thank you for that info. I clicked on the link you put in your reply and I found out the Naval Hospital that I had my surgery at has a BAHA clinic. I am going to schedule an appointment with my primary provider and see if I can get a referral to the clinic to get the ball rolling.
Debbie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 09:24:22 am »
Great news, Debbie  ;D

I'm so happy to hear this!  If they have a BAHA demo, be sure to try it out.  I found it very impressive and it confirmed my decision to have the surgery.

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Good luck!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

itsjustdeb

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 10:02:06 am »
Wow, Jan,
I went to Porstmouth Naval Hospital on the 9th of November. They let me try the demo BAHA and wear it around the hospital. They gave me a hearing test and let me know I have no hearing on my left side. How funny is that? I think I already knew that. Then I went and saw the doctor who does the BAHA surgery. It was the same doctor who removed my acoustic neuroma in 2000. He told me he had an opening in surgery the next day. I decided to go for it. So the very next day I went in and had the BAHA implant put in. So far, so good. I am very excited about this. Thanks for everything.
Debbie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:28 pm »
Debbi ~

Congratulations!  I' hope your BAHA delivers everything you're looking for (much improved hearing ability) - and I'm sure that it will.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

itsjustdeb

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 06:18:14 pm »
Thanks Jim,
I am very excited about it and the next three months can't go by fast enough.  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 09:39:17 pm »
Debbie, that is excellent news!!!  ;D  Congratulations!!  ;D

I hope you love your BAHA as much as I love mine.

I'm a huge fan!

Let us know your BAHA Gotcha Day (the day you are scheduled to get your device) so we can put it on the AN Calendar.

Jan