Author Topic: Santa brought my BAHA!  (Read 5986 times)

Tamara

Santa brought my BAHA!
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:52:52 pm »
OK, not really.  I got my processor on the 22nd, so close enough.  So far, so good.  It is nice to be able to hear speech from the left again.  The difference in general is subtle, though, since I have excellent hearing on the right.  I haven't had any "wow, I can hear!" moments, but noticed that I didn't have to twist my head around in the drive-thru.  I am saying "What?" less often.  I think this is the type of thing that I won't notice that I have, but will miss if it's gone, if that makes any sense.

Now, my question.  I was given both a divino and an intenso to try out for a week.  I've tried the intenso since the 22nd, and have the divino on today.  I'm supposed to choose which I like best before I actually get mine on Monday.  I can't say that I really can tell the difference.  Are there any pros or cons to the models?

Many family issues have prevented me from having the time to post lately, but I try to do catch-up forum reading regularly.  I deeply enjoyed the re-post of Steve's poem from last year.  Thanks for sharing!

"And I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight
Now, did that sound come from the left or the right??"

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

sgerrard

Re: Santa brought my BAHA!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:22:48 pm »
"And I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight
Now, did that sound come from the left or the right??"

LOL!  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

RichardMS

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:40:26 am »
Tamara,
    I have the Intenso, which I'm very pleased with.  It's only about as big as the end portion of my thumb.  The volume and "mode" controls (which I think it shares with the Divino) are nice to adjust in different situations. Overall, (without having had the chance to try the Divino) I'm glad I have the Intenso. It is larger, but a little more powerful. That's probably the only caveat. Depending on your hairstyle, the size of the unit you choose may not even be a factor, leaving you free to get a more powerful model.  This is my Intenso (when my hair was shorter, now its not quite as noticeable).  By the way, it took me about a month to get used to my processor to even realize it was worth getting it...so...Enjoy!

Richard

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:20:46 pm »
Hi Tammy!

I hope you  have been enjoying the holidays!!  Congratulations on getting to try out both the Intenso and the Divino.  I am having my BAHA surgery in 9 days and am very excited about it.  My husband and kids are all sick and I am fervently hoping not to catch their colds.  I am taking megavitamins and astragalus Chinese/Korean  herb that boosts the immune system).  My doc told me the biggest differences between Divino and Intenso are that Intenso is more powerful and a little bit bigger and  that Divino is smaller and has a directional microphone.  I seem to remember Jan saying that she didn't notice any improvement in directionality, but am not sure.  I am opting for Divino in the hope that it will help that problem at least a little bit.  I know Jan loves her BAHA and is happy to talk to anyone about it.  Good luck in choosing I envy you the opportunity to try both models out.  Please post and let us know how you like whichever you choose.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »
Congratulations, Tammy  ;D

I would have responded earlier, but I was out of town for a few days visiting family.

Interesting that you get to try both the Divino and the Intenso.  Prior to having my BAHA surgery, I had the choice of either processor, but I had to choose without the luxury of any "hands on" models, so IMO you are really lucky to get to try them both out.

My neurotologist told me that it was my pick, but that the Divino is generally for those with 100% hearing in their "good" ear and the Intenso is generally for those with less than 100% hearing in their "good" ear.  From what I understand it basically boils down to the Intenso being a more powerful hearing aid.   

I chose the Divino with the idea that as I age (God willing) and the hearing in my "good" ear possibly diminishes that I can always switch to the Intenso.  Afterall, the titanium rod in my head will accommodate either one  ;)

I do like the tiny directional microphone on my Divino.  Initially I was very surprised to hear that there are left-side and right-side Divinos, but I guess when I think about that it makes perfect sense.

Wendy is right, I have talked about directionality being an issue, but it's not a huge one.  Biggest example I can think of is the infamous elevator "ding".  I can hear it great with my "bad" ear while wearing my Divino, but I still have trouble figuring out where the sound is coming from - less so than without my Divino on, though.

Let us know what you decide.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:52:16 am »
Well, I've chosen the Divino.  It WAS way cool to be able to try them both out!  Unfortunately, though, they can't seem to locate my unit.  Apparently, each device ID number is linked to a patient.  Mine was shipped in November, but we don't know where it was sent.  It might be in some obscure cabinet at the hospital where I had my implant done.  They gave me the "loaner" Divino to keep until they find it, though, so that's OK by me.  I picked the Divino because my hearing using both was so comparable.  The only thing I don't like about the BAHA in general is that you get feedback noise if it's touched.  So if I rest my head on a plump sofa, or hug someone, or the hood of my jacket bunches up around my head, I hear the nasty squeaking sound.  While this intrigues my dogs, I can't say I care for it.  My son has already learned to hug me with his head on my right.  Since the Divino is smaller, I find this happens less often.  Like Jan, I figure I can "upgrade" later if necessary.  Heck, by the time I might need it (hopefully), they'll probably have had 10 new models.

Wendy, best wishes with your surgery.  I'll be thinking about ya!
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:38 am »
Hi Tammy!
Congratulations on making your choice.  I guess when I eventually get my processor, my cat will find the feedback interesting too.  He likes to wrap himself around my shoulders and put his head against mine.  Unfortunately, his head is  always is on my right (deaf) side.  Maybe he'll learn to adapt as he has when he "talks" to me he now "talks" to my left side. 

I hope they manage to find your Divino soon, although as long as you have the loaner I guess it's not too big a deal.  Have you ever had your BAHA fall off?  I've heard it can be bumped off quite easily and my doc is recommending that I use the safety line when I get it.  That sounds a little geeky, but if it helps keep the device safe and doesn't show, what the heck!

Hope you have a very Happy New Year  -- hopefully it will be a better year for all of us!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:44 am »
Nope, I haven't had the BAHA fall off.  When you take it on and off, you do it at an angle, so whatever would knock it would probably have to do it the same way.  I was just told to use the safety line if I was doing something strenuous, like rock climbing.  I can't think of anything I'd do that would be strenuous enough to warrant the line - I can just think of places where I'd remove the processor entirely, like being at Six Flags, or something like that.  I'm also guessing I'll have to remove it when biking so my helmet doesn't rub against it.

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »
Tammy -

glad you chose the Divino - hope they located it very soon  ;D  BTW, I can't wear mine with my bike helmet - there's just not enough room in the helmet. And as far as taking it on and off, I was told to "rock it" on, but "pop" it off - usually with my thumb or first finger.

I don't have any issues with feedback - the only time I get it is when I intentionally make mine "squeak".

I've gotten to the point where I don't consciously remember when I'm wearing the processor and when I'm not - I guess hearing better has become second-nature to me.  Anyway, when in doubt, I reach up and touch my head - especially important before taking a shower  ;)  If I hear the "squeak" I know it's attached.

I also use this technique when I want to see how powerful my battery is.  I've found that a battery with a lot of "juice" left on it produces a pretty impressive squeak; one that's "on it's way out" doesn't squeak as well.   This probably sounds pretty ridiculous to those who don't have a BAHA  :D

I've never used the safety line (more like a fishing line, IMO).  My Divino has only fallen off twice since June - once the day I got it and exited the car a little quickly and a little too near the door frame  ::) and once when my son was horsing around and knocked it off my head (I assure you he won't do that  again).

If you are in a situation where you think your processor might fall off, you're probably better off not wearing it than using the safety.  As you know, processors aren't cheap and you'd hate to lose one unnecessarily.  I always remove mine when I do things like mow the lawn, etc.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:28:32 pm »
My 4 month old's nick name right now is "Grab n Snatch", and after reading this, I'm wondering how much I'll actually get to wear my BAHA when I first get it...
LOL

V

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 10:09:53 pm »
I agree with Jan -- I've never felt the need to wear the safety line with my BAHA Intenso. I think you'll find that it's quite well-anchored and, as Jan says, if you're going to be in a situation where you think it might fall off .... just don't wear it. It becomes totally second-nature, and you'll find that you really do need to check to make sure you're wearing it! I always check my head before I get in the shower, even if I've just gotten out of bed in the morning.

I look in on an online BAHA users' group from time to time -- BAHA wearers in that group who are SSD due to ANs seem to be in the minority; many of the posters have a variety of conditions and many are parents whose children wear one or even two BAHAs. (As an aside, it is rather amazing and humbling to read about the often serious and debilitating conditions many of these folks experience. Those of us whose only issue involves AN-related SSD are fortunate.) Quite a few of the parents mention that their children use the safety line, but it doesn't seem to be that frequent among adults.

I've experienced the "squeaking feedback" problem this winter with high-collared coats, vests, etc., but have learned to deal with it. I think the feedback sounds louder to the wearer than to others, though it is noticeable. I agree that the "elevator ding" situation is also an issue -- but I figure the odds are 50% that I'll turn in the correct direction, and I can live with that!

Hmmm, the thought of a baby or toddler grabbing at my BAHA is not too pleasant. Vonda, I guess this is one of those instances where necessity will be the mother of invention and you'll think of some way to manage the situation. Good luck!

I think that we'll all agree that these issues are all pretty minor compared to the benefits we get from our BAHAs!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Dawn

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »
Hi,

I am not familiar with these devices, can someone explain how it is done, I hear implant and then device   ???.  Thanks for the pic of the intenso one, I didn't realize it was on the outside of the head.  So any info on the procedure and how it works would be great.

Happy New year to all!!!!

Thanks
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:47:07 am »
Dawn -

here is a link to my BAHA pictures

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

here is a link to a website that gives you a "scientific" explanation of what a BAHA is and how it works

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:16 am »
It becomes totally second-nature, and you'll find that you really do need to check to make sure you're wearing it! I always check my head before I get in the shower, even if I've just gotten out of bed in the morning.

Catherine -

I thought I was the only one who did this!  LOL

And I totally agree with your comments on the BAHA user's website.  I haven't been there for a while, but I had the same thoughts you had.  We may be SSD, but we truly are fortunate.

Jan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 10:16:58 am »
Dawn,

I noticed on your profile that you live in Monmouth County, NJ -- I do, too. If you go to the second page of the AN Community section in forum topics, you'll find a thread entitled "New York Area ANers" which discusses plans for a January 10 get-together for New York area ANers. I imagine that Debbi and Wendy, the organizers, will be sending out more details shortly. It should be a great opportunity to meet a number of ANers on various stages of the AN journey! Please send me a PM if you'd like to chat.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ