Author Topic: Why Gamma knife was great for me  (Read 1411 times)

Loggans

Why Gamma knife was great for me
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:27:49 pm »
I had gamma knife three weeks ago.  I had absolutely no difficulty with it at that time.  I was so releived to get this done.  I flew from Pittsburg to my home in Fl the same day and went to my 6 year old's violin receital that same knife.  I was so worried and I would like everyone one to know how smoothly it went so they will not worry.

sgerrard

Re: Why Gamma knife was great for me
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:40 am »
Thanks, Loggans, a good experience is always worth reporting. What size AN did you have? (Isn't it great to use the past tense like that?)

Welcome to the forum, too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:36 am »
Good news.  I hope you remain side-effect free and that your next MRI will show necrosis.

Keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »
Loggans:

Hello - and welcome.  Many thanks for your post relating your satisfaction with your Gamma Knife procedure.  Let's hope your positive experience encourages others thinking about or facing GK in the near future.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:57:01 pm »
Hi Loggans and wecome!

Congratulations on having an easy time with your GK treatment.  Hopefully your AN will die a rapid,  quiet and uneventful death. Please keep us posted on your progress -- we love hearing good news!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Loggans

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:41:23 pm »
Hello everyone and thanks.  My tumor was diagnosed a year and a half ago when I requested an MRI because I felt "odd".  No real other symptoms.  It was 18 mm then.  I observed it with an unchanged MRI after 6 Mos and was told to have my next one 1 year later but had it at 8 Mos. because I was nervous.  It had grown only 1 mm and was 19 mm at the time of the GK.  Dr. Kondziolka did the proceedure and he was a true professional.
I went to House for a consultation but after hearing stories about craniectomy I decided on GK.  I have had no consequences from the GK so far and now it has been one month.  I am not sure when they will show up if I am going to have any.  My hearing, etc are fine and I had no downtime at all.