Author Topic: Strange Hearing Symptom  (Read 2064 times)

wcrimi

Strange Hearing Symptom
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:21 am »
I was operated last Thursday. 11/6

When I first came out of surgery and was in the IC unit, one symptom I had was a very stuffy feeling and loud pounding (like a loud drum) in my operated ear. The pounding rate matched my heart rate and the doctors assumed the the hearing nerve was still sensitive and possibly picking up on the blood flow of a nearby major artery (but that was a total guess).  It came and went during the day, but was mostly there.

The doctors (entire neurological team) said it was transitional and not to worry. It went away the next day and was gone for 4 days.  For some reason it returned yesterday, but at a much lower volume. I can make it go away by bending forward (put my head into lap) and/or lying down in some positions. Other than that it's always there and quite annoying. I suspect it's fluid related even though I have no evidence. I Just can't think of anything else that would be impacted by the position of my head and the doctors did note that the operated ear is often filled with fluid for awhile which is what often gives you that stuffed ear feeling to begin with (which I still have).

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Should I call tomorrow if it continues?

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Cheryl R

Re: Strange Hearing Symptom
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:44:49 am »
I have experienced it off and on over the last 7 years with having more than one surgery due to NF2 and no long term problem.  Still happens sometimes part of a day.         Yours should improve when swelling is better.         Feel free to ask your dr though.   
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:19:59 pm »
I think you should always call the doctor when something doesn't seem right.  My head (and the sounds I was hearing and not hearing) was a mess for weeks on end.  It's only recently that I don't feel clogged.  The fluid needs time to settle down....

This is the slowest process ever.
Ever.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:15:09 pm »
The last couple of days my tinnitus has taken on a new tune......sounds like a recorder the flute like instument plastic ones that kids play.....all day it switches from that to the low hearing test buzz.
as i sit typing i have a sock filled w/ hot barley that i microwaved on my neck becouse today has been vertigo & bobblehead w/ the new tunes playing.
finally could not take anymore took a lorazepam & 1/2 darvesette just to try & block some of it out.
Layed down my other ear starts ringing! :-\
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old