Author Topic: 'Brain surgeons drilling holes on wrong side'  (Read 8717 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Re: 'Brain surgeons drilling holes on wrong side'
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 10:17:45 am »

Hi there,

I know I know I said that my last post was my last word but just wanted to add to what Derek Just said, I think that its fantastic that Derek’s Doctors/Surgeons were able to continue with his treatment regardless of medical insurance, I too understand that finding insurance is a real grind after such a major operation (I am currently trying to get travel insurance to cover me medically when I go to the US in April, oddly nobody wants to insure me ???)
Anyway getting back to what I was saying, I referred to the whole private sector thing because when my family asked about going private Prof Ramsden told us "well you can pay if you want to but you won't get it done any faster or by a better team, I don't believe in going private but the choice is yours" he seemed to take a very dim view on private healthcare I don't know why, I didn't ask, I just figured that if there are Doctors whom solely work for the NHS then there must be those who solely work for private healthcare, I could be wrong of course.

Regards Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Derek

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 12:45:34 pm »
Cheryl...

Re the difficulty experienced in attempting to obtain travel insurance..I bank with LloydsTSB and one of the various benefits of their Platinum and Premier current accounts is that they offer gratuitous Travel Insurance. I have trawled through the 'small print' of the conditions of acceptance and I cannot find anything adverse relevant to neurological conditions particularly with regard to acoustic neuromas whether it be the pre or post-op situation. If you bank with them it may be worth considering but if you are not a client, the other major banks might also offer a similar incentive. Worth checking out perhaps?

Derek   
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 01:24:23 pm »

Derek,

Thanks for the tip, I bank with Natwest, I know they offer a gold account to customers but I've never taken advantage of it, in fact I'd forgotten all about the benefits they have to offer, I'll give them a call, thank you.

Regards Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

sgerrard

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:16 pm »
Okay, Derek and Cheryl, if this gets any cozier, we may have to intervene for a different reason...

Thanks for making up, though. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

oHIo

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 10:06:59 pm »
Must admit I did not read everyone's post for the sake of conserving time and getting to bed before the alarm goes off.

In the US the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAHO) instituted national patient safety goals to ensure patient safety due to wrong site, wrong side kind of errors.  This is the reason all of you in the US who have ANY kind of surgery that could be confused as wrong side or wrong site should be asked which side, or what site and it should be marked either by you, or a representative (meaning a family member, or physician, nurse etc. depending on the policy of the institution) and you should confirm it. 

You should also be asked for two patient identifiers, such as your name and date of birth to verify who you are. 

If you want to know what goes on behind the scenes to assure your safety in the US, google JCAHO and review some of the National patient safety goals.  Medicine is a science, not an exact one, and where humans are involved, mistakes do happen.  In the medical community, we take mistakes very seriously and do all we can to prevent them.   Marking the operative site before the patient is asleep is one way to avoid surgical errors.

ScoobyDoo

• Budding scurvy pirate.
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 12:45:12 pm »
For some reason all that I can picture is the surgeon talking to the patient saying "Oh, you mean YOUR right side???"  ::)
Budding scurvy pirate.