Author Topic: Stability Ball  (Read 6384 times)

GRACE1

Stability Ball
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:54:49 am »
The P.A. at my MRI appt last week suggested buying a stability ball to help with any balance issues in my future.  Does anyone use one of these?

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

jazzfunkanne

Re: Stability Ball
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:16:35 am »
not sure what that is does any one know
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

GRACE1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:27:13 am »
Its a large-sized ball that you sit on to do exercises.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:04:06 am »
In Rehab I used alot of different things, a board with with a small ball in the middle, a board with pipe under it, and also the stability ball. I had one of these balls at home before AN.  It is good for alot of things, incliding back exercises, abs, and balance.  For balance you just sit on it and rock from side to side, front to back, and roll it in circles while sitting on it. Depending on how long your legs are there are balls from about 35-70cm (1' 3"- 2' 4").

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:31:49 pm »
Hello,
Last week I bought a board with a small ball in the middle of it (like the one you mentioned, Dan). I have used it six times a day and I've balanced on it for 10 minutes each time. I think that I have improved my balance a lot in only one week. In the beginning I could hardly get on it and now I can balance on it for 1-2 minutes without putting my feet on the floor. This little board is easy to have at home and I recommend buying it. It isn't expensive, not in Sweden anyway, and I think it is at a reasonable price in other countries as well. Here in Sweden you can buy it in a sport shop.

Good luck!

I can tell you that the rest of my family also like standing on "my" board. I think we have some sort of competition going on here ...  :D

Christmas hugs from Helene in Sweden
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

GRACE1

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:19 am »
Donnalynn:

My daughter gave me a ball for Christmas.  I have yet to use it, but will do so soon.  As soon as I come up with some exercises, I will let you know.

Grace

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:26:35 pm »
Hi Cheri,
I don't know if you can buy the balance board on-line, but I think you can do so. These days you can buy most of what you need (and don't need) on-line. I bought my board in a sports shop and it has the trade mark "Abilica" written on it. Maybe you can search on the Internet for "Abilica" to see where you can order it. I know that Abilica also produce yoga mats, walking sticks and other sport articles. If you buy a balance board I give you the tip to stand in the middle of the board with your feet together. At first I tried to have my feet separated on the board, but it was very difficult so I realized that the purpose must be to have your feet together. Good Luck!    :)

Hugs from Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:25:59 pm »
I found a balance disc a couple of years ago in one of the discount stores...very cheap...under $10. It's a disc about 16" across maybe 2" thick and softly inflated so that it gives. At first I found it too difficult to use by itself so I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood into a circle 30" in dia. I would put that on top of the disc so that it couldn't shift as much. I would stand on it and use small dumbells for a workout. I don't use it as much since I started doing the standup paddlesurfing and i'll probably use it even less now that I have the Wii fit but it's definitely a viable exercise platform.

I also have one of the stability balls...the big one...that I use for a variety of exercises. I have a book of exercises for surfing that is all about building your core and balance and one of the exercises involves standing on the large stability ball.. :o...I'm not sure I would do that even without a AN.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 01:04:44 pm »
I've been using a balance ball for several years (great for abs and core) and got a BOSU ball before surgery to try to get a jump on balance - love them both, and there are tons of exercises you can do on both.  I picked up a great balance ball exercise book at the bargain table at Barnes and Noble for under $5.  I actually keep the BOSU ball in my office, right next to my desk and practice standing on it while I am on the phone.   ;)  You can also sit on a large balance ball while you watch tv and just by keeping yourself balanced while sitting, you'll be working your core muscles. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

GRACE1

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »
Donnalynn,

Thanks for the info about the Balance Disc Cushion.  That could come to work with me very easily.  I had thought about bringing the stability ball, but the cushion would be so much more convenient.  The new things we learn on this site - don't you love it!!!!

Grace

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 05:26:45 pm »
The disc is great for strengthening. It didn't do all that much for my balance though it seemed. This vid ads the bodyblade to something like the disc, the vibe?,i wonder if the combination would be better. The bodyblade is a surprisingly good workout. I don't have one but a friend does and I've tried it a few times and it is something else what a few minutes use will do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXEHSnek4A&eurl
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org