Author Topic: Dizzy and Cold Weather?  (Read 36806 times)

digby

Dizzy and Cold Weather?
« on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:26 pm »
Hello Folks:  I am now at 5 1/2 months and have been doing well until the last few days.  I spend a great deal of time outdoors in the Fall and have had some really good days probably a result of doing things that you have told me.  Up and down hills in the woods.  Now I am getting really dizzy to the point where sometimes I am not walking straight.  Also my eyes have gone back to wanting to close. Could this be from the cold weather that we are having or is this something that comes as part of the recovery. Thanks for any thoughts.  Warren

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Dizzy and Cold Weather?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:14:55 pm »
I know for me cold wind causes a "slight" vertigo feeling and after time spent with this cold air in my ear I become fatigued.  Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

Oh yes, and now I have "sound induced" vertigo--really blessed!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:05:22 am »
I had CK and not surgical resection. But FWIW, the cold weather doesn't seem to exacerbate my symptoms (disequilibrium, tinntius, mild-to-moderate hearing loss, mild fatigue). If anything, my tendency to become a couch potato in the winter time is what makes my disequilibrium worse.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:35:06 pm »
If anything, my tendency to become a couch potato in the winter time is what makes my disequilibrium worse.

That's what I was afraid of with the cold weather coming. I sit all day at work, and then if I come home and just sit, I was so afraid that I would have some issues. So, I went out and bought a Wii and a Wii Fit. My Vestibular PT told me that anything like that where I would be moving around, but looking at one thing (the tv) that is in the same place would be good for me. So, I will use that more this winter to keep myself from going backwards.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:58:18 pm »
My dizziness has not been affected by the cold weather, but my neck pain has. As soon as I step out into the cold I feel my neck begin to hurt. I'm not one who likes to wear scarves, but I've stocked up because it feels like it's going to be a cold winter in central California.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:44:07 pm »
I too am feeling quite dizzy thee days-especially on cold days.  And my AN-side eye is really uncomfortable.  I have tried to stay out of the wind, but my house is cold, so I think that may effect it too. Any luck finding a solution to ether of these?  I have a Wii Fit, which I bought after recommendations on this site-and I love it. Sorry to hear you are also not feeling well. Take care! Karen
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

digby

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:49:08 pm »
I haven't found any answer to my current level of dizziness and eye problem.  The weather has been all over the map with big temperature swings so I don't know if that is the problem or if there is something going on that is related to the surgery.  Has the Wii helped you.  Right now they are hard to find so after Christmas I'll start looking for one.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 02:34:59 am »
I was having a lot of problems until I started really pushing myself by doing standup paddlesurfing. Cold was one of the things that seemed to make things worse. These days I feel like I HAVE to get on the water especially when the conditions are tough. I go out all winter and nor'easters are the kind of extreme conditions that make me work my vestibular system hard enough to make a more normal life possible. I wear a full wetsuit with a hood and an earplug in my good ear both to keep the cold from bothering me and to prevent exostosis (bony growth in the ear canal caused by exposure to cold). I've seen extraordinary changes to my quality of life by pushing myself far beyond what I ever thought was going to be possible. I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy. Truthfully, I would have thought someone was crazy doing this a year and a half ago. But with the right equipment it's very comfortable...even warm...and nothing else I've done in the 4.5 years since my surgery has come close to providing the therapy this does.

This is a bit extreme...Dec 21st, 6'-7' waves..2' chop...25 mph winds and snow. I love this but a warm sunny day and cleaner waves is even more fun.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:45:37 am »
Stoneaxe,
The crazy thing is I don't think you're crazy.  You are just pushing yourself in a way that you enjoy.  Hope you continue to recover your equilibrium.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 01:37:14 pm »
Stoneaxe:

Great post. Thanks for the wild photo! I don't think you're crazy at all. It's great to see another active person on this forum, tackling their balance issues head-on. I like to do hardcore cross-country backpack trips and mountain climbing. It definitely keeps my balance system in much better shape than if I were to sit around doing nothing all day. Granted, not everyone can or would like to do such activities, but it's great to see someone like yourself on this board, someone who is reinventing their vestibular therapy to be an outdoors passion.

Way to go, dude.  :)

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 10:01:19 pm »
I've come to the conclusion that it takes extra effort to really get back to normal...or at least as close as possible. It certainly has for me. One of the things that I think makes what I do so effective is having a very flat visual reference (the water and horizon) while trying to maintain my balance in tough conditions. When I first started doing it I noticed a change almost immediately...even while I was still struggling for balance on the water I felt better, more stable, on land.

Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:01:30 pm »
Several years ago (when I already had screwed-up balance from my AN), a friend of mine and I did a long-range backpack trip with 60-pound packs up a gnarly canyon that was filled with boulders up to two stories high. We would climb up cracks to a dead end, retreat, scout out another way up, climb again, and hoist our packs up with ropes. The going was so tough, it took us 8 hours to go 1-1/4 miles. A day later, we went down another canyon that was just as bad. By the fifth day of scrambling cross-country, my balance felt 100% completely normal!

Unfortunately, my balance went back to the way it was before after sitting at home for a few days following the trip. But it taught me two things:
1. the brain's sense of balance does adapt, if only temporarily, if you exercise it enough.
2. you've got to exercise your balance system every day if you want to improve it

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 07:46:12 pm »
I too am feeling quite dizzy thee days-especially on cold days.  And my AN-side eye is really uncomfortable.  I have tried to stay out of the wind, but my house is cold, so I think that may effect it too. Any luck finding a solution to ether of these?  I have a Wii Fit, which I bought after recommendations on this site-and I love it. Sorry to hear you are also not feeling well. Take care! Karen

I have 2 friends who have had Bells Palsy. Although both are pretty much back to "normal", they both say that cold weather (and extreme hot, too) and wind is very uncomfortable and they both avoid it as much as possible. I notice in your signature you say you have or at least had facial issues. Maybe this is related to what you are experiencing with the weather?

Just a thought.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 09:05:18 am »
It got cold here in mid-December and I had a corresponding slide back to the point that I had to pull out my walking stick.  There were other contributing factors, but the cold did seem to be an issue.

Timothy
Right middle fossa on June 17 2008 -- just 5mm.  Dr. Luxford and Dr. Hitselberger at the House Ear Clinic in L.A.
Crazy dizzy but no hearing loss or facial nerve issues.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:06:46 pm »
Cheri, where did you see this special? Where can I find out more information about the tongue sensor? This is intriguing!

Best,
Tumbleweed