Author Topic: The TV show Prison Break  (Read 8738 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
The TV show Prison Break
« on: November 18, 2008, 03:07:01 pm »
So, we were watching my husband's favorite show, Prison Break last night, and Michael, the resident hero has a wee bit of a problem with a tumor in his noggin and, when ever he gets done chasing the bad guys and has a moment to spare, he'll be getting GK treatment!  His dearly beloved girlfriend, who is a doctor, was explaining the head frame to him in the episode and making it sound really bad when he gets it attached.  It will have to be tightened up with a "screw driver" she says, ominously.  He has a scared look in those blue eyes, and sweat on his brow, and I yell at the TV, "Oh come on, Michael, it ain't THAT bad! Ya big wuss!"  He doesn't pay me any attention however, and decides to forgo the treatment until he can subdue more bad guys and scare us with his wonky head moments.  So, I'm really hoping we get to see his GK treatment eventually! Cool!

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

Re: The TV show Prison Break
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:20:39 pm »
That is cool!  I've never seen the show, but I might have to tune in!  Too bad they didn't get our own LA David to play the part!  Maybe he can play the part of the doctor in charge of the GK!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:43:23 pm »
Wow, neat about having a mention of GK on TV, but what a shame that they had to give the horror story of the head frame.  I actually thought it was the easiest part....maybe I'm weird  :P.  When the docs where taking the pins out with the cordless drill, I remember thinking, "COOL, I wonder if it's a Craftsman!"  It wasn't.  Some fancy medical drill.  Nancy ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:54:37 pm »
Seriously?

I'm not familiar with Prison Break - actually not familiar with most TV shows these days - but this is very impressive. 

GK on prime time TV - very cool  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

gordy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:38:59 pm »
ok nancy since no one else agreed with you i think i will have to...you are weird lol. the head frame coming off from me was the worst part of the treatment. maybe because they didnt use a power drill with me. calling you weird was just a joke didnt mean anything bad by it.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »
Believe it or not, one of the reasons (not a big one though) I decided against GK was because I couldn't fathom having a metal frame screwed into my skull.

Not much logical here since I went on to have my skull cut open for surgery and then I opted to have it scalped and drilled for my BAHA implant.  Go figure  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:33 pm »
ok nancy since no one else agreed with you i think i will have to...you are weird lol.

We didn't say anything because we already figured that out about Nancy a while ago. ;D

Actually, though, the line "COOL, I wonder if it's a Craftsman!" makes me think she isn't weird, just cool in a different kind of way.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:22 pm »
I think you guys are all "cool". ;)

Prison Break is on Fox on Monday nights at 9.  Monday, if you watch any TV at all, is a busy, busy night.  Lots of interesting shows to fill up a Monday night and they are all opposite of one another.  Ya gotta give up a little bit of Dancing with the Stars to see it.  Or tivo Prison Break or record it or tape it or whatever you do to it.  But, who knows when they are going to actually show Michael's medical treatment.  This is a show that likes to have everyone on the edge of their seat as the heroes teeter on the brink of destruction at every turn in the road.  So they might have to drag this out a bit longer. 

Fortunately for me, the head frame was not an issue for me.  By the time they get you all numbed and drugged up, they could have drilled for oil and I wouldn't have cared.

Anyway, Michael the hero, started the show a couple of seasons ago, with a giant tattoo on his arms and chest and back as a guide for breaking out his brother from prison, and getting a full body tattoo would have been much more traumatic, I would think, that 10 minutes of head frame attachment.  Of course, in the world of TV fiction, this character doesn't require the use of this tattoo anymore, so that's a premise that's long gone and forgotten by the writers, I guess.

Sue in Vancouver,
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »
Hi Sue!  Thanks for the info, I'll have to check into that program, altho it runs opposite Boston Legal, when it is on, in its last season, which makes me unhappy.   I wonder if they'll make the headframe application realistic, or if it will seem like a spa treatment??  Actually, it was the thought of the dreaded headframe that made me rethink surgery.  It turned out to be not bad at all, and that part of the morning went off at the speed of light.  I'm doing lots better now and it's becoming a fuzzy memory, which is okay with me.  ~Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn

Sheryl

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:32:48 pm »
If  you go to www.fox.com/prisonbreak/  you can find out all about the program and actually post to the site.  I know a few years ago the program, "Crossing Jordan" featured one of the stars having surgery for a meningioma and quite a few CK and GK patients wrote in telling the producers that they should have written radiosurgery rather than surgery into the script!!!
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:51:11 pm »
Sue,
     Just want to let you know that I also watched it and was amazed that they mentioned the GK approach......This is my favorite show.   I even passed the last half of Dancing With The Stars so I can watch Prison Break.   I think next week is the last show for the season.......
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 09:01:45 pm »
I even passed the last half of Dancing With The Stars so I can watch Prison Break. 

No, say it ain't so!  ;D

Actually I hardly watch anything anymore. I'd rather be foruming...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 08:36:53 am »
Hey Jan,

Did you know that they screw your head into a metal frame during surgery too?  To hold it still.  At least they do for translab - maybe not for retro - but I have a little round scar on my forehead from where the screw went in and another one in the back (can't see that one though!).  I remember when I was in the hospital and had the big bandage on, the only part that hurt was that little spot in the front and I couldn't figure out why - then they took the bandage off and I saw the little scab on there.   Who would have guessed that little thing would have hurt more than having my skull cut open with Craftman tools?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »
Sue from New Hampshire, I think you're right.  They are building up to a big cliff hanger and then they'll go off until Jan or Feb.  Maybe we won't see Michael get his GK until next year. 
Doesn't he have pretty blue eyes!  He's a cutie patootie.  We all watch these shows for different reasons!  ;) ;D  HA

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 01:18:02 pm »
Steve,

I think COOL IN A DIFFERENT WAY is just a polite way of saying WEIRD!  But, I'm OK with it!  I am weird, and everyone here knows it.....what else can I say!

Perhaps the application of the head frame wasn't so bad because of the distraction.  My neurosurgeon is so good looking, and I could hardly keep my eyes off of him.  Plus, he and my neotologist/otologist were cutting jokes and making me laugh the whole time.   Actually I was a bit disappointed when they took the head frame off because the pins sites on the back of my head didn't bleed, and they didn't have to put a gauze wrap around my head.  Was hoping to milk that one for the rest of the day.  My husband was actually hoping for a DeWalt drill instead of the Craftsman! ;D 

Let us know, Sue, if they show a gamma knife scene on Prison Break.  I agree, LADavid would have been a good choice!

Nancy   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:40:08 pm by Nancy Drew »
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs