Author Topic: Metallic taste  (Read 2488 times)

SKT

Metallic taste
« on: January 29, 2006, 08:35:05 am »
I'm 2 years post-op.  We have filtered water at home.  Over the last 2 years, I've been changing over the filter more regularly than is recommended because I keep tasting metal in the water.  It wasn't until today, that I realised that it may not be the water at all, but me. 
Today it tasted extremely bad.   I asked someone else to taste it and they just couldn't taste the metal.  I recall that for weeks after surgery things tasted funny but thought that problem was completely gone a few months post-op.

Has anyone else experienced this metallic taste since AN surgery?

Bernadette

Re: Metallic taste
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:36:25 pm »
I stopped drinking diet coke w/lime (my favorite)  because it really tasted bad with the metal taste in my mouth. Alot of things  don't taste good anymore. My mouth is always dry, always looking for a better chapstick too. I'm 4 months post-op. I do like the new flavor of diet coke black cherry vanilla..........Bernadette

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:57:26 pm »
Yes, at times I have thought I had a metallic taste but I've decided the tastes are somewhat influenced by the basic vs. acid makeup of the thing I last ate.  I don't identify it as metallic, just prickly. 

I am having some luck settling the sensations in my mouth by using Biotene toothpaste.  Biotene (made for sensitive teeth and mouths) helps take the fuzzies away.  I sure hope this taste problem ends someday!

I still try to drink the water though, since it is important in all the body processes.

As I move into the the seventh week post-op I am thinking of declaring my "New Normal Me"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:06:45 pm by Boppie »

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 04:43:09 pm »
SKI: the metalic taste persists after 15 years for me, it has never changed just sometimes I notice it more than others
 Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:57:51 pm »
I am 7 1/2 years post op and I still experience it. It is not constant, I could go for a few weeks without noticing it and then something triggers it and it will last a day or so.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

SKT

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 06:52:17 am »
Thanks for your posts. I'm the same - it seems to flare up every now and then for me too. 

daylilly

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 08:48:08 am »
My surgery was in July and I remember first noticing the metallic taste in October.  It is similar to the taste that I
experienced when I was pregnant. At first I thought maybe that meant something bad was happening to the
facial nerve but when I got onto this site and did a search I found that it seemed pretty common. Perhaps I
am used to it now but I do not notice it as much. Chewing gum seems to mask it.
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis