Author Topic: post-op assistance for person living alone  (Read 6133 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: post-op assistance for person living alone
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 12:37:19 pm »
Wow, Nancy!

I have no idea what the job market is for paleontologists these days.  Sounds like a very interesting profession.

I'm getting a lot of responses for my accountant job though  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:21 pm »
Lori,
What's a nerve jump?  And why was it indicated.
Yeah, we had snow in April last year.  Ten feet of the stuff for the season.
Jan,
Good luck with your employee search.  You must not be prone to headaches if you're an accountant. ;)
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 03:14:45 pm »
No, no AN headaches here - only regular, garden-variety ones.

Lori had a 7/12 jump surgery which involves the facial nerves.  I'll let her explain it since it was her surgery - and since she's the nurse.

Love ya, Lori  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 03:46:27 pm »
Ah, Jan, I trust you to be able to explain it!   ;)

Anyway, Nancy, I had the 7-12 jump (medically speaking, a hypoglossal-facial nerve anastamosis) because my facial nerve was damaged by my AN and the manipulation of it to remove the AN during surgery.  My AN was quite intimate with my facial nerve, and the only pre-diagnosis symptoms I had, besides a headache, were facial numbness and tingling.  We waited 18 months after surgery to see if my facial function would return on it's own, but it didn't.

For the procedure, they take a part of the nerve that goes to your tongue and sortof splice it into your facial nerve to jump start it and make it work again.  It will be about 6 months before I see any results, if there are going to be any, which seems like a long wait, but after waiting 18 months, I think I can make it another 6.

Facial nerve problems do not happen to everyone and sometimes if they do occur, they're only temporary, so don't be terrified that it could happen to you.  Many people have had AN surgery and had no facial nerve problems at all.  Some of us are just unlucky in that respect.  But they say translab gives the best view of the facial nerve during the surgery so they are better able to avoid messing with it.

If you need any company on that exotic vacation, let me know... ;D  I think I can clear my schedule.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 05:04:03 pm »
I just might need a cohort, so free up January and February!
Ironically, my smile has always been my most valuable asset.  But I have been fortunate to have lost all of my hearing in my AN ear, so I am able to select the translab approach selfishly to attempt to avoid facial complications.
We'll see . . .
Thanks, Lori.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 05:30:17 pm »
Hey, wait a minute!! Did someone say "vacation cohort??"  If so, I'm in!  (As she pushes Lori to the side in a pathetic attempt to get to the head of the line...)  ;D 

Sorry to be jumping in late, but wanted to say "Welcome"  I've been off doing other things for a few days and it appears that I've missed lots of stuff here on the forum.  Anyway, sorry that you met the membership requirements to be part of this motley crew, but glad you found us.  Best of luck as you go through this journey.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 09:23:20 pm »
Ah, Jan, I trust you to be able to explain it!   ;)

Anyway, Nancy, I had the 7-12 jump (medically speaking, a hypoglossal-facial nerve anastamosis)

Able to explain it  ???

Hell, I don't think I can even pronounce it!  :o

Hypoglossal-facial nerve anastamosis that is - not 7/12 jump  :D

Jan

lori67

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 11:30:17 am »
It's so fun to use the medical term when you go to a new doctor or something - no one has ever heard of half the stuff most of us have had done and they just look at you like you're speaking Greek!  I have to entertain myself somehow.

Oh, sure Debbi - chime in when there's talk of a vacation...that's no fair!  I guess we'll both have to go keep Nancy company.

And Nancy - nothing selfish about wanting to avoid the facial issues.  I don't blame you one bit!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:07 pm »
I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll go for it anyway.

I live alone, too. I stayed at my folk's house for the first 5 days after I got out of the hospital. When I could finally take a shower, they had a built in bench and handrail which I found very helpful. They live in a multi-level (as I do) and I never had any problems with stairs. Just went very slowly at first. I had either my mom or my brother stay with me for the next 5 days at my house. During that week I started walking outside without having to hold onto anyone.

I always managed my own meds. At first I would write down what I took and at what time so I didn't forget. Food wasn't an issue with me. My taste was affected for about a month and everything tasted like crap, so I really didn't care what I ate.

There was no way that I could have come home without help for a while, but for me, I was on my own by 2 weeks post op. No problems, but lots of calls to make sure I was doing ok.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

JulieW4

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 02:12:51 am »
Nancy,

One thing that my best friend did for me is set up a Care Calendar.  You can find out more by going to www.carecalendar.org  It was great because people could sign up to bring food.  You can also have people to sign up to drive you to appointments, do errands etc.  It is a wonderful tool to let everyone know on your e-mail list on how they can help.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 07:52:11 am »
The care calendar is a great idea! I did forget to mention that my folks, brother or kids DID drive me to appointments, etc. for the first 5 weeks.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 08:04:26 am »
Hi Nancy,
I don't have anything more to add really, except to say that you will need help for a little while; there's just no predicting how you will be post-op.  I needed lots of help for the first few days, but after that I could have managed on my own.  I had no balance issues and got off the loopy drugs quickly but woke up nearly every night in pain.  If my husband weren't there I could have probably gotten my own pills, etc., in the middle of the night but that was the toughest part.  I say circle the wagons (recruit help from church or wherever) for about 2 weeks, with some folks "on call" for the next week or so.  Oh, and don't plan on chopping any wood. Sometimes I'm grateful to be a city girl.   :D
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.