Author Topic: Yesterday....11/5  (Read 3772 times)

Carson

Yesterday....11/5
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:08 am »
I promise not to do a day by day I just wanted to let ya know....

Dad looked a million times better...........He has all the feeling back in his face!!  And he can taste with the right side of his tongue!!!  We are just amazed!!! 

They are searching for a room for him......He is eating, sitting up, and he walked to the bathroom (with assistance of course).  The nurses didnt want him to walk but he insisted on doing it!!! 

The only real complaint he has is that his arms hurt very badly....like a deep muscle bruise.  He cant lift his arms up from his side....we have been doing lots of massage and he has been excercising them.....Oh and he keeps complaining of being hot...he is a sweater so the bandage on his head is driving him nuts!!  LOL 

Dad also said the fat graph hurts more than his head does....so I guess if somethings gotta hurt all of this is better than having a enormous headache!!!  I told him that too!!!!    If it wasnt for the pain pills knocking him out I think he would be trying to escape....And the pain meds are mainly for his back anyway!!  They gave him 2 yesterday and he refused both and only took one!  He does not like to feel grougy. 

I am just so proud of him!!!  I had to share!!!  Let you know when he gets home how it goes!!!  thanks again!

Loving daughter to my
Father recovering from AN surgery
9/4/08 at The Ohio State University Medical Center
Dr. Welling and Dr. McGregor
GO BUCKS!!!

Kaybo

Re: Yesterday....11/5
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:33:28 am »
Carson~
Thanks for the update - so glad things are going well!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:50:15 am »
Carson,
It sounds like your dad is doing great -- YAY!!  Please do update us every day if you'd like -- we are always glad to hear how someone is doing after surgery!

Best wishes to all,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

andrea in slc

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:42 am »
Carson-

Yea that your dad is doing so well! Whooo-hooooo! I like hearing how others do day-by-day, so please do keep posting!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:17:10 am »
Carson -

That is awesome news!  I can see why you're proud of your dad.    Let him know my abdominal graft incision was the only thing that hurt after my surgery too.  It goes away, but it does seem like your head would hurt more than that would!

Tell him to keep up the walkiing and he'll be outta there in no time - without having to actually escape.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:01:34 pm »
A very good progress report on your dad Carson, thanks!  Tell him we all wish him well and cheering him on all the way home!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:17:50 pm »
Hi Carson. Thanks for sharing this with us! great news and continued wellness wishes to your dad. Thanks SO much for keeping us updated..... you hang in there too!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:08 pm »
carson:

Your dad seems to be doing splendidly, and I'm very pleased to learn that.  Feel free to update whenever you wish, we're interested in these surgery success stories.  Oh, and if he really wants to escape, we can probably find a member who lives close enough to arrange a ride out of there in a getaway car.  Well, maybe not....but it's a tempting thought.  ;)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:54:20 pm »
Carson -

terrific news!  Your dad really is a trooper! 

Recovery post op takes time and patience, but I found that I felt better each and every day.  Some days my progress was slower than other days, but all in all each day made some difference in the way I felt or looked.

I never had any pain from my fat graft, but I've heard that others have, so I think that's fairly normal.  I'm hopeful you dad will get past that part soon.

Thank you so much for the update.  It's stories like this that encourage others who are awaiting their surgeries. 

Please share with us all you want.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:46:12 pm »
Yay, Carson's dad! :D

Best of luck to all of you as you travel the road to wellness.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

hannie

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 02:22:54 am »
I'm so glad your dad is progressing so well. As Jan said, it is so good as some one waiting for surgery, to hear of others coming through with flying colours. I hope his recovery continues as smoothly!

Hannie

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 04:58:34 pm »
Carson,
It sounds like your dad is doing really well. I'm so happy for all of you, especially your dad.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 06:04:57 pm »
Carson, so glad to hear all is well. ;D  My prayers are still coming in strong! I had the retrosigmoid approach done,  I never experienced a headache, even with my CSF leak, so I'm unable to relate to the abdonminal graft. I know I just wanted to sleep! It was great reading about Dr. Welling, he is phenominal! I can just picture him pulling up the chair & sitting down.
I am so glad I was able to help you through this.  ::)

Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted!!

Nancy