Author Topic: New President Elect  (Read 6311 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: New President Elect
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 12:07:25 pm »
Very well said, Daisy Head!
I was one of those people who had to fight to get on disability for 5 years in order to afford to go to a pain clinic--they refused to take my insurance and I had a very high deductibe.  My husband is a very underpaid semi-retired teacher and I've been unable to work much for the past 5 years.  Now that I can afford to go to the pain clinic with my Medicare I'm able to work a little more, but God forbid I should declare any of the income or I'll lose the Medicare and them I'll be back in the same boat.  What a Catch-22!!!

Pyhll--I believe the only mud to be slung here will be at the current system!!!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:09:47 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 12:48:18 pm »
Since the election is over, and the results are already in, there is no point in mud slinging now, so hopefully we are okay on that score.  ::)

The tasks ahead are formidable, and I'm not sure that better medical insurance will be at top of the list very soon. But hopefully things start getting put back together in some way that makes sense and adds up. I agree with "yes we can;" I am hopeful that it turns into "yes we will."

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 01:08:16 pm »
This thread was started by me.....Anne Marie.  First note, that I am a proud Canadian congratulating my family and friends in the US.  Second note, if we can have a book club and a recipe club I do not understand why we cannot discuss the New President Elect.  My words were and are nothing but praise for the democratic process.  Everyone around the world has been following the election, as well as the economic collapse of the US banking system, the raise and fall of oil and the US dollar.  What ever happens in the US is felt by the entire world. 

I have to agree with Capt Deb.  Daisy Head well said!!  I am a very passionate and compassionate person.  It breaks my heart that there are so many of us who are on this forum.  I cannot complain about the health care I have received here in Canada.  My only complaint is the lack of knowledge and the misdiagnoses.  Many of you Americans and Canadians can attest to that.  It breaks my heart Capt Deb has to pay so much for her meds.  In our part of the world it is mind boggling that so many have so much but so many more have so little.  No one should have to sell there home to pay for health care or meds. 

Mr Obama ran on "Yes we Can"  I believe he will change health care for the better.  I believe in God Bless America, I believe in this forum so therefore "Yes we Can!!"

Anne Marie a proud Canadian who believes in "Yes we Can"
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:09:52 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 05:32:10 pm »
Ann Marie/DHM:

As someone who was once a moderator on an internet political forum, I know from experience how quickly, even with the very best intentions to remain civil, a thread can go from polite discussion to acrimonious name-calling.  The problem lies in the fact that when you hold a political point of view, as most adults do, you (naturally) believe it is the 'correct' point of view.  So, when anyone disagrees, you think they're wrong.  Because no one wants to be told they're wrong, hostility often breaks out - and it isn't pretty.  We don't want that to happen here.  It isn't a matter of freedom of speech, that is a given, it's a matter of appropriateness to the venue.  Book club and recipe threads are relatively harmless subjects but anything linked to politics, such as health care insurance and politician's promises, is a minefield.

I wish president-elect Obama well and hope he can successfully address the health care insurance issue.  I know we certainly can't solve it here.  This is a support site for AN patients and their families.  There are many internet sites where we can post our political views, state our ideas and complaints about the U.S. health care system and generally have our say on contentious issues.  I trust that our members will keep this forum a place of help and respite for those dealing with an acoustic neuroma, not a place where arguments and bickering occur (to no avail).

Anne Marie, I appreciate your sentiments regarding the election and your obvious concern regarding the cost of health care and some medications. and I, too, pray that God will continue to bless our county.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:47:10 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 06:09:42 pm »
Hi,

Did I miss something? I didn't notice.

If my comment on my huge medical insurance bills each month was seen as political, it wasn't. The comment had a whole lot to do with MY AN. Neither party has been able to address this healthcare and because of my AN I am having real issues with this. If I made it sound acrimonious - I do apologize. I love the participants of this site and sometimes subjects do seem to overlap that could fit on another site, also.  I just thought others may be having similar problems. Maybe even answers. I surely don't know the answer and I won't try here. This is my last post on this thread, I promise,  ;)  I don't want to send the wrong message. Because you guys are the best!!!!!!!!

Either party that won, I would wish them well. Both are good people. I wish everyone well. 

Take care,

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 07:20:59 pm »
This news story made the headlines here in the Pacific Northwest- tonight. It is not an acoustic neuroma but his story is one that is familiar to us.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/34078799.html

This link explains what sort of Neurofibromatosis he has.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neurofibromatosis/neurofibromatosis.htm

The idea that insurance would not cover available medical treatment is a very sad one… It took one very caring Safeway shopper who rallied to get this man funding, help and support from the community… and a surgical team willing to waive the bill...

May the future be very different for others who follow in his path and may they get the health care they need. May the elect and the people who vote understand how unfair it is that so many people fall through the cracks and are left between a rock and a hard spot?

I anticipate with hope- change… Change in attitudes, ideas, and in healthcare.

I will pray for a speedy recover of James O'Neal. May he, and others who have had a life of being disadvantaged, see changes in their future and in attitudes of “we the people�...

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:03 pm »
I have faith that our fellow ANers will use this post appropriately.  My hubby and I cancel out each other's vote so to say.  It is not an issue! 

Got an email from my aunt in Australia.  She said everyone down under cheered when Obama won.  Just passing on some world news.  PEACE!!!

Nancy ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 08:07:04 pm »
AnneMarie  :-*

No worries and completely understand the goal in starting this thread! :) Truly.  As Jim notes, passions can run high. I know, in my conversations with the Captn, her frustrations in trying to obtain assistance with her medications with the alloted amounts run out is truly unnerving to what we endure here.  Our US Heathcare system does leave things to be desired, as with any country's healthcare systems (ie: I've experienced the healthcare system in the UK while I was there and had to be rushed to the emergency room/A&E).

My hope is that the healthcare agenda will rank amongst items at the top of the list when the new administration takes affect (as will the current economic crisis and war overseas).  If memory serves me right, Sen. Ted Kennedy will also continue leading the charge on that as well.  As with any election, regardless of location, one hopes that the ails of the land will be addressed and cured.

Just my thoughts... no biggie.

Thanks all!
Phyl
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:26:19 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 09:26:07 pm »
Oh Anne Marie, you made me have tears!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 02:53:08 pm »
No matter who you voted for, you can't help but be impressed with the people of the US.  My newly naturalized Canadian friend and my son cast their first vote ever in a US election.  I for one am happy but I know the road ahead for President-elect Obama won't be an easy one.  We can all relate to that.  :)  May God keep him and his family safe.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:56 pm »
Also, Anne Marie, maybe your son can explain the Electoral College to me!  ;)

My only wish is that somehow somebody could change the rules so that campaigning for public office can only begin 1 year before the elections.  Good Grief Grace, it seems like they have been campaigning for about 5 years!   All that yammerin' was affecting my Acoustic Neuorma!  Even mostly half deaf it was a bothersome thing, all those ads.Ya couldn't even turn a deaf ear, so to speak.   And the more speeches they did, the louder my tinnitus got!  There, see, I incorporated my AN to the political talk!  ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, God Bless America, God Bless Canada, our very good friends to the North, God Bless all of Europe, Africa,  Asia, Australia, South America, Antarctica, Central America, Mexico and all the points in between and any other major landmass that I might have missed. God Bless all the people everywhere dealing with AN's, and all the other major and minor diseases that afflict themselves onto humanity.  God Bless all the people struggling around the world in bitter poverty or under the thumb of a harsh political entity.   :'( 

It's a new chapter for America, and God willing and the Creek don't rise, this is going to be AWESOME!

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 09:13:32 pm »
You Betcha! ;)

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:49 pm »
The news story I shared above about the patient with a facial tumor in the Pacific Northwest has an update 

Here is a more recent news story
http://www.komonews.com/news/35044849.html

And here is the patient’s blog spot for any who cares to follow
http://friendsofjamesoneal.blogspot.com/

Today was a big day as the 44th president was sworn in. Many are counting on Edward Kennedy to lead a new direction for people, such as the man above who have no healthcare (not to mention the many who do have healthcare but insurance companies think this facial tumor stuff is cosmetic surgery.) I will continue to pray for Edward Kennedy as today he suffered a seizure at the president’s inauguration luncheon. Here is a news video from the associated press (scroll down to the video on google news here "Sen. Kennedy OK After Seizure AssociatedPress")
http://tinyurl.com/TedKennedy

Senator Kennedy, as many of us An’ers know, is still recovering from the removal of a malignant brain tumor and we all know too well how exhausting brain surgery can be. He is only 7 months post op… not to mention his age and a big high profile luncheon “to do� on top of all things. Gee I do not think I could have gone out partying 7 months post op and I am half his age…

Both James O'Neal of Kirkland and Senator Kennedy are in my prayers today as they are part of our “recover from the TUMA club�.

Yes the "New President elect" topic does have much to do with TUMA's... I want to remain optimistic that things can change and the underinsured can get as good of medical care as those who are well insured- in our ANA inclusive group too.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

joebloggs

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 07:02:07 am »
Well said
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!