Author Topic: Two Contradictory MRI Findings  (Read 4337 times)

JackieLouBlue

Two Contradictory MRI Findings
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:39:43 am »
 ??? ???

Hi everybody!  Well, this is strange!  My first MRI with and w/o contrast shows the following:  Ill-defined CSF signal lesion in the left cerebellopontine angle with some mass effect,
most likely represents an arachnoid cyst.  Measures 1.2 x 2.0 cm...Due to the presence of mass effect, a prominent cerebellopointine cistern is felt to be less likely.

I was then referred to my neurologist who then referred me to a top notch neurosurgeon voted by his peers to be the "best neurosurgeon in America" at Emory University
in Atlanta.  He, his PA and 3 radiologists read the same MRI and the findings were normal.  However, in light of my symptoms, they are going to do 1 CT of the brain with
and w/o contrast, 1 CT of my cervical spine with and w/o contrast, 1 MRI with and w/o contrast of the brain and Internal Auditory Canal in 3D, and 1 Cervical Spine MRI with and w/o
contrast.

My question is this:  Have any of you had MRI's, CT's, etc. in 3D that diagnosed your conditions versus just regular MRI's, CT's with and w/o contrast?

I will have all four tests on December 3rd.

Thanks everyone,
Jackie   ???
JackieLouBlue

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Two Contradictory MRI Findings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 06:48:40 am »
Hi Jackie,

I have not heard of the 3-D exam, but I am not in the medical field. I just want to wish you well. Sounds like you are in really good hands.

Cheering you on!

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:59:29 am »
Wow, Jackie - pretty interesting.  I don't recall reading about anyone who had to have that many tests, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I'll be curious to see if anyone else posts who's had similar testing done.  Meanwhile, try not to make yourself crazy with worry (cheap advice, I know...)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:32:25 am »
Have any of you had MRI's, CT's, etc. in 3D that diagnosed your conditions versus just regular MRI's, CT's with and w/o contrast?

My first MRI was described thusly on the radiologist's report:

Scans are performed on the 3.0 Tesla Philips Gyroscan Intera Unit. T1 sagittal, diffusion, PD
T2, FLAIR, GRASE T2, T1 post contrast, axial images of the whole brain, as well as targeted pre and post
contrast T1 axial and post contrast T1 coronal, and posterior fossa T2 turbo-spin echo 3D images were
obtained.

Maybe they mean you are getting some T2 turbo-spin echo 3D images.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JackieLouBlue

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:52:13 am »
Thanks everybody.

Here's what the impression read from the 5 doctors and their recommendations:  Normal unenhanced and enhanced MRI of the brain.  The left cerebellopontine angle cistern is more prominent than the right, but this is asymmetry is felt to represent normal anatomic variation.  (hmmm, sounds like a chunk of my brain is missing  LOL)  If the patient's symptoms persist or worsen,
a dedicated MRI of the temporal bones without and with IV contrast could be obtained for further evaluation.  I am assuming that these are the scans I will be getting that will show the cranial nerves in the Internal Auditory Canal.

The technique that was used prior to showing these 5 doctors who said MRI was normal  is this:  The study consists of pre-contrast whole brain sagittal T1w SE, and axial T1w SE, Tw FSE, FLAIR, and diffusion-weighted images with ADC maps, followed by post-contrast axial and coronal T1w SE images.

Thanks,

Jackie   :-\
JackieLouBlue