Author Topic: Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself  (Read 4644 times)

MKLady

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »
I still weave a little in the halls at work but have noticed that not as much as before.  And I'm feeling so much better that I thought I would cut the grass in my front yard and pick up a few sticks, etc.  My first time since surgery in April.   Well I must be getting better because while cutting the grass I completely forgot I had balance issues so when I saw the the hose was draped across the yard and needed to be moved, I proceeded to gather up a big armful of it and to toss it over behind the bushes where the spicket (sp) is.  Well guess what happened...I went right over into the bushes after it and landed spread eagle, face down across the bushes.  Fortunately they weren't prickly.  It was one of those "oh my gosh, did anyone see me" moments.  Sometimes you've just got to laugh.

Just wanted to share. ;D

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:33 pm »
So glad that you're okay. Who cares if anyone saw you!!!!! I think it's great that you're out there testing your endurance.
Angie

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:49:01 pm »
Hi Susan,

Good to hear from you!  Hope you're doing well!  And, yes, I think it says a lot that you had "forgotten" about your balance issues and were just out doing a regular everyday chore - glad you weren't hurt, though.

Keep in touch,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »
Oh Susan, you're so right!  I've done things like that myself and catch myself hoping there was no one around to see it!

I'm glad they weren't prickly bushes!   :o  And I'm really glad to hear you weren't throwing the hose over a cliff or something! 

At least we can entertain ourselves!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:44:09 pm »
Susan -

thanks for sharing this "funny" with us.

It reminds me of the first time I mowed the lawn post op.  I generally walk around in circles while I'm mowing, but after my surgery I found that this made me extremely dizzy and off balance.  The neighbors probably figured I'd had a few drinks before I went outside to mow  :D

Oh well, at least I gave them something to talk about that evening  ;D

Sometimes laughter truly is the best medicine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:46:07 pm »
One time our yard looked like a giant checker board after Dave fertilized - I promise, it was BAD - & he wasn't even the one with the AN!!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:22 am »
I've had moments like these too and I like to think IF someone were watching at least I added humor to their otherwise boring conversation over dinner!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 03:22:20 pm »
Susan:

We all have these moments and they are humorous.  Recently, I was helping my adult son move.  In the process, I thoughtlessly jumped off the back of the truck's tailgate after helping to unload it.  Unfortunately, I landed a bit askew and lost my balance.  I ended up sprawled on the grass.  Fortunately for my pride, no one saw this happen.  I got up quickly and for the rest of the move, I climbed off the truck's tailgate slowly and carefully....no more jumping.  Still, I had to chuckle at myself sprawled on the grass, forgetting that (a) I'm not 25 anymore and, (b) my balance, though serviceable, is somewhat precarious.  Lesson learned. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.