Author Topic: Hello  (Read 8035 times)

shersnumber3

Hello
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:09:15 pm »
Hi, my name is Karli... I am Sher's daughter (the third one, that's what the screenname means  :)  )  I am here to support my mom.  I hope you don't mind me poking around to see what she is actually going through, and seeing what can be expected.

Thank you all so much for the support and info you give my mom!  I love her very much and just want her to feel better!

Thanks again,

Karli

sgerrard

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:47:53 pm »
Well Hi, Karli, you are welcome to poke around all you like, and post questions if you have any. No need to be shy. ;)

As for your Mom (Sher), she will be having some effects from the radiation treatment over the next six months or so, if she is like most radiation patients. Hopefully they will come and go as they usually do, and not turn into anything major. Some of the effects of the AN itself, like the balance and dizziness issue, will take some time for the brain to adjust to, but most people manage to compensate for whatever loss they have had, and return to what we like to call a "new normal," which is a decent and reasonable situation, once you get used to it.

The best thing you can do is be supportive and continue to love her very much, that will make all the difference in the world to her.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:43:42 am »
Hi, Karli -

nice of you to join us.  Clever screen name, too  :)

I think that joining us to support your mom and see what she is going through is an excellent idea.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:48:49 am »
Hi Karli and welcome! Well, you did find the spot for you... right here, to help support mom! :) Thrilled to see you here!

I know mom has been starting to feel some side affects from the CK treatment... and has a road to travel (as Steve noted, for the possible next 6 mos or so).  We're all here to share our experiences with her.. and with you... so, you can see how well we've come through it (Steve and I had the same treatment option as your mom and as well as others here, can understand some of the possible side affects she will have). We're here to help you understand what mom may experience, to help hold hands as she goes through this....  but most of all, give our good ears and shoulders as you watch mom endure but to help you understand the processes as well.

tickled to have you here! Mom is so very blessed to have you and to have you here to help her during the post-CK process.  You are so very special!

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:59:26 am »
Karli~
Hi and welcome!  Thanks for being so supportive of your mom - that is wonderful!  Hope we can help you to help her!!
 ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:09 am »
Hi Karli.

That's very sweet of you to be so concerned for your Mom.    I didn't have radiation, so I can't really comment on what it's like afterwards, but wanted to welcome you anyway, and let you know it's absolutely okay to be poking around!

And I had to laugh at your screen name.  I am the youngest of 4 daughters - my dad could never get our names straight, so eventually, he'd just start calling us by our "number". I, of course was Number 4 - although I like to think I'm Number 1!   ;)  It got to the point where even his secretary at work would call him when I came to visit and say "Number 4 is here to see you".

Anyway, hope your mom is doing well.  She's lucky to have you to watch out for her! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 02:08:43 pm »
Hello right back, Karli! 

Thanks for taking the time and having the interest to peruse the website, register and post a message that is related to supporting your mom.  We do whatever we can for all our members but frankly, family support is one of the absolute best things for any AN patient.  Your obvious love and concern for your mom is not only admirable but 'good medicine'.    Thank you, Karli.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sher

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:25:14 pm »
Karli,

I just realized today from a post on the Cyberknife forum that you had posted on this site.  I am so very touched that you would take the time to check out the forum and lend your support this way. It brought tears to my eyes. Know that I love you dearly and am so appreciative of your love and concern for me. I couldn't get through this without you, your sisters and your dad. You have always had such a kind heart and spirit. I am so blessed that you are my daughter.
Love,
Mom (Madre) :-*
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:43:29 am »
hi Karli and Sher,

I just want you to know how touched I am by your posts here. This is what I feel - Sher, you are reaping the benefits you earned by being a great Mom. Karli, your spirit and love will give you many gifts back in life. WOW inspiration. :)

Take care,

Mary 8)

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK