Author Topic: Insurance thoughts  (Read 10692 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Insurance thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »
Another point I forgot to mention in my last post.

Often insurance companies send claims and precertifications "out for review".  When they do this, make sure your claim or precertification is reviewed by a doctor who has qualifications comparable to your doc.  This is a called a "peer review" and it is YOUR RIGHT as an insured.

For example, if your BAHA surgery is to be preformed by a neurotologist, insist that the insurance company have their review done by a neurotologist who does BAHA implants.  If they have a regular MD or an ENT review your request, chances are you'll be turned down because the regular MD or ENT is unfamiliar with BAHAs.

After my AN surgery my insurance company questioned why my hospital stay was 6 days when they felt it should be only 5.  I asked how they determined that.  They told me that the review their doctor had done said that 5 days was the standard.  I asked what their doctor's qualifications were.  I was told he was an internist.  While I have nothing against internists, I told them that an internist who was unfamiliar with my case and has never performed brain surgery had no business telling me, or my very qualified doctor who has performed many brain surgeries, how long I should be hospitalized after my surgery.  I insisted that they do a peer review.  The 6th day was paid for in full, which is a darn good thing because I couldn't have afforded it.

Bottomline, the more money insurance companies pay out in claims, the less they can keep in their pockets.  Sometimes you've got to fight them to get what you're entitled to.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:44 am »
Hi Jan,
You make some very good points.  Glad you know how to stick up for yourself too, I've learned not be be afraid of pushing for what I believe I'm entitled to with insurance companies.  When my mother had leukenia and was dying my parents insurance companyt decided to start giving them a hard time and even dropped her.  I went to the New York State Department of Insurance with thier case and even though it took months, all the bills were paid retroactively to the date that the insurance was discontinued.  I'm sure the insurance company probably got a slap in the wrist too.  My father never had a problem with that company again.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
Wendy -

that brings up another good point.  Every state has a department of insurance that insureds are entitled to appeal to.  I may be wrong, but I believe your insurance company is required to tell you this. 

If you think your coverage request has been denied unfairly, or your claim has been handled incorrectly, you can contact your department of insurance without penalty from your insurance company.

Might be an option for Soundy, but I'm not certain.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 08:23:12 pm »
The woman at work that does insurance fights has talk to people on the state level and that is
an option that will be pursued if things don't start going alot better ... she is having to fight for
her husbands right to treatment which is good for the rest of us that are having problems ...
According to the state they can not find anything illegal that BCBS is doing ...

the high deductible plans lie we were switched to ,  are to reduce unnecessary trips to doctors and
unnecessary hospitalizations ... we had a man that had a supplemental AFLAC plan that paid directly
to him and would take his child to the ER for something as simple as a splinter... the old plan
paid the ER bill and AFLAC sent him money... abuse like this is what is costing me  now in health
care I am not getting ...

I did find out that Tenn Care would pick me up under a catastrophic plan ... but I have to divorce
my husband and collect no alimony and live in a different residence and not earn any more
than $469 a month... sounds like a plan to me (read with sarcasm)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery