Author Topic: Cyberknife Scheduled  (Read 2921 times)

Anomar11

Cyberknife Scheduled
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:41 am »
Hi All,

Thought I'd give an update.  I'm scheduled for CK week of Nov 8 at Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs.  Last time I checked in, I had just heard back from a CK unit in the midwest who advised surgery.  This took me very much by surprise as it was a radio onc. recommending it.  I subsequently sent my MRI CD to Drs Medberry and Chang who graciously reviewed it and responded that I was a candidate for radiosurgery.  Dr. M did advise I go somewhere with some experience - likely because it's butted up against my brainstem?  Mayo clinic also strongly advocated experienced centers.  So 4 of 5 docs said RS was ok.  I got tired of trying to figure out who in this neck of the woods has enough CK experience, so decided to go to one of the big guys for peace of mind.  Lodging will cost about the same regardless of location (we'll economize as best as possible).  Anyway, I've been a bit down, feeling saturated with information, etc, but am now very glad to be getting this rascal taken care of.  It's gone on a bit longer than I had hoped, due to scheduling conflicts on my side and theirs, but when it's all said and done, I'm likely only about 6-7 weeks longer than I'd originally hoped, and will be 6 months out from dx.  No new symptoms, but original ones flare more and are a bit worse.  Tinnnitus louder and more constant, ear fullness and pain/burning that goes down into my throat.
Once again, I want to thank all of you for everything.  It was this board and the CK support forum that helped me so tremendously when I was first diagnosed.   Take care.   Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

windy

Re: Cyberknife Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:15:05 am »
Hi Mona,

I'm glad you made your decision.  I know which route to take is time consuming and often confusing.  You are wise to go with an experienced team.  I wish you the best on your treatment.  Take care! 

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

carter

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:57 am »
good luck and enjoy some of your trip.   

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:15:23 pm »
Mona:

I'm pleased to learn that you've settled on a treatment (CK) and facility.  I support your decision and would add that spending money on your health is certainly logical.  I didn't have to travel far but I would have went wherever necessary for my treatment (surgery and radiation) and worried about the expense, later.  What good is money if you're suffering with AN symptoms and generally making things worse by postponing treatment?  No question, you've done the right thing.   

I'm very gratified to learn that you found this website and, specifically, the message boards, informative and helpful.  Now, focus on your upcoming treatment and the good outcome I'm sure you'll have.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:46:42 pm »
Mona

One big monkey off your back in making your decision.... now, will be cheering you on and let's get that bugger stopped in its track! :)  Congrats on completing the decision making process (I know it was a tough one for you)... and now.. onward and upward to wellness.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 06:37:01 pm »
Mona -

glad to hear you've made your treatment decision - a very hard thing to do, as you know.

Chang & Gibbs have an excellent reputation - as you also probably know.

Please put your treatment dates on the AN Calendar so we can all remember to wish you well.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:17:44 pm »
I liked Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs. You will too. Actually Larry and Eileen do most of the work, but you will like them as well. :)

There is a link to the calendar below, so you can put your treatment date on it. Now all the hard work is over; just relax and let it happen.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 01:23:16 am »
Best of luck to you Mona as you get on with the rest of your life!   Don't be a stranger.  Please let us know how everything is going for you.  Curious minds and all.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Anomar11

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 09:17:14 am »
Thanks everyone for your kind words and well wishes.  I'll put it on the calender and keep you posted.  These two weeks can't go fast enough!   Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9