Author Topic: Possible last live gig before translab  (Read 11287 times)

joebloggs

Re: Possible last live gig before translab
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 07:56:14 am »
Hi to the recent posts on this thread, thanks for your replies!  Doing ok and getting ready for SSD... op in about a month, actually Steve, looks like we are following a similar path, very similar sized AN's, right side, numbness, op in March... good luck!!!  I'll be thinking of you!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Seal

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »
Likewise Joe!   We can have an on-line gig when we party after this is over!!     I wish us both good luck!!     
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 09:22:50 pm »
Steve,

When you get a firm date, do like Joe did and put your date on the calendar. The link is in my sig line below. Then LADavid will include you in the weekly round up and all of us will remember to wish you well. Adding your birthday is optional. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Seal

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »
Steve,

Thanks  for the link.   I've updated the calendar.    Joe, I may need to win the lottery before April so I can fly to AU for our Scar Head Party!!!      Do you have any beer down under?     

Best wishes!
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

joebloggs

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 03:28:42 am »
Ha ha ha, do we have beer down under?  Yep... just a bit!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Keri

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 01:21:28 pm »
Hi Joe,
I'm a musician and play with an ensemble at my church. We've recorded a couple of CD's plus I love going to concerts and music is a HUGE deal to me. I felt all the ways you do about going 'mono.' So much of what I love to do is built around really hearing music!

I tried to do some music concerts before surgery and I'd always think 'this is the last time i'll hear this with both ears.' i went to a symphony and i could tell the difference with how much hearing i'd lost. I went to an organ concert at this big cathedral, and that was awesome! the lowest pipe was so low and 'bass-ey' and loud that my bad ear could hear everything very well (since my hearing for bass was better).

My hearing in my left ear had gotten quite bad (about 60% gone). Lots of humming and high pitched ringing in my left ear.
I'm now 3 weeks post op. Since I had translab, I'm now SSD on the left.  I'm trying to do the things I loved to do before the AN... like sitting in the living room and just listening to music. Sometimes it really does sound like the music comes in on my left. It doesn't always feel all mono. However, on the contrary, there's times when the left side of my head feels completely empty!
Plus in some environments, sound can be all bouncy and different. I'm getting used to it I suppose.

THe ringing in my AN ear has improved, so maybe now I'm hearing less, but of a better overall quality.
I was happy to read these posts because I had no idea there was a stereo to mono adaptor for an ipod (i need to get one of those - jan / leapyrtwins always gives me the best ideas!)

I haven't played with my music group yet post op. Hope to in the next couple of weeks. They all stand on my left - we'll see how that goes. They'll be patient with me, I'm sure.

I guess what I'd like to point out is, hearing is different but i thought it would all sound much worse. Since it's better quality, it's not as bad as i thought. I also thought that once my translab was finished i would be RUSHING to get that baha. but, the thought of another surgery now is.... no way ! even though it's not as 'bad' as translab, i just don't want to do that right now.
So, i'm thinking that if i live with the SSD for a while and get used to it, by the time i do get a baha, maybe it will just seem so much better that i'll be thrilled!

Is your date in March? I always forget where the calendar is!

Hope all goes well with you - keep us updated!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Parkcomm

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
Keri and all,

I'm in the same boat - I play in Jazz bands and usually lead the band. To comp during improvistation I need to clearly who is playing what at any time. Not sure how going mono might effect that.

At the moment I have small tumor and am in the wait and see categoy, so I have the luxury of time. In the meantime I've decided to put a band together and have as much fun as i can, just in case.

So this begs the question - what else should I be doing just in case.

Considering all of the possible side effects what else goes on the "must do before surgery" list?

Any suggestions?

Brendan

Diagnosed with .7cm vestibular schwannoma December 2008.